The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

36 minutes ago, davidkennedyshand said:

I was listening to the game on the radio and Rory Loy was saying that the whole game. Mentioned in the first half that we were at least trying to pass the ball but in the second all we did was launch it to Adeloye.

He was also saying that it was unfortunate that Adeloye was having to constantly abandon his position to get the ball but there was nobody willing to run into the position he had came out of leaving us with no goal threat. 

Both commentators questioned why it took until after the penalty for us to show any attempt at getting forward in numbers as there wasn't much of a gap in quality. 

As many have mentioned Hopkin has absolutely done a number on us until January. Until that honking midfield is sorted we can hopefully scrape enough points from teams in our area of the league to keep us away from the bottom. However we won't be able to trouble any further up than mid table until players are brought in

Yup, we all know Kilmarnock are a better side than us but not to the extent we should be playing like we did in the second half. We sat in and waited to lose. 

Our central midfield last night was league one standard at best, Murdoch would have improved it though. January will allow us to test Duffy’s recruitment skills too! 

8 hours ago, killiemilan said:

However this team would have very liuttle chance of surviving in the Premiership.

This team would finish at least 10th in the Premiership - a bunch of the players are actually better suited to being on the back foot. We're clearly better than last year's utter junk, and they were only a couple of points off safety.

Edited by craigkillie

I don't know what was said at half time but we went from having a punchers chance of actually winning the game to sitting off and trying to hang on. Muirhead, Murdoch and Chalmers were on top in the first half and when we played through midfield we got them on the back foot. 

Blame Hopkin all you like but there were plenty of viable options on the bench to have got something from that game last night had Duffy been a bit braver, sooner. 

Nobody watching would've been the least surprised had it finished 0-0, it was that kind of night for both teams. 

One rash challenge has cost us a point. A horrendous decision from a player who along with Baird, was coping fine until then. 

And we played a team put together on an SPL sized budget, apparently. 

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This team would finish at least 10th in the Premiership - a bunch of the players are actually better suited to being on the back foot. We're clearly better than last year's utter junk, and they were only a couple of points off safety.

Deluded. 👍

How many of your starting eleven last night would be seen as top signings for an SPL team? And I mean a bottom half team at that. 

Collectively enough to warrant finishing above 2 other top division teams? Doubt it. 

Edited by BukyOHare

Just now, BukyOHare said:

Deluded. 👍

How many of your starting eleven last night would be seen as top signings for an SPL team? 

Collectively enough to warrant finishing above 2 other top division teams? Doubt it. 

None of them would be top signings for a Premiership club, but you don't need "top signings" to finish 10th. There's not a single member of the Ross County or Livingston squads who would be seen as "top signings" either. People have this misconception that you have to have loads of good players to stay in the Premiership, but the truth is that you just have to be well organised and grind out results. Look at some of the squads that Tommy Wright previously took to top six finishes at St Johnstone.

44 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Absolutely agree. There is no real gap between top of the second tier and the bottom two or three in the top flight. I've held the opinion for years that we should have a 16-team top league. An opinion formed in the late seventies and early eighties, for some reason..

42 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Deluded. 👍

How many of your starting eleven last night would be seen as top signings for an SPL team? And I mean a bottom half team at that. 

1. SPL?

2. WTF does an Ayr fan know about what qualities a player needs in the top flight? We've at least seen our side play for many years in that league, so we've got a wee bit of knowledge as to what is required to survive at that level. Or not - it wasn't much later than this last season when many of us started expressing concerns over our ability to stay up.

44 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

None of them would be top signings for a Premiership club, but you don't need "top signings" to finish 10th. There's not a single member of the Ross County or Livingston squads who would be seen as "top signings" either. People have this misconception that you have to have loads of good players to stay in the Premiership, but the truth is that you just have to be well organised and grind out results. Look at some of the squads that Tommy Wright previously took to top six finishes at St Johnstone.

Indeed - or the change when we got rid of Jig and brought in SSC. Even before Mulumbu came in and got rolling, it was like a different squad. Management absolutely can make a difference - possibly even more at this level - and TW has form for getting above-average results from average players. We're taking a bit longer to gel than I'd like, but we've still got Stokes and Burrell to come back into contention. It's not been a stellar start to the campaign, but we've put the Colins in their place twice, we're top of the division, and a couple of big players are still out.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Perhaps you're right but I'd be amazed if this seasons squad would keep you up next season without a number of additions. 

22 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

1. SPL?

2. WTF does an Ayr fan know about what qualities a player needs in the top flight? We've at least seen our side play for many years in that league, so we've got a wee bit of knowledge as to what is required to survive at that level. Or not - it wasn't much later than this last season when many of us started expressing concerns over our ability to stay up.

I think we've seen enough players play for us over the years to know what's required to play in the top league, along with the National team and South of the Border as well. 

Last nights team would need a few additions to stay up. Thats just my opinion. 

I thought we shaded the first half but Killie were all over us in the second and we barely got up the pitch at all. It was a pretty poor game in what were terrible conditions with driving rain and a strong wind throughout the majority of the match, that said, we offered virtually nothing in that second half and Adeloye was completely secluded from the rest of the team.

I've not seen it mentioned, however the wind certainly played a part with Killie using it to their advantage in the second half much better than we did in the first.

All that said, I still didn't think we looked overly compromised at the back apart from 3 or 4 whipped in / hopeful crosses, however the penalty was a stonewaller and was a bloody stupid challenge, so ultimately we got what we deserved !!

Personally I'm hoping that O'Connor returning will make a huge difference as he's the only one with real pace and trickery which can get us up the park and turn a game, he also brings Reading into matches and creates space for others and it's been really apparent recently just how much we've missed him.

As for Killie, they're a big strong team who look pretty solid, so there's no doubt that they'll be up in the top 2 or 3 come the end of the season and for us, it's just a case of keeping ahead of your Morton, Queens, Hamilton and Dunfermline until we can get some Midfield players in at the window....

2 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Perhaps you're right but I'd be amazed if this seasons squad would keep you up next season without a number of additions. 

I think we've seen enough players play for us over the years to know what's required to play in the top league, along with the National team and South of the Border as well. 

Last nights team would need a few additions to stay up. Thats just my opinion. 

TBF I said at the end of last season that Hearts squad wouldn't keep them up as they limped their way over the line. (yes they won it by miles but they were pretty unimpressive and barely won an away game in the latter half of the season). They were sitting top of the Premier last weekend!

They've made a few changes obviously, but clubs inevitably will on promotion. I think they had 5 new signings starting at Ibrox last week but the rest of the squad pretty much were playing in the Championship including the entire back line.

Strength of squad sets Killie apart from the rest of league. It might not be a popular opinion - esp for you lads understandably, but is a reality that we can sustain more injuries/suspensions and still put a good team on the park. How many other sides in the league would have McGinn, Robinson, Lyons, Hodson, Stokes & Burke either not starting or even in the squad and still field a strong 11? Over the course of a season that should see us win this league without too much drama. It’s also true to say we haven’t exactly lit it up in any game yet are sitting top 1/3rd of the way through.

The wind & rain ruined the game last night but as second half wore on seemed to take the steam right out of Utd. Maybe a difference in fitness or just defending for much of the second half emptied their tank. You do look way short of goals - probably due to not having much of a midfield threat. Why not play 2 up top and be more direct playing off Adeloye?

As always at Somerset it is difficult to know what are near misses and online blocks when they happen at the far end, I thought that while Ayr were getting down the flanks in the first half our keeper had one save, meanwhile it looked as if Shaw had two shots from inside the box that “seemed “ to be kicked off the line and Armstrong put in a couple of dangerous crosses that just eluded Hendry, having watched him he’s normally close to crosses.

The second half started with Ayr lumping very high balls towards the big centre, which possibly explains why Killie seemed so poor at the back, the wind was playing havoc with the ball and I remember thinking that one fortunate deflection and we are in bother. In fairness to Wright he made a couple of changes and we took total control, Ayr’s defence was really living a charmed life with the keeper (McAdams?)making a couple of very good stops and Polworths drive which scraped the bar. 

I expected Killie to get the breakthrough earlier but fair play to the young Ayr defenders that were throwing their bodies in front of crosses and shots, this may explain why Fjortoft threw himself into the challenge which gave away the penalty.

Killie were the better football side, trying to play in that wind and rain makes it difficult and could explain why Ayr fans believe they were every bit as good, but sorry that’s just not true.

Show that amount of commitment against other teams and they will be fine, having seen all the teams now I think that Queens, Morton and Ayr will be scrapping it out at the wrong end, but I think Ayr will do enough to stay up.

Killie? Still finding their feet but sitting top , I would say that is ominous for the others.