The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

People keep saying the board has got no ambition

We don't even fecking know what the ambition Dave Smith has for the club on the field. We know more about his ambition off the field in terms of hub, redevelopment of North Terracing. Whether we're playing to a level the supporters deserve comes down to your viewpoint on whether the standard of level for the club should be based on what McCall did in this league pumping top teams 5-0, or the average success of the club from like 2005-2015 which was pottering about in the 3rd tier mostly.

11 minutes ago, rb123! said:

We don't even fecking know what the ambition Dave Smith has for the club on the field. 

Well, when he first came into the club, he said that he would've been disappointed if took us 10 years to get into the SPL, meaning that he was probably thinking around 7/8 years. That is his long term ambition for the football club. 

Well, when he first came into the club, he said that he would've been disappointed if took us 10 years to get into the SPL, meaning that he was probably thinking around 7/8 years. That is his long term ambition for the football club. 
And to use the term I hate when applied to football teams - that's a 'project'. And a project needs vision, as well as some stability. That's not Duffy. While he might be getting more out of a limited squad than Hopkin he's not the answer and at some point we're going to have to identify who is.

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

We don't even fecking know what the ambition Dave Smith has for the club on the field. We know more about his ambition off the field in terms of hub, redevelopment of North Terracing. Whether we're playing to a level the supporters deserve comes down to your viewpoint on whether the standard of level for the club should be based on what McCall did in this league pumping top teams 5-0, or the average success of the club from like 2005-2015 which was pottering about in the 3rd tier mostly.

I think he did articulate his ambition in the interview he did with Graham Spiers. He is very clear that he wants the club into the Premiership but only when the club has sustainable infrastructure (he didn't elaborate on exactly what that meant but I read it to be both finances and facilities) to stay up. He admitted we are not ready right now, which I presume is why he is OK with a "safe pair of hands" manager.

He is at least working on projects to improve the infrastructure and finances although I think fans would like to hear what is next after the Hub.

42 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

That'll be the Pars on the up and up now probably, leaving us QOS and Morton to slug it out for 8th place. Unless we play a blinder in January, which I can't really see.

If they hire Petrie, he may well be a slow burner. Moving from part time to full time. We just need to concentrate on winning games 

47 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

If Hopkin goes back to Morton, they’d be as well just chucking it.

he screwed them for two seasons, we’ll be lucky if he only screws us for one.

Any club who allows him to sign and set up a team expecting anything other than failure deserves everything they get.

Is this Hopkin back to Morton a thing, i thought it was someone on the wind up 

With Grant gone, we absolutely need to be picking up points. January is still 8 games / 24 points away, if we can pick up a couple of wins and draws I'm comfortable we'll be ahead of the chasing pack. The run to the window looks like; Inverness (H), Partick (H), Dunfermline (A), Morton (A), Hamilton (H), QotS (A), Raith (H), Partick (A). For reference the table is currently - Ayr 12, Hamilton 12, QotS 10, Morton 9, Dunfermline 7. 

Target wins at Morton / Hamilton and draws with Dunfermline and Raith. We never win at Palmerston and Inverness are a bogey team. Anything from the two Partick games feels like a massive bonus. 

In terms of who is available in January, would Paul Watson be within our range? 

John Robertson now being mentioned as a possible option for Dunfermline, I hadn’t even thought about him for us - would have been a very good option for us a few months ago. 

In terms of discussions about longer term planning, I am fully expecting this to happen: 

Our January transfer window to be uninspiring, we are then either going to get relegated or be very close to it. It’ll get to the end of the season and we will have offered no new contracts to our better players as we don’t know who our manager will be. As we f**k about attempting to appoint a manger the rest of the league has planned for the new season - we are then left scrambling about in the shite attempting to get a squad together. 

24 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

John Robertson now being mentioned as a possible option for Dunfermline, I hadn’t even thought about him for us - would have been a very good option for us a few months ago. 

In terms of discussions about longer term planning, I am fully expecting this to happen: 

Our January transfer window to be uninspiring, we are then either going to get relegated or be very close to it. It’ll get to the end of the season and we will have offered no new contracts to our better players as we don’t know who our manager will be. As we f**k about attempting to appoint a manger the rest of the league has planned for the new season - we are then left scrambling about in the shite attempting to get a squad together. 

Robertson was on the radio on Saturday and said he was currently not looking at getting back to management as he is very happy in his sporting  director role at  Inverness saying he was not missing the day to day part on the training field , but you never know !

2 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Robertson was on the radio on Saturday and said he was currently not looking at getting back to management as he is very happy in his sporting  director role at  Inverness saying he was not missing the day to day part on the training field , but you never know !

Yup, we’ll potentially find out in the coming days I guess!

I would always have ruled out Robertson from managing us purely because of geographical reasons. Dunfermline having a bit of money might have made it worth his time to relocate to get back into management but I doubt we could do anything to convince him.

It’s a great appointment if it happens and will probably mean Dunfermline will push up the table a bit. I’m not convinced they actually have the personnel in defence to completely turn it around but they have decent quality up front to at least stand a chance.

28 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

He said on Speirs podcast last week he was. Maybe he was reminded that he still had a job he was currently being paid to do. 

No idea. 
It shows how bad he was that it actually makes me angry that he could ruin another club I don't support. 

If any club ever decided to employ him after his latest stint of management then they deserve all they get.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

If any club ever decided to employ him after his latest stint of management then they deserve all they get.

Duffy set up the same way as him on Saturday and it was 2-0 Raith without them breaking a sweat. Hopkin would have persevered with it and we would have either somehow defended and not conceded another goal or conceded another 2-3. We certainly wouldn't have left our half. 

He had an  arrogant belief that he knew better than players, fans and anyone with eyes and a sense of reality that what he was doing is right. Then he moved to Ayr and did exactly the same thing.