The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

21 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I've found Albinsons distribution to be pretty poor, not to mention that he ponders over the ball and takes so bloody long that some of our players are exasperated and are no longer making runs as they know that they won't receive the ball.

Very true but least he can kick it over the halfway line. When mcadams came in After that game when albinson was dropped after he and mcginty had that miss communication, mcadams’ kicking was apsolutely hopeless 

1 hour ago, Rossco500 said:

Very true but least he can kick it over the halfway line. When mcadams came in After that game when albinson was dropped after he and mcginty had that miss communication, mcadams’ kicking was apsolutely hopeless 

Because he had an injury 

19 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You can't have a loan either. That window closed last Thursday. Other than 7 day loans for goalkeepers provided you have a medical certificate of injury or illness.

Free agents only now till Jan 1st.

You're just missing the, "na,na,na,na,na"

18 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Having seen Dunfermline, I would say they are a decent team just not performing the right way, There have been no daft philosophy's put in place, it just hasn't clicked for them. Maybe Grant isn't going to make them click but I don't think they are a million miles away.

Under Hopkin, we were never going to click, There were weird philosophies in place and a stubborn approach to tactics. we were a million miles away from being decent. 

Hopkin has a decent amount of time last season and this season to get things right, but continued to make a rip-roaring arse of it with no let-up. From an outsiders point of view, Grant only took over in the summer and has probably only had a dozen games so far to get things right so you can see why the board are giving him time. 

You always listen to the fans though, Plenty of folk thought Ayr fans were ungrateful when we hounded Daziel out the club. 5 games were enough to know Hopkin was a dope. 

I wonder though, if we weren't post McCall, where expectations were higher, if Hopkin would have had more time. If fans would have just drifted away, accepting us being crap rather than the reaction he got at the Raith game.  

I'd say Kerr was probably a more similar situation to Grant in as much as we could see what he was trying to do but just that it wasn't working. 

As for Hopkin, it was more his tactical ethos as opposed to the bare results which saw him infuriate the fans. 

Many of us have grown up with the swashbuckling wing play of a Henry Templeton or the footballing magic of an Alain Horace or the excitement of watching a Gary Teale or Glynn Hurst, then of course under Stewart we had the fantastic quick passing game with Forrest, Moff, Shankland, Doc, Kelly etc and even guys like Paul Kinnaird, Andy Lyons, Tommy Bryce, Jim Cowell, Mickey Reynolds, Declan McDaid and countless others over the years could all get you off your seat (figuratively speaking) with a moment of brilliance.

Under Hopkin we just didn't have that and as an Ayr supporter that's just unacceptable, hence the reason many of us are praying that O'Connor is back sooner rather than later as there's no doubt that the boy has that WOW factor that make us all turn up full of hope on a Saturday, irrespective of our form or our opponents, as that's what going to the football is all about....

4 hours ago, Rossco500 said:

Do you remember Doohan's kicking?

The majority went out for an opposition shy. He was better throwing the ball out.

Admittedly, once in a while you got a phenomenal long one from Doohan like Shanklands goal up at Dundee in the Cup or a poor short one straight to the opposition like Dundee United at home.

I really dont care how well a goalie can kick. I want him to be playing it short or throwing it out. Occasionally a quick long ball is useful for a breakaway but they rarely come to anything. 

31 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'd say Kerr was probably a more similar situation to Grant in as much as we could see what he was trying to do but just that it wasn't working. 

As for Hopkin, it was more his tactical ethos as opposed to the bare results which saw him infuriate the fans. 

Many of us have grown up with the swashbuckling wing play of a Henry Templeton or the footballing magic of an Alain Horace or the excitement of watching a Gary Teale or Glynn Hurst, then of course under Stewart we had the fantastic quick passing game with Forrest, Moff, Shankland, Doc, Kelly etc and even guys like Paul Kinnaird, Andy Lyons, Tommy Bryce, Jim Cowell, Mickey Reynolds, Declan McDaid and countless others over the years could all get you off your seat (figuratively speaking) with a moment of brilliance.

Under Hopkin we just didn't have that and as an Ayr supporter that's just unacceptable, hence the reason many of us are praying that O'Connor is back sooner rather than later as there's no doubt that the boy has that WOW factor that make us all turn up full of hope on a Saturday, irrespective of our form or our opponents, as that's what going to the football is all about....

Hopkin was trying something particular that wasn’t working and hadn’t worked previously. To make it worse, he signed the same players that failed with him the last time. If he’d got results then many fans would have bought in to what he was trying to do. In his time as manager, we won single digit points and nearly that in shots on target.

I didn’t think any manager with previous experience could have made us worse that what we were under Kerr, but Hopkin managed it. 

To describe a championship league game as a “free hit” to set up as negative, concede 60-70% possession every game and keep doing it for 20 games proved beyond doubt he should have been sacked. 

When a manager comes in and makes a big show of stamping their own mark on the club, in Ayrs case, players should be vegan, all the subs should go in at half time or like Caldwell, switching dugouts, having a player kidnapped………or other teams making players travel in suits, or drive 40 miles in the wrong direction on match days because they have to travel up on a team bus, it never works out well. 

some teams work because of the atmosphere in the dressing room, so when a manager comes in, announcing the fact he’s a massive arse and he’s going to make players miserable because of some daft philosophy, it usually results in relegation. 

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Do you remember Doohan's kicking?

The majority went out for an opposition shy. He was better throwing the ball out.

Admittedly, once in a while you got a phenomenal long one from Doohan like Shanklands goal up at Dundee in the Cup or a poor short one straight to the opposition like Dundee United at home.

I really dont care how well a goalie can kick. I want him to be playing it short or throwing it out. Occasionally a quick long ball is useful for a breakaway but they rarely come to anything. 

I felt that Doohan’s distribution got noticeably worse over time. When he first came in I was impressed by how proactive he was at starting counter attacks; by the end it seemed that any time there was the slightest bit of pressure he would launch the ball out for a throw-in in our own half.

On 06/10/2021 at 13:33, diegomarahenry said:

Hopkin was trying something particular that wasn’t working and hadn’t worked previously. To make it worse, he signed the same players that failed with him the last time. If he’d got results then many fans would have bought in to what he was trying to do. In his time as manager, we won single digit points and nearly that in shots on target.

I didn’t think any manager with previous experience could have made us worse that what we were under Kerr, but Hopkin managed it. 

To describe a championship league game as a “free hit” to set up as negative, concede 60-70% possession every game and keep doing it for 20 games proved beyond doubt he should have been sacked. 

When a manager comes in and makes a big show of stamping their own mark on the club, in Ayrs case, players should be vegan, all the subs should go in at half time or like Caldwell, switching dugouts, having a player kidnapped………or other teams making players travel in suits, or drive 40 miles in the wrong direction on match days because they have to travel up on a team bus, it never works out well. 

some teams work because of the atmosphere in the dressing room, so when a manager comes in, announcing the fact he’s a massive arse and he’s going to make players miserable because of some daft philosophy, it usually results in relegation. 

When Lee Clark came in at Kilmarnock he changed training to whatever time the next game was at. Which didn’t seem to go down very well.

14 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

When Lee Clark came in at Kilmarnock he changed training to whatever time the next game was at. Which didn’t seem to go down very well.

Did Lee McCulloch not draw a pitch on the floor of the changing room as well 😆

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Saw this is the paper. Thought this nonsense of teams getting changed miles away from each other had been binned but seemingly not. Maybe Robbo can advise if hospitality suite will still be used? God help the Killie players walking down the seggy line if that's the case 😂

20211007_191715.jpg

During the restrictions away teams at RP had to change in portacabins behind the Moffat Stand but last Saturday both teams emerged from the tunnel.

This may not be the case at every club thou, changes to red zones, away fans etc is based on each individual clubs risk assessment.

Edited by C4mmy31

37 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

During the restrictions away teams at RP had to change in portacabins behind the Moffat Stand but last Saturday both teams emerged from the tunnel.

This may not be the case at every club thou, changes to red zones, away fans etc is based on each individual clubs risk assessment.

As far as I was aware it was the ref/linesman etc that was changing in the portacabin at the Moffat. My mate was helping out there during covid times and he said the players were using the bar or restaurant or whatever it is at the Frank Beattie stand 

Believe the team had a game today and ran out 5-1 winners against a team of free agents from around the UK , from what I was told a couple of the free agents looked pretty decent , maybe someone who can fill the gaps required 

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

As far as I was aware it was the ref/linesman etc that was changing in the portacabin at the Moffat. My mate was helping out there during covid times and he said the players were using the bar or restaurant or whatever it is at the Frank Beattie stand 

May have been the case at one point, possibly before delivery of the portacabins.

The Dundee promotion celebration pictures for example were taken in and around the portacabins.

1 hour ago, C4mmy31 said:

May have been the case at one point, possibly before delivery of the portacabins.

The Dundee promotion celebration pictures for example were taken in and around the portacabins.

Not too sure. Just remember my mate saying the refs were using the portacabin and the Killie players were parking their cars behind the stand. Cant remember during that Dundee game if the away players came from the tunnel or elsewhere 

Believe the team had a game today and ran out 5-1 winners against a team of free agents from around the UK , from what I was told a couple of the free agents looked pretty decent , maybe someone who can fill the gaps required 

Really desperate stuff that we’re potentially looking to sign free agents at this stage. I seriously doubt we’ll find someone that’s good enough and isn’t already contracted somewhere else.

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Really desperate stuff that we’re potentially looking to sign free agents at this stage. I seriously doubt we’ll find someone that’s good enough and isn’t already contracted somewhere else.

Dundee Utd have signed one this week so potentially there is a chance.

I dont see the harm in it. We dont have a game this weekend, hopefully Duffy is aware of where we need strengthening. It depends who attended, I wouldnt be suprised if there are a few players kicking about that were holding out for higher wages, didnt get signed, that are now re-assessing their wages demands after kicking there heels for a few months. Would be interesting** to see who was in the team.

**interesting in a I dont have anything to do this afternoon so would use up an hour googling the players sort of way

Edited by honestly united

13 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

Was the team Morton got a slap on the wrist for playing last year.