The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I get where you're coming from but for the majority I'd reckon these things all come pretty far down the list when deciding whether or not to attend the football on a Saturday (despite the many myths).

I know from myself and others that some of our most memorable matches are at the old Broomfield, Brockville, the old Douglas Park, the old Rugby park, Cappielow and of course Somerset (which we all know hasn't changed much over the years). Similarly, some of my most forgettable matches have been at Almondvale (or whatever it's called this week) and Broadwood.

I'd also go as far as to say that one of the worst and lowest quality matches I've ever attended was Skonto Riga v Jurmala in the Latvian national stadium in Riga (which was great), however it's the football which makes it for me and not the facilities as that's not why we're there.

It's a bit like the Golf, most of us remember an outing or a course because of the pace of the greens, how well manicured the fairways and tees are etc as opposed to the meal we got in the clubhouse or the decor etc and I just feel the football is much the same.

Don't get me wrong, if we could combine quality of play, nice surrounds and a good atmosphere then that would be a real winner (like many German grounds), however the actual football and the interaction with my friends remains the number one priorities for me and way ahead of seating, toilet facilities or the pie shop but that's just me maybe ??

Of course you're right, there's different things that take us to the game and the prime factor is what we watch on the pitch and the strength and sense of our local connection to our teams (especially for us fans of non-OF teams; as we know the OF fans tend to go for other reasons).

From what you say, I'm guessing that we're perhaps of a similar vintage - I also remember going to the old Broomfield, the old Douglas Park, the old Rugby Park, the old East End Park etc watching Queens and the memories of the great atmospheres particularly for cup ties which used to attract decent if not big attendances - including over 8,000 at Somerset in the 70s for Ayr v QOS which had a cracking atmosphere.  But these days I'm faced with the aches and pains of my approaching senior years, appreciate the presence of a functional toilet and frankly my joints would struggle to stand for two hours on a terrace the way I used to.  So for me, in an ideal world (ie one where the clubs had the necessary financial wherewithal) it would be sensible to have suitably sized (ie not big) stadia that were fully covered (cos this is Scotland after all and we elect to play the game in the pissing wet cold months cos we're all masochists), provided a mix of seats (better for families and the senior/less able) and terrace (for the younger and fitter).  Its like everything in life - there never is a "one size fits all" answer for everything, the better solutions cover a range of options.

The key point though I think is (and most on here seem to agree) that clubs like ours just don't need daft sized stadia of 8-10,000 size or more - a capacity of 5,000 does the job and can generate a good atmosphere and matchday experience.

Edited by Otis Blue

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Just had a look at your attendances this season after reading this. Was about to take my hat off to your support if 2/3000 crowds will still attending despite your start to the season. As expected you haven't got anywhere close to those figures.

An 8000 capacity stadium would be a ridiculous build IMO. You'd be willing to go to a quarter full lego brick stadium most weeks just to accommodate a handful of bigger clubs? f**k that.

We've only played about 3 or 4 home games this season, however over the previous couple of seasons our gates (not own support) were averaging over 2,300.

I agree that as things stand a 4,000 to 5,000 stadium would be ample but if we're to have any ambition at all and seriously hope to be in the Premier in a few years, then anything under 8,000 would be a mistake in my opinion and would obviously restrict our potential revenue.

I'm not talking of a white elephant 20,000 here like our Ayrshire neighbours but a realistic capacity which we could certainly hope to hit 60% to 70% most weeks if playing in the top league and of course easily fill when playing Klilmarnock, Rangers, Celtic, Hearts and Hibs plus be pretty close against the likes of St Mirren and Aberdeen.

As I say, this is all with the caveat of having the ambition to become an established top tier side as opposed to a struggling Championship outfit where we find ourselves just now.

Still, it's good to dream......

14 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Of course you're right, there's different things that take us to the game and the prime factor is what we watch on the pitch and the strength and sense of our local connection to our teams (especially for us fans of non-OF teams; as we know the OF fans tend to go for other reasons).

From what you say, I'm guessing that we're perhaps of a similar vintage - I also remember going to the old Broomfield, the old Douglas Park, the old Rugby Park, the old East End Park etc watching Queens and the memories of the great atmospheres particularly for cup ties which used to attract decent if not big attendances - including over 8,000 at Somerset in the 70s for Ayr v QOS which had a cracking atmosphere.  But these days I'm faced with the aches and pains of my approaching senior years, appreciate the presence of a functional toilet and frankly my joints would struggle to stand for two hours on a terrace the way I used to.  So for me, in an ideal world (ie one where the clubs had the necessary financial wherewithal) it would be sensible to have suitably sized (ie not big) stadia that were fully covered (cos this is Scotland after all and we elect to play the game in the pissing wet cold months cos we're all masochists), provided a mix of seats (better for families and the senior/less able) and terrace (for the younger and fitter).  Its like everything in life - there never is a "one size fits all" answer for everything, the better solutions cover a range of options.

The key point though I think is (and most on here seem to agree) that clubs like ours just don't need daft sized stadia of 8-10,000 size or more - a capacity of 5,000 does the job and can generate a good atmosphere and matchday experience.

Yes, as said in another post just preceding this, I totally agree that Ayr United as we stand currently and the Ayr United that I've watched over the majority of the past 40 years, then there's no doubt that a 5,000 capacity stadium would have been sufficient about 90% of that time, but if we have the ambition to try and break in to the top flight and compete there, then I do think we should be aiming for around 8,000 but again you might be right and I'm not going to fall out with anyone over a couple of thousand capacity of a football stadium not yet built and most probably never built !!

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I get where you're coming from but for the majority I'd reckon these things all come pretty far down the list when deciding whether or not to attend the football on a Saturday (despite the many myths).

I know from myself and others that some of our most memorable matches are at the old Broomfield, Brockville, the old Douglas Park, the old Rugby park, Cappielow and of course Somerset (which we all know hasn't changed much over the years). Similarly, some of my most forgettable matches have been at Almondvale (or whatever it's called this week) and Broadwood.

I'd also go as far as to say that one of the worst and lowest quality matches I've ever attended was Skonto Riga v Jurmala in the Latvian national stadium in Riga (which was great), however it's the football which makes it for me and not the facilities as that's not why we're there.

It's a bit like the Golf, most of us remember an outing or a course because of the pace of the greens, how well manicured the fairways and tees are etc as opposed to the meal we got in the clubhouse or the decor etc and I just feel the football is much the same.

Don't get me wrong, if we could combine quality of play, nice surrounds and a good atmosphere then that would be a real winner (like many German grounds), however the actual football and the interaction with my friends remains the number one priorities for me and way ahead of seating, toilet facilities or the pie shop but that's just me maybe ??

Currently in the ground , it’s another soulless place , hard to get a noisy atmosphere 

15 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Currently in the ground , it’s another soulless place , hard to get a noisy atmosphere 

Yes, the best atmospheres always tend to be when it's raining and everyone is crammed in to the Somerset road end, of course it's also up to the team to help create the "oohs" and "aahs" with a bit of attacking flair / shots on goal etc which were all sadly lacking under Mr Hopkin.......

We've only played about 3 or 4 home games this season, however over the previous couple of seasons our gates (not own support) were averaging over 2,300.
I agree that as things stand a 4,000 to 5,000 stadium would be ample but if we're to have any ambition at all and seriously hope to be in the Premier in a few years, then anything under 8,000 would be a mistake in my opinion and would obviously restrict our potential revenue.
I'm not talking of a white elephant 20,000 here like our Ayrshire neighbours but a realistic capacity which we could certainly hope to hit 60% to 70% most weeks if playing in the top league and of course easily fill when playing Klilmarnock, Rangers, Celtic, Hearts and Hibs plus be pretty close against the likes of St Mirren and Aberdeen.
As I say, this is all with the caveat of having the ambition to become an established top tier side as opposed to a struggling Championship outfit where we find ourselves just now.
Still, it's good to dream......

You've played some of the sides you mention at home already and haven't come close to filling your capacity. Not even close to 5000, never mind 8000. Rangers was close to a sell out but even the Killie game was 6000 odd. The other ones only broke the 3000 mark once.

I expect your attendances would go up initially, much like the 2 recent successful seasons you had in this division. But I think the reality would eventually be closer to this season if you were fighting for your life down the bottom. Locals would become disinterested and not bother. You'd still get close to a full house against the ugly sisters but out with Kilmarnock I doubt you'd get anywhere close to 8000 let alone more.

St Mirren are in a more central location than Ayr and have an 8000 seater. The only time they've got close to a sell out* is against the OF.

It's not a go at Ayr's attendances, I just think the reality is that even if you did go up, unless you were challenging for 3rd spot you'd spend most home matches in a soulless lego stadium with a less than half filled capacity. Much better to have a smaller capacity and have it close to/packed every second week.

* I imagine it was technically a sell out but I'm just going by the figures recorded.

ETA - Don't think I've used the word "close" so much in one speel in my entire life.

24 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

..... then there's no doubt that a 5,000 capacity stadium would have been sufficient about 90% of that time, but if we have the ambition to try and break in to the top flight and compete there, then I do think we should be aiming for around 8,000 ......

Yep, I get that argument too.  Trouble is, the way the SPL is constructed now I think it will be very difficult for clubs the size of Ayr (and QOS) to reach that dizzy height and stay there for any length unless there is a move to a larger top league and that just ain't gonna happen due to the voting structure which is designed to keep us out.  I know folk will mention Ross County, Livi and Hamilton here as exceptions to my argument and I get that.  Of course Ross County as we know are funded by a wealthy owner and the club is his plaything, so they're an oddball that will eventually reach their expiry date when the owner disappears.  I could never quite figure out how Hamilton did it with their attendances (less than QOS) and Livi also - but its clear these clubs are at best "yo-yos" between the leagues and will struggle to find stability in the top league.

As you say, because of the big local derbies with Killie, Ayr may be in a potentially better position than other such clubs.

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

You've played some of the sides you mention at home already and haven't come close to filling your capacity. Not even close to 5000, never mind 8000. Rangers was close to a sell out but even the Killie game was 6000 odd. The other ones only broke the 3000 mark once.

I expect your attendances would go up initially, much like the 2 recent successful seasons you had in this division. But I think the reality would eventually be closer to this season if you were fighting for your life down the bottom. Locals would become disinterested and not bother. You'd still get close to a full house against the ugly sisters but out with Kilmarnock I doubt you'd get anywhere close to 8000 let alone more.

St Mirren are in a more central location than Ayr and have an 8000 seater. The only time they've got close to a sell out* is against the OF.

It's not a go at Ayr's attendances, I just think the reality is that even if you did go up, unless you were challenging for 3rd spot you'd spend most home matches in a soulless lego stadium with a less than half filled capacity. Much better to have a smaller capacity and have it close to/packed every second week.

* I imagine it was technically a sell out but I'm just going by the figures recorded.

ETA - Don't think I've used the word "close" so much in one speel in my entire life.

5 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Yep, I get that argument too.  Trouble is, the way the SPL is constructed now I think it will be very difficult for clubs the size of Ayr (and QOS) to reach that dizzy height and stay there for any length unless there is a move to a larger top league and that just ain't gonna happen due to the voting structure which is designed to keep us out.  I know folk will mention Ross County, Livi and Hamilton here as exceptions to my argument and I get that.  Of course Ross County as we know are funded by a wealthy owner and the club is his plaything, so they're an oddball that will eventually reach their expiry date when the owner disappears.  I could never quite figure out how Hamilton did it with their attendances (less than QOS) and Livi also - but its clear these clubs are at best "yo-yos" between the leagues and will struggle to find stability in the top league.

As you say, because of the big local derbies with Killie, Ayr may be in a potentially better position than other such clubs.

Cards on the table, I'm hoping that with the Racecourse link we come on the radar of some rich Arabs who see Ayr as the new PSG / Man City / Newcastle and swoop in to buy David Smith out in a multi million pound deal which then sees a £200 million initial investment on the playing side (just to ensure we get out of the Championship) before the REAL cash injection which will see us bring back Sir Lawrence to play alongside the newly acquired Paulo Dybala and now ageing, but still lethal, Robert Lewandowski.

We may have to aim for a 10,000 capacity arena at this stage (built on the cheap using the same migrant slave labour used by Qatar) as there's every chance we could maybe end up with a few of our religiously challenged friends forsaking their Glasgow cult for their local team ?? (on second thoughts let's just keep it at 5,000).

Actually, the more I'm thinking about this the more I'm thinking we should just be happy with what we've got and look forward to our good honest battle with the Queens on Saturday.......

I'm with you bro ...... I keep telling my son that the start of Queens road to their ultimate destiny of decades of Champions League domination is merely the next season away ...... but the medication is certainly helping now ... 👍

Update on Kilmarnock tickets coming today hopefully , I am led to believe it will go straight to a public sale now , with them  possibly going on sale as early as tomorrow if everything goes to plan ( still awaiting an  official announcement) keep your eyes on social media 

19 hours ago, Iain said:

Was at the Tottenham stadium on Sunday. We should build one like that. 

Sorry to deflect the thread here, but curious to know what you thought of Spurs new stadium.

I've only been to the old White Hart Lane, and that was a few years back now.

7 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Could well be. Has the look of the Stadion An der Alten Försterei.

That's what I thought, a group of us were over there a good few years back and actually stayed in Koepinick at the Marriott courtyard for a few nights which hadn't long opened, got to say it was one of my best short breaks ever and we had a great time drinking and mixing with the locals. They couldn't have been friendlier and were very puzzled / intrigued as to why we would stay there (and even drink there) as opposed to Berlin.

In fact, in a bizarre night out we were actually invited to a private party which involved an appearance by a famous German (eeh hmm actress) by the name of Maria Mia, however that's another story.......

14 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

That's what I thought, a group of us were over there a good few years back and actually stayed in Koepinick at the Marriott courtyard for a few nights which hadn't long opened, got to say it was one of my best short breaks ever and we had a great time drinking and mixing with the locals. They couldn't have been friendlier and were very puzzled / intrigued as to why we would stay there (and even drink there) as opposed to Berlin.

In fact, in a bizarre night out we were actually invited to a private party which involved an appearance by a famous German (eeh hmm actress) by the name of Maria Mia, however that's another story.......

Sounds a decent trip to be fair. 👌

Update on Kilmarnock tickets coming today hopefully , I am led to believe it will go straight to a public sale now , with them  possibly going on sale as early as tomorrow if everything goes to plan ( still awaiting an  official announcement) keep your eyes on social media 

3000 tickets for us.