The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

I was confident of this until yesterday, the halfarsed approach yesterday and the comments coming out of the club make me concerned that by boxing day, we will not only be bottom but a few points adrift by then.  

I'd be surprised if we weren't bottom going to Rugby Park to receive a 4/5 goal hounding.  Least we have a Hub though should be thankful for that. 

Not really a criticism of Murdoch and more about a general lack of leadership and character but 2/3 years ago he’d have been about 8th or 9th in line for the captaincy and same with set pieces. Now he’s the 3rd choice captain and takes the majority of free kicks and corners.

I still wouldn’t swap winning the league in 17/18 but apart from a good run until about Xmas the following season the club showed a lack of ambition and failed to capitalise on the momentum at the time so some sort of decline was inevitable.

As for the people hoping for a January miracle they might want to check out Duffy’s transfer record at previous clubs which mainly consists of players he’s worked with before and domestic loans. Timmins can’t be trusted either since he thought Sam Ramsbottom was a decent GK.

1 hour ago, HMIP said:

We had 17 points from 16 games last season at the point Kerr was binned.   Can we beat that total this season?  At the moment we have 13 points from 14 games.  

Honestly not sure what a failure to do so would say about where we are at the moment.  Was Kerr hard done by?  Did we sack him at the wrong time?  Would he have got it right if the board had backed him?  Did the board just panic, and has that led us into an even deeper hole? 

Yes

Yes

29 minutes ago, rb123! said:

I'm honestly beginning to think it was a mistake sacking Kerr, instead we should have brought in an experienced 3rd coach for him and McCardle

We literally did, I canny mind his name but the guy got one matchday then Kerr and his full backroom team were sacked.  

1 hour ago, HMIP said:

Neil Watt is probably the only other Ayr manager I can think of who lost all credibility in such a short period of time, though you could make a case for Mark Shanks and Mark Roberts as well I suppose.

Neil Watt era was total bollocks, yes. Evidence that bringing in the best of the players from another team, 'Stranraer to Ayr', doesn't work, hence why the whole 'Morton team to Ayr' hasn't worked this year. Must have giggled when they offloaded McGinty.

Mark Shanks wasn't as bad as made out. Shanks had much less in the financial department and still stayed up, I think given the time, Mark Roberts would have seen us relegated.

1 hour ago, malkyshotton said:

The utterly rancid performances will have a massive impact in the hub generating any cash as has been pointed out on here the fan base has dropped dramatically because of covid and us being sh1t. New faces in January or we’re down.

Probably already been mentioned before, but going from Shankland, Crawford, Forrest, Rose, Harvie, Doohan, et al, to whatever the the hell that gang of jobbers was yesterday is gut wrenching. 

I think alot of the progress the club made under McCall has been un-done, fair enough the chairmen improving the infrastructure around the club, but then again that’s what he is good at, however some of his “football decisions” have been atrocious. 

Edited by Andy_AUFC

43 minutes ago, rb123! said:

John Hughes would have gone a long way to bridging that gap.....

I’m really hoping I’ll be proven wrong with my view that we should have been looking to appoint Hughes instead of going for the short term option in Duffy. 

ETA, do we have any idea of possible available players in January at RB, CM, wide players and strikers - other than Robbie Crawford!

Edited by No_Problemo

Kerr wasn't up to it, he had plenty of time to prove he was and he wasn't. Maybe with a footballing assistant he might have done better but he didn't pick one and went in a different direction. 

He took over a team in the top 4, with players regularly in the Scotland Under-21's and players ready to move upwards, he left after signing Andre Wright and winning one game in 10. 

I think folk are thinking back to the era fondly because it wasn't as bad as it was now. It was still bad and heading in the wrong direction.

Whyte and Stillie get up playing football again and got results that ultimately kept us out the play-off spot, Hopkin made us worse and Duffy has made us slightly less bad.  McCall will already be tapping players up for Thistle next season and we'll be 6 months behind them and sniffing about the loan market. Thats the difference between the managers and what we are missing. Someone that looks like they have a plan beyond the next round of fixtures. 

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

If anyone in charge of any level of the club thought that that was acceptable yesterday, then they should really consider their position.  It is like all the snide remarks about Hopkin "knowing what he is doing" when we chucked a lead and then lost to Dundee United. 

At any level of football, that was not a performance or level of effort that anyone should accept. To make snide comments, and I saw 2 or 3 from people at the club, saying fans love a moan after a defeat. 

In context, that was a 0-4 hounding at home, where for a period of 20 odd minutes of the second half we must have had 70% possession and zero shots on goal, most of it was our back 4 happily passing the ball to each other like we were 2-0 up and seeing out a game. 

The atmosphere dipped to a point it was like a pre-season friendly and you could hear players talking on the other side of the park, but nothing was done to lift it. from 2-0 down, no one in the ground thought we were going to come back in to the game. 

To use the ASDA analogy, if you were on a check-out and didn't scan two items of shopping and then decided that the whole transaction was lost and chucked everything in for free, You would get criticism.  

We have been poor for weeks and it has been glossed over by the games we have came back in. games that we maybe could have won if we had played the correct formation or line-up from the start. Tactical or player errors have probably cost us 10 points so far rather than the ability of the players but rescuing a point is seen almost as a win because under Hopkin, we would have just lost. 

Yesterdays game has removed some if not all of the good will towards Duffy and the mess he inherited (although he helped make some of it) and he needs to prove his worth now. Between now and Christmas we have Dunfermline, Albion Rovers, Morton, Hamilton and Queen of the south. 

After yesterday, I can see us getting 4 points out of that, dropping to the foot of the table and into the next round of the Scottish cup. 

If that is the case, Should Duffy be given a window plus a few games to fix it? I don't think so. We need at least 9 points from that run.

Thought we had blown it as our points advantage is dwindling and the transfer window a bit away yet. However i didn't realise it was back to a kind run of games that takes us close to January. Whilst yesterday would knock the confidence from most i still think we still have enough to scrape a few points. Noticed with  a few teams this season they seem to get a run of easy or tricky games and gather points quickly. Also the fans seem quick to build up or knock their chances without considering the fixture list. Lets hope this continues and we can get 7 points from the above run of teams

50 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Kerr wasn't up to it, he had plenty of time to prove he was and he wasn't. Maybe with a footballing assistant he might have done better but he didn't pick one and went in a different direction. 

He took over a team in the top 4, with players regularly in the Scotland Under-21's and players ready to move upwards, he left after signing Andre Wright and winning one game in 10. 

I think folk are thinking back to the era fondly because it wasn't as bad as it was now. It was still bad and heading in the wrong direction.

Whyte and Stillie get up playing football again and got results that ultimately kept us out the play-off spot, Hopkin made us worse and Duffy has made us slightly less bad.  McCall will already be tapping players up for Thistle next season and we'll be 6 months behind them and sniffing about the loan market. Thats the difference between the managers and what we are missing. Someone that looks like they have a plan beyond the next round of fixtures. 

The one thing Kerr didn’t get was time.  He was in charge for 5 months before Covid hit.  Then the world got turned upside down for 6 months and he got 5 months last season.  It’s pretty unfair to blame him for the loss of quality players - we were being picked clean before Kerr took over. I think even McCall was taken by surprise at how well we started his final season, and recognised there was a major rebuild coming the following summer when the likes of Forrest and Harvie left.  

The only defence I can offer for Kerr is that most of his signings looked good on paper, while Hopkins recruitment looked like a horror show from day one - I think the Morton fans still can’t believe we signed Salkeld and McGinty.

Stats can lie, but the simple fact is we finished 4th in Kerr’s first part season and were in 5th place 2 weeks before we sacked him, after being top 5 all season.  We pressed the big red panic button with no strategy or plan behind it, and I don’t think anyone is arguing we are in a better place for it.

Because of the state we're in now doesn't mean it was wrong to sack Kerr. FWIW I don't think Kerr would have turned it round, the response to him going was immediate with improved results (ie. winning at Morton). The crime here was replacing Kerr with Hopkin and allowing him to sigh a load of jobbers.

Ultimately, sacking Kerr was right but the cure (Hopkin) was worse than the disease (Kerr).

I do feel sympathy for Kerr, he was a good guy badly let down by his players.

The club should have supported him more by appointing an old head (earlier) of Kerr's choosing. If we go for a younger manager next time I hope we make sure they have an old head at their side.

Can't say I have much sympathy for Kerr. He should've never have been giving the job in the first place. He must had some ego if he honestly thought he could step into McCalls shoes with no problem. 

Edited by THEHonestman1910

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

We literally did, I canny mind his name but the guy got one matchday then Kerr and his full backroom team were sacked.  

Joe McLaughlin. If Kerr hadn't been sacked and put himself back in the team after that Arbroath game and left the management to McArdle and McLaughlin I think we'd have survived.

No doubt if Kerr had actually been a Smith appointment he'd have got more time but clearly he thought he could do better. Turns out it's harder than it looks.