The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Finlay21 said:

That’s a very strange comment , we won the league , yet you are moaning saying we would not have won the play offs ,being Champions showed we were the best team in the league over a full season , 

We were struggling in the run-in, Raith pulled back a big point gap towards the end of the season and it looked like we had well and truly fucked it. It came down to the width of the post in the last kick of the last game. Whoever lost the league was always going to lose the play-off such as the way the league went. Raith proved that, both teams looked punch drunk at the end. 

We scored the most goals and were the most entertaining but much like the 87-88 team, we were pushed all the way and by no means won the league at a canter. 

16 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Not that strange.  I remember Paddy Boyle doing a podcast interview where he said  that he didn’t think we’d have got through the playoffs as the mental impact of blowing the title in the last 2 games would have been too much.  

Was the Pele Podcast with the guy that does A View From The Terrace - Paddy said exactly that.    

From a fans perspective maybe having Shankland back from suspension and with a point to prove having lost us the title might have helped but I'm just glad we didn't have to find out 

2 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

That’s a very strange comment , we won the league , yet you are moaning saying we would not have won the play offs ,being Champions showed we were the best team in the league over a full season , 

It is not strange at all. I agree with Thumper, we very much stumbled over the finish line. To not acknowledge the very fine margins is triumphalist horseshit.

30 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Was the Pele Podcast with the guy that does A View From The Terrace - Paddy said exactly that.    

From a fans perspective maybe having Shankland back from suspension and with a point to prove having lost us the title might have helped but I'm just glad we didn't have to find out 

Aye, that's the one.

Talking of A View From The Terrace, how good was the wee feature on Somerset Park, excellent stuff.

Edited by AuAl

2 hours ago, AuAl said:

Aye, that's the one.

Talking of A View From The Terrace, how good was the wee feature on Somerset Park, excellent stuff.

I only watched it because we were on it. A nice little feature made even better by a cameo appearance by moi 😂

Edited by Thereisalight..

7 hours ago, HMIP said:

Not that strange.  I remember Paddy Boyle doing a podcast interview where he said  that he didn’t think we’d have got through the playoffs as the mental impact of blowing the title in the last 2 games would have been too much.  

of course it’s strange , we won the league , why mention play offs when we were not involved , did we need to win a  play off when we had the league championship trophy ? 

6 hours ago, wuffster said:

It is not strange at all. I agree with Thumper, we very much stumbled over the finish line. To not acknowledge the very fine margins is triumphalist horseshit.

We won the league though , the league is played over a full season , the points tally showed we were the best team over that period , playing a few bad games at the end of the season did not effect the outcome , so why mention play offs when we were not involved , 

So...does anyone fancy us to win today?  Rovers best attacker suspended it seems and off down to QPR for a trial. That has to help.

A bit late to mention, but I thought the away support in general last week summed up where we are at the moment.  We got in 5 mins late as the ticket system was gubbed and stood outside you couldn't hear a thing.  Got inside and once we conceded it was just a resigned silence - from about 30 mins on I just stood with my pal chatting quietly with the game almost on in the background similar to the Chelsea game had been in the pub previously- both sets of players and both sets of fans knew the game was absolutely dead after about 20 mins and nobody in our end even seemed to have the energy to care.  Sad times.

43 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

of course it’s strange , we won the league , why mention play offs when we were not involved , did we need to win a  play off when we had the league championship trophy ? 

I'm not sure any Ayr fan is saying we weren't the best team and didn't deserve to get promoted. I think the point was that McCall time at the club is still held in high regard particularly for winning the league and the following Championship season but that in actual fact things could have turned out differently had we not won the league as it was highly unlikely the players would have recovered to go up through the play-offs. I'm sure it was more an acknowledgement of McCall's tenure having some fortune going in his favour (compared to recent managers) rather than moaning about something that never happened.

Before that Albion Rovers game someone within the club told my dad that McCall had a job offer and was away if we didn't go up so I think it's a valid point to make that we had some luck and without that we wouldn't have built on that team to become established in the Championship, unfortunately those foundations weren't very solid and that's why we are now where we are.

Awfy defensive Robbo, no one is saying we didn’t deserve to win the league. It’s just a bit of speculation.

We won the league though , the league is played over a full season , the points tally showed we were the best team over that period , playing a few bad games at the end of the season did not effect the outcome , so why mention play offs when we were not involved , 

Just because we won the league doesn't guarantee we win the playoffs.  Raith Rovers. Never even made the final.  

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

Awfy defensive Robbo, no one is saying we didn’t deserve to win the league. It’s just a bit of speculation.

just stating a point , poster said we would not win play offs , I stayed it made no difference as we won the league so why mention play offs 

We won the league and didn't have to suffer a loss at a play-off, that's only a good thing. However, more recently, the premier League play-off against Inverness at Somerset is one of the worst games I've stood through, the belief in the build up to the game, Ayr in the premier League, evaporated after 45 minutes of Dross football.

It's really quite bad that, over just a few seasons, we are staring at league 1 football again. The belief and hype that the team had is gone. McCall had the gift-of-the-gab and had the ability to put an idea in the head of the fans....where I'm led to believe that David Hopkin has never had an idea and only dished out nightmares.

Ayr need that belief back, whatever way possible.

Feel quite bad for @Finlay21 on here these days. He’s trying to be quite fair in his view of the club but of course seems to be an employee/volunteer so he can’t exactly just throw the club under the bus as harshly as some others do as he most likely has to deal with some of the people who make decisions behind the scenes and on the football side on a daily/weekly basis.

There is also a fair bit of contradiction of views going on as well with people not being happy that the focus is on the Hub and would rather have everything focused on the team on the park - at the same criticizing the club for not sorting the social media out, the programmes out etc.

I’m not saying that you can’t criticize the club unless you get involved but with all those background things being a bit below the standard you expect why don’t you pop into the shop/club and offer your skills to help out. I’m sure the club would be happy with the additional volunteers.

Listen lads.

Ayr don't win much so why pick holes in what you have won.

You clearly deserved to win the league as its played over the whole season and not just a couple of matches as Finlay said.

Enjoy the successes, why be critical.

Good luck today as well.

Edited by Hawkeye the Gnu

3 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Feel quite bad for @Finlay21 on here these days. He’s trying to be quite fair in his view of the club but of course seems to be an employee/volunteer so he can’t exactly just throw the club under the bus as harshly as some others do as he most likely has to deal with some of the people who make decisions behind the scenes and on the football side on a daily/weekly basis.

There is also a fair bit of contradiction of views going on as well with people not being happy that the focus is on the Hub and would rather have everything focused on the team on the park - at the same criticizing the club for not sorting the social media out, the programmes out etc.

I’m not saying that you can’t criticize the club unless you get involved but with all those background things being a bit below the standard you expect why don’t you pop into the shop/club and offer your skills to help out. I’m sure the club would be happy with the additional volunteers.

The hub is fantastic, and the pub looks great. 

However, the only communication out of the club is around this - we aren’t even informed when players are out injured and for how long. Frankly, if we are utter shite then I wouldn’t use the hub - you don’t exactly want to prolong the match day experience! 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

The hub is fantastic, and the pub looks great. 

However, the only communication out of the club is around this - we aren’t even informed when players are out injured and for how long. Frankly, if we are utter shite then I wouldn’t use the hub - you don’t exactly want to prolong the match day experience! 

Which I think is fair and the overall point that was made on here a couple of weeks ago. If results are good we are all happy to turn a blind eye to everything else with our club and when results are bad we end up feeling like the whole club is a disaster, we’ve been the same over the last few years.