The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I’d bring McAllister back in for the Killie game and potentially Moffat?? Afolabi took his goal well but Adeloye is still our best bet up front I feel and I’d quite like it if Salkeld is nowhere near the team.

McAdams

McAllister
Baird
Fjortoft
Reading

Bradley
Murdoch
Muirhead
Maxwell

Moffat
Adeloye

26 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I love to see that connection between the players and fans. It's how it should be. Credit to Markus.

The thing is - and I'm maybe expecting too much here - but the likes of this morning could be worked so much better.  I was there for Ayr Boswell v Valspar age 2015's.  Probably about 40 kids aged 5 and 6 there.  On the other half of the park was a similar amount, slightly older but not sure the teams.   That's about 60 kids and mums and dad's etc all there, and Ayr are training 20 yards away.  Yet me, my dad and my son were the only ones who spotted it and walked up.  Can't help but feel that's a missed opportunity - my wee man was absolutely star struck by Fjortoft as I've said and he recognised Moffat and McAdams - someone from the club could have wandered down and invited 50 kids up to say hello.    Even 5 mins for a wee kick about or something (covid rules maybe forbid it, no idea).   

The rest of the players were literally walking past the remaining kids after it ended - zero interaction.  Such a wasted chance.  

Edited by Hursty

1 hour ago, Hursty said:

The thing is - and I'm maybe expecting too much here - but the likes of this morning could be worked so much better.  I was there for Ayr Boswell v Valspar age 2015's.  Probably about 40 kids aged 5 and 6 there.  On the other half of the park was a similar amount, slightly older but not sure the teams.   That's about 60 kids and mums and dad's etc all there, and Ayr are training 20 yards away.  Yet me, my dad and my son were the only ones who spotted it and walked up.  Can't help but feel that's a missed opportunity - my wee man was absolutely star struck by Fjortoft as I've said and he recognised Moffat and McAdams - someone from the club could have wandered down and invited 50 kids up to say hello.    Even 5 mins for a wee kick about or something (covid rules maybe forbid it, no idea).   

The rest of the players were literally walking past the remaining kids after it ended - zero interaction.  Such a wasted chance.  

Great post.

There is so much untapped potential out there. The club should be bombarding school-aged kids with AUFC propaganda - hats, scarves, tickets for games, anything just to get the word out there. We have to incentivise the youth to support the local team instead of the OF or English teams. Kids aren't going to gravitate to Somerset on their own, and not all mums and dads have the good sense to encourage their kids towards the local professional team. So it's up to the club to step in and make sure each generation is given every opportunity to make Ayr United "their team".

12 minutes ago, Young Eddie said:

Great post.

There is so much untapped potential out there. The club should be bombarding school-aged kids with AUFC propaganda - hats, scarves, tickets for games, anything just to get the word out there. We have to incentivise the youth to support the local team instead of the OF or English teams. Kids aren't going to gravitate to Somerset on their own, and not all mums and dads have the good sense to encourage their kids towards the local professional team. So it's up to the club to step in and make sure each generation is given every opportunity to make Ayr United "their team".

Absolutely.. ironically I only even noticed Ayr were training the park up from us was when one of the other dads who is a Killie fan made a joke about it.  

6 hours ago, Young Eddie said:

Great post.

Agree totally, been saying similar for years. Should have a greater exposure in the locallity as its the one chance both our teams have of changing any Weegie bias their parents may have. 

Personally I'd have the clubs sponsor the leagues, rotated visits (free) to a game then if you play for a boys club (or girls, oops) you can purchase a ticket for a quid. You could also get a chaperone ticket for a fiver to bring along a parent etc. Hope season ticket holders wouldnt get too upset as this could secure the future support and indeed grow it. 

1 hour ago, kilMARKnock said:

Agree totally, been saying similar for years. Should have a greater exposure in the locallity as its the one chance both our teams have of changing any Weegie bias their parents may have. 

Personally I'd have the clubs sponsor the leagues, rotated visits (free) to a game then if you play for a boys club (or girls, oops) you can purchase a ticket for a quid. You could also get a chaperone ticket for a fiver to bring along a parent etc. Hope season ticket holders wouldnt get too upset as this could secure the future support and indeed grow it. 

A very good post .the club has to do everything  in its power too get future generations interested. Can remember ayr reduced the gate too £5 and doubled our attendance nearly. Am sure season ticket holders won't mind this happening once a season. The clubs definitely improving off the pitch so hopefully more engagement with the local community. You literally have too slap it in people faces for folk too take notice .

8 hours ago, Young Eddie said:

Great post.

2 hours ago, kilMARKnock said:

As someone who works in EAC, Kilmarnock’s community engagement in terms of offering tickets to community groups etc is absolutely light years ahead of ours. 

24 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

As someone who works in EAC, Kilmarnock’s community engagement in terms of offering tickets to community groups etc is absolutely light years ahead of ours. 

At least we do engage i know, did have to move a full team of kids from our seats in the Moffat in Saturday. The reserved stickers and seat plan obviously fooled the club official with the clipboard who was seating the various teams around the stand to space them out. When that daft mascot came round at halftime the delight on their faces was amazing, all wanting a cuddle (yes i know before anyone says it 🙄) and a high five. Despite the utter dross on the park I did hear many when can we come again questions near the end. If we had givem them a voucher it would be maw/paw/uncle tom cobbly that would be getting the question. 

2 hours ago, 1nickydevlin said:

A very good post .the club has to do everything  in its power too get future generations interested. Can remember ayr reduced the gate too £5 and doubled our attendance nearly. Am sure season ticket holders won't mind this happening once a season. The clubs definitely improving off the pitch so hopefully more engagement with the local community. You literally have too slap it in people faces for folk too take notice .

Did we not try the "pay what you want" thing as well at one point? Seem to remember something along those lines mid-Cameron era. Think there was a bump in crowd as well at that game, but ultimately the next game was back to normal. With the hub, there is hopefully an opportunity to do something like a fan zone in the bar or the car park / beer garden before games.

Not entirely sure how it would work as I'm pretty sure the council would go nuts at anything remotely like tailgating. But, it would be an opportunity for players (even those who are out injured) to meet and greet within reason, get the panda out talking to the kids or running mini-games etc. We saw the reaction of the kids to Tomi when he came off against QotS so it is absolutely something that can be learned from and built upon. 

10 hours ago, Young Eddie said:

Great post.

Times are very different.

Look at Ayr now to the team on the run up to the cup final. The hype was massive. The Ayrshire post put questions in the paper every week, where kids (me included, I was 11) could find the guy dressed in the panda suit somewhere in Ayr to answer the question for tickets into Somerset.

The Ayrshire post did a great job in dishing out badges, flags and all sorts. Ayr were recognised as a good team, you could walk down Ayr high street and nearly every window had a 'Good Luck Ayr United' flag in it.

Nowadays, everything is relying heavily on social media. The majority of shops on Ayr high street are now closed. There's no fan interaction from the players like what it was back then. There's no School visits from the manager or players. Seems like there's a severe Apathy from the club nowadays.

Yes, Ayr went downhill, Mark Shanks, Neil Watt and so on, though we moved up slightly with Brian Reid and more so with Ian McCall. The position the club are in now, they should be doing everything to get the fan base back on board. 

Covid has taken its toll on this. Though we have a fancy new hub to look forward to. Things are on the up again, fingers crossed. Hopefully a result tomorrow will put a shine on things and bring back a few faces.

Edited by Roxanne's man

1 hour ago, Roxanne's man said:

Times are very different.

Look at Ayr now to the team on the run up to the cup final. The hype was massive. The Ayrshire post put questions in the paper every week, where kids (me included, I was 11) could find the guy dressed in the panda suit somewhere in Ayr to answer the question for tickets into Somerset.

The Ayrshire post did a great job in dishing out badges, flags and all sorts. Ayr were recognised as a good team, you could walk down Ayr high street and nearly every window had a 'Good Luck Ayr United' flag in it.

Nowadays, everything is relying heavily on social media. The majority of shops on Ayr high street are now closed. There's no fan interaction from the players like what it was back then. There's no School visits from the manager or players. Seems like there's a severe Apathy from the club nowadays.

Yes, Ayr went downhill, Mark Shanks, Neil Watt and so on, though we moved up slightly with Brian Reid and more so with Ian McCall. The position the club are in now, they should be doing everything to get the fan base back on board. 

Covid has taken its toll on this. Though we have a fancy new hub to look forward to. Things are on the up again, fingers crossed. Hopefully a result tomorrow will put a shine on things and bring back a few faces.

I think the new commercial manager should  have that somewhere in his remit , lots of good points being posted on here and hopefully the club try to pick up as many  as they can 

Edited by Finlay21

Massive opportunities available Every week on a  Saturday and Sunday mornings especially . there must be at least 500 kids and families at there games at KG5, Prestwick Academy, Caledonian park, Queen Margaret , Ayr Academy. Get the mascot and players  out taking turns at each venue, photo opportunities for kids and give out kids tickets free, I guarantee two things will happen, parents will buy a ticket to take them and yes great idea to make it a reduced price or the kids will be there and spend at least a fiver in the food shop ( I speak with experience of this my two grandkids)or maybe more at the new shop. Get e mail addresses and keep building it every game to them with special offers.

Incredulous that it's fans including Killie fans FFS that can come up with ideas, whilst our club in their bunker at Somerset Park come up wi nowt ,it's utterly appalling. The new commercial manager should be bursting with ideas and have direct lines to all the major dailies and local press and be feeding them stories true or not continually, that's what killie did under the Fleetings and which McLeod was a master at, provincial clubs have to bang their own drum the OF media won't come off their own back. We're slipping back in that respect after McCall and to move forward we must improve dramatically.