The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

Despite not being a particularly young squad we lack a bit of leadership that Moff provides. 

Er, the average age of the squad is currently just under 23 (and I haven't counted the players currently on loan).

49 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Yes , seasons are generic terracing tickets 

Thanks for confirming, the email suggested season tickets had to enter at the Somerset Road End turnstiles rather than the North Terrace turnstiles which seemed odd with a North Terracce season ticket.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

The fact is that we are probably a 7th placed team at best and the teams we are competing against are Hamilton, Morton, QOS and Dunfermline. If we can beat them at home and draw against them away then we should be fine. We aren’t capable of turning in great performances every week as we simply don’t have the players so I’m not entirely sure what you are expecting.

This is the harsh reality. Hopkin was allowed to assemble a large squad of haddies. We are a very limited team as a result. Whilst things may improve in January with some ins (a fucking central midfielder would be a start) and some going out. I really think 6th is the maximum that is achievable with this squad. More likely to be 7th/8th as Dunfermlime will inevitably improve.

1 hour ago, RedEd said:

Er, the average age of the squad is currently just under 23 (and I haven't counted the players currently on loan).

Er, yeah. Have you performed the same calculation for the other teams in this League? I would not expect our to to be particularly below the average. 

6 minutes ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

Er, yeah. Have you performed the same calculation for the other teams in this League? I would not expect our to to be particularly below the average. 

How is the squad not young if the average age is under 23? 

Of the players that tend to start - Maxwell, McAllister, Bradley are all very very young, while Salkeld, McAdams and Reading aren’t far behind them at 22. 

25 minutes ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

The below is shamelessly stolen from @Skyline Drifterin the First Quarter Thoughts threads. It is based on the first 11s from last weekend.

Intrigued by this I decided to waste my meal break at work today looking at the average ages of the teams to play in the division yesterday. We are the youngest on average. Ayr are 2nd youngest. At the other end of the scale Arbroath are comfortably the oldest side with Inverness 2nd oldest.

I checked a straight average and then re-measured having removed the oldest and youngest extreme in case that skewed anyone significantly. It didn't really change that much. By far the biggest difference is us as removing Wullie Gibson effectively drops our average by a whole year even with also removing Max Johnston (17). Doesn't change anybody's position although Raith and Killie would both join Partick on exactly 26 as joint 3rd oldest.

23.2 QoS (22.3 without extremes)
23.6 Ayr United (23.3)
23.9 Hamilton (24.0)
24.5 Morton (24.1)
25.5 Dunfermline (25.1)
26.1 Kilmarnock (26.0)
26.3 Raith Rovers (26.0)
26.5 Partick Thistle (26.0)
27.9 Inverness (27.9)
29.3 Arbroath (29.2)

Caveats - Based on first 11's yesterday so makes no allowance for older or younger players to play regularly who missed.

There is a positive in that we have a decent wee young core of players that could grow together over a couple of seasons in McAdams, Reading, McAllister, O’Connor - Hewitt could possibly be added to this while McKenzie has more to go to prove himself for me. If you can compliment them with the experience of Muirhead, Murdoch and keep Adeloye then we actually have a decent core there if we can actually supplement it well for a change. This needs to begin in January. 

3 hours ago, Trogdor said:

a fucking central midfielder would be a start

I've got to ask the Question 🤔 Where is Charlie Trafford!?

Not the solution to the problem, I know this. Though I think he'd fit the criteria for 'Team severely lacking midfield players' 👍

14 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Thanks for confirming, the email suggested season tickets had to enter at the Somerset Road End turnstiles rather than the North Terrace turnstiles which seemed odd with a North Terracce season ticket.

It was a typo from the ticket supplier who sent out the mail , another mail will be sent out tomorrow to everyone with the North terrace turnstile numbers added 

Are we planning to market this game on our social media in the build up?

If you missed the initial post about tickets you wouldn’t really know there was an Ayrshire derby game on Tuesday night. There is so much content that can be used of Ayrshire derbies at Somerset to really amp things up and get people excited and encourage more to attend - we don’t seem to be marketing the first Ayrshire league derby in decades line whatsoever. 

52 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Are we planning to market this game on our social media in the build up?

If you missed the initial post about tickets you wouldn’t really know there was an Ayrshire derby game on Tuesday night. There is so much content that can be used of Ayrshire derbies at Somerset to really amp things up and get people excited and encourage more to attend - we don’t seem to be marketing the first Ayrshire league derby in decades line whatsoever. 

Current promotion of the club is dire as is interaction with fans, very poor from current regime