The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 hours ago, RedEd said:

There has been at least one (sometimes two) midweek fixture cards in the Championship for a few years. We're one Saturday short for the league this season so there has to be one set of midweek fixtures. The league season has to finish on the last weekend of April to fit in the play-off schedule.

If the League Cup Second Round was played midweek then this wouldn't be a problem. If the Premier play-off, which is loaded against Championship sides, was arranged like the other two play-offs then league fixtures could be pushed back a week or two.

But yes, the fixture list hasn't done us any favours with this one. If the second derby at Somerset is moved for TV it'll mean none of the derbies this season will be played on a Saturday.

Would I be right in thinking that we're playing Thistle on the International week ?

If so, why are there fixtures for this one and none of the others ? or was that just to accommodate that daft cup ??

5 hours ago, RedEd said:

If the League Cup Second Round was played midweek then this wouldn't be a problem. If the Premier play-off, which is loaded against Championship sides, was arranged like the other two play-offs then league fixtures could be pushed back a week or two.

The League Cup 2nd round can't be played midweek because the teams still in Europe are playing in the midweeks at that time of year. The whole League Cup could be pushed back a bit I suppose but they don't really want it running into the bad weather months.

The Premiership playoffs can't be arranged like the other ones because there aren't enough dates in the calendar to get the Premiership finished in time for international windows in that case. Unless you have a smaller Premiership and play less games of course but that's whole different can of worms!

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Listening to Graham Spiers podcast with John Robertson. He says he wants to get back in to management at some point.

Assuming Dodds continues his form at Inverness, its not likely to be there. 

I guess that would be like McCall with Ayr. We knew he had a soft spot for Partick and as soon as the job was available, he left Ayr for them.

I think if John Robertson, who isn't a bad shout by any means at all, became Ayr Manager, he'd go back to Inverness at the first given opportunity.

13 hours ago, RedEd said:

There has been at least one (sometimes two) midweek fixture cards in the Championship for a few years. We're one Saturday short for the league this season so there has to be one set of midweek fixtures. The league season has to finish on the last weekend of April to fit in the play-off schedule.

But yes, the fixture list hasn't done us any favours with this one. If the second derby at Somerset is moved for TV it'll mean none of the derbies this season will be played on a Saturday.

Personally I want the New Year game moved to the 3rd. Transport on the 2nd which is a Sunday iirc is going to be hit and miss to say the least 

2 minutes ago, Rossco500 said:

Is the gate between sre and nt going to be open? 

Yes , but depending what ticket you bought you need to enter ground by the corresponding gates , North Terrace gates next to hospitality suite and SRE gates in the corner 

Edited by Finlay21

A decent point given how atrocious we were, but Duffy has some serious thinking to do before Tuesday night.  We can’t possibly start a 2 man centre midfield of Chalmers and Murdoch.  Aside from his goal against Accies, Bradley has been completely ineffective since joining so Moffat needs to get a run in the team.   One duff game against Partick hasn’t suddenly made him a bad player.

And when are we going to admit that Adeloye just isn’t that good?

A decent point given how atrocious we were, but Duffy has some serious thinking to do before Tuesday night.  We can’t possibly start a 2 man centre midfield of Chalmers and Murdoch.  Aside from his goal against Accies, Bradley has been completely ineffective since joining so Moffat needs to get a run in the team.   One duff game against Partick hasn’t suddenly made him a bad player.

He’s not as bad as some think nor is he as good as some think. He’s a pretty standard striker to have in this league in that he’ll have some good games and some terrible games but most of the time he’s always likely to score.

In this league I’d only say McKay, Graham and Rudden are better than him.

Edit to add: Your comments about Bradley are way off the mark as well.

17 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’s not as bad as some think nor is he as good as some think. He’s a pretty standard striker to have in this league in that he’ll have some good games and some terrible games but most of the time he’s always likely to score.

In this league I’d only say McKay, Graham and Rudden are better than him.

Edit to add: Your comments about Bradley are way off the mark as well.

If the midfield gets up high to support Adeloye then he can be very good, however if they don’t he is hopeless - awful in the air and he isn’t capable of that style of hold up play. I didn’t watch today, so no idea what the case was. 

25 minutes ago, HMIP said:

What utter pish 

3 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

What utter pish 

Face facts.  I think everyone was so relieved to see the back of Hopkin that we got a bounce after he got binned. We were probably a bit lucky as well as we immediately ran into Dunfermline and Hamilton who are probably the 2 worst teams I’ve seen this season.

But recent performances against Arbroath, Queens, Partick and Morton have been largely awful.  Credit where it’s due for the comeback against Queens, but it doesn’t cover up the previous 70 minutes when Queens should have been over the hill and gone long before that dumpling centre back of theirs threw us a lifeline from absolutely nowhere. 

If Adeloye is the player people say he is, how come we’re carrying absolutely no goal threat?  I really struggle to see what Bradley offers when played centrally.  Doesn’t hold the ball up, doesn’t link up with Adeloye, doesn’t get beyond Adeloye.  Maybe Arbroath were tiring towards the end, but Afolabi and Moffat were a step improvement when they came on.  

After watching Killie today you will get plenty of opportunities to get into our box on Tuesday. 
we have definitely hit the buffers and confidence is low throughout the team. I’m hoping to see Stokes, Robinson and Durnell in our starting eleven. 
still, above Raith again and made up two points on Inverness. 

Face facts.  I think everyone was so relieved to see the back of Hopkin that we got a bounce after he got binned. We were probably a bit lucky as well as we immediately ran into Dunfermline and Hamilton who are probably the 2 worst teams I’ve seen this season.
 But recent performances against Arbroath, Queens, Partick and Morton have been largely awful.  Credit where it’s due for the comeback against Queens, but it doesn’t cover up the previous 70 minutes when Queens should have been over the hill and gone long before that dumpling centre back of theirs threw us a lifeline from absolutely nowhere. 
If Adeloye is the player people say he is, how come we’re carrying absolutely no goal threat?  I really struggle to see what Bradley offers when played centrally.  Doesn’t hold the ball up, doesn’t link up with Adeloye, doesn’t get beyond Adeloye.  Maybe Arbroath were tiring towards the end, but Afolabi and Moffat were a step improvement when they came on.  

Performances might not be great but that’s largely down to the fact we don’t have a great team. The Partick game aside, Duffy has set us up in every game with a plan in mind and a way to get the best out of our players. It didn’t work today against a pretty solid and experienced Arbroath side but a draw up there is still a decent result.

As has been said everywhere else, so there’s no reason for being so confused by it, the reason we lack a goal threat is due to the serious lack of good attacking options in the squad. We started today with a full back and Cammy Salkeld as our wingers. Besides O’Connor, Bradley and Adeloye we really don’t have anything going forward. Adeloye is an out and out striker so you need to get players around him that can give him the service he needs. Steven Bradley HAS shown he is a good player and I think he’s got potential but he’s only 20 or something so can’t be relied upon to be good every week. You say he doesn’t get in behind or link up well with Adeloye but I can think of plenty of examples of him doing just that in the games he’s played.

The fact is that we are probably a 7th placed team at best and the teams we are competing against are Hamilton, Morton, QOS and Dunfermline. If we can beat them at home and draw against them away then we should be fine. We aren’t capable of turning in great performances every week as we simply don’t have the players so I’m not entirely sure what you are expecting.

Moffat won't last more than 70 mins now, and I would rather have him on when the opposition have had the edge taken off their legs - that's why he seems much more effective. Starting the Moff would be less effective. If we are ahead or drawing when he has to  comes off we have less on the park to control the game and see it out for the last 20 mins.

Coming on as a sub with a good 20 to 30 mins is perfect for him. If he gets you ahead (or drawing from behind) he also has the intelligence, ball control and experience to manage the game. Despite not being a particularly young squad we lack a bit of leadership that Moff provides.