The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

21 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Get a fucking grip man.

Of course we don’t need to change those phrases and you know fine well we don’t. Shouting at someone to die in their sleep is more than unsavoury as well so stop trying to justify it.

18 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Exactly and as part of that Saturday afternoon I'd rather no spend it listening to the kinds of shite from idiots we've all been talking about.

Football has been treated as a "safe place" where everything is cool for far too long. Really need to get this "world has gone mad" kind of stuff in the fucking sea. You wouldn't get away with this kind of behaviour anywhere else, why in a football ground.

I'm all for making the world a better place but feel a bit of perspective is needed, too many tossers hide behind "mental health" as a way of behaving like dicks and then when they get pushback they play the "abuse" card. In fact there's a so called "celebrity" featured almost every single day on the BBC news.

Sorry, I just don't buy it.

I should add that I wasn't singing that song and agree that it's out of order, however some of these people bring stuff like that on themselves and as such should face the consequences rather than give it out but then play the sympathy card when it gets given back.

It's funny that the good guys rarely seem to get the abuse but only a certain type ?

Oh for the days of a Davie Cooper or an Andy Rhodes who loved a bit of banter and interaction with the fans and gained lots of respect for it as well.

Yip, changed days indeed.......

6 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

"fucking p***k"  "w****r"  "fucking shite".

I'd rather shout these at a football game at Somerset. Though quite mild when Wullie Gibson is involved. Still wouldn't go to the extremes of wishing him death.

It's a game of football.

2 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

I'd rather shout these at a football game at Somerset. Though quite mild when Wullie Gibson is involved. Still wouldn't go to the extremes of wishing him death.

It's a game of football.

Yes, can't disagree with that.

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

some of these people bring stuff like that on themselves and as such should face the consequences rather than give it out but then play the sympathy card when it gets given back.

It's funny that the good guys rarely seem to get the abuse but only a certain type ?

Oh for the days of a Davie Cooper or an Andy Rhodes who loved a bit of banter and interaction with the fans and gained lots of respect for it as well.

As I said in an earlier post, Gibson is an absolute walloper who seems to bring the worst out of people.

One of your lot who I always had great respect for, but who's name escapes me, was the goalie in the 70s who frequently swung from the crossbar, a great character who we loved to abuse and he genuinely appeared to enjoy the banter, frequently giving it back in spades.

That said, the 'abuse' was always good natured, even if some of the chants were comparing him to a monkey for swinging on the bar. Changed days indeed as that crazily would now be seen as racist.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

As I said in an earlier post, Gibson is an absolute walloper who seems to bring the worst out of people.

One of your lot who I always had great respect for, but who's name escapes me, was the goalie in the 70s who frequently swung from the crossbar, a great character who we loved to abuse and he genuinely appeared to enjoy the banter, frequently giving it back in spades.

That said, the 'abuse' was always good natured, even if some of the chants were comparing him to a monkey for swinging on the bar. Changed days indeed as that crazily would now be seen as racist.

Hugh Sproat and totally agree with you.

27 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'm all for making the world a better place but feel a bit of perspective is needed, too many tossers hide behind "mental health" as a way of behaving like dicks and then when they get pushback they play the "abuse" card. In fact there's a so called "celebrity" featured almost every single day on the BBC news.

Sorry, I just don't buy it.

I should add that I wasn't singing that song and agree that it's out of order, however some of these people bring stuff like that on themselves and as such should face the consequences rather than give it out but then play the sympathy card when it gets given back.

Alan Trouten and Stephen Dobbie have had the same chant aimed at them by the same group of reprobates in the past, despite doing absolutely sod all to antagonise anyone in the crowd beforehand. Be interesting to see how you can turn those cases into a victim blaming exercise as you’re doing with Gibson.

Edited by eez-eh

14 hours ago, Hursty said:

Generally yeah, you and @Trogdor are right in that it can be OK.  

I've got a memory in my head that it was being sung while someone was going off on a stretcher quite clearly in pain though.    Suppose that's one that depends on the context. 

Edit - the Goodwin example in the 3-3 game is perfect.   That would have been OK as its clearly ironic if that makes sense as he was at it and wasn't even hiding the fact. 

There were Ayr fans singing “dig a hole” up at Dunfermline 2/3 years back when Fordyce got injured, and that was despite the obvious concern of other players and the fact you could see his leg was broken from 50 yards away.  I personally don’t believe Ayr fans are any better or worse than other fans, but you can only feel sorry for grown men who can’t tell the difference between banter, foul language and flat out abuse.  Outside a football ground, most folk do know the difference, so the “safe space” theory is probably pretty sound.  

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, I've got my higher, however I've only ever heard this little "ditty" chanted / sung in English grounds and just seems rather childlike.

I wonder if we 'll now need to change "get tae fcuk" to "please go away" and "we fcukin hate killie" to "we don't really like Killie" due to "hate" being a very strong word ??

As I've said, I don't condone any sort of racist or bigoted chanting / comments and singing "i hope you die in your sleep" may be a tad unsavoury, however it's not a crime and frankly could be seen as a compliment as personally I'd far rather die in my sleep than most other ways of going and I'm sure most of us are the same !!!

You've definitely heard it at Somerset, it's the "Dumfries up to Dingwall" chant...

As for the rest, yeesh.  

The same morons who'd be the ones singing about Gibson, Dobbie etc in recent seasons, are the same ones who sing the derogatory chant about woman at every game. Why is this not frowned upon? Of course things like racism, wishing death on someone, shouting homophobic abuse are all wrong, but I feel misogyny/sexism should be highlighted too

54 minutes ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

Now you mention it, he always wore a green top against us. Cant understand why...............🥱....🙂

He'd wear a green top v Rangers and a blue top v Celtic. Way ahead of his time for banter. Remember my Dad telling me he was quite the character. Something sadly lacking from the game these days 

3 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Alan Trouten and Stephen Dobbie have had the same chant aimed at them by the same group of reprobates in the past, despite doing absolutely sod all to antagonise anyone in the crowd beforehand. Be interesting to see how you can turn those cases into a victim blaming exercise as you’re doing with Gibson.

The group of reprobates in question here is a group of wee guys about 16 years old that quite clearly aren't mature enough to understand why it's out of order