The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

The issue we have is, I’m not entirely sure who the least worst is. Baird, McGinty and Fjortoft all seem quite similar in that they are all prone to similar lapses. I’m pretty confident McGinty is the worst, and I think Baird has possibly been the best this season. It really needs to be Muirhead and someone else in there, but we have absolutely fucked it in the CM department so we can’t really do that. 

The issue we have is, I’m not entirely sure who the least worst is. Baird, McGinty and Fjortoft all seem quite similar in that they are all prone to similar lapses. I’m pretty confident McGinty is the worst, and I think Baird has possibly been the best this season. It really needs to be Muirhead and someone else in there, but we have absolutely fucked it in the CM department so we can’t really do that. 

Baird and Fjortoft have at least done okay at this level with Baird managing to play a big role in that title winning St Mirren team. We’ve been told by both St Mirren and Morton fans that Baird needs a good partner next to him in order to succeed. Fjortoft is really just your average centre back at this level who is there to head the ball and play easy short passes. He’ll be prone to stupid mistakes like we’ve already seen this season.

McGinty is a league 1 defender who will occasionally have good games at this level and lure people into thinking he’s actually better than he is. He can’t judge headers, he rarely makes a tackle, his distribution is shite and he seems the type that will blame others for his own mistakes.

I’d quite happily see all 3 of them replaced in January but if I had to pick one of them to leave it would be him.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Baird and Fjortoft have at least done okay at this level with Baird managing to play a big role in that title winning St Mirren team. We’ve been told by both St Mirren and Morton fans that Baird needs a good partner next to him in order to succeed. Fjortoft is really just your average centre back at this level who is there to head the ball and play easy short passes. He’ll be prone to stupid mistakes like we’ve already seen this season.

McGinty is a league 1 defender who will occasionally have good games at this level and lure people into thinking he’s actually better than he is. He can’t judge headers, he rarely makes a tackle, his distribution is shite and he seems the type that will blame others for his own mistakes.

I’d quite happily see all 3 of them replaced in January but if I had to pick one of them to leave it would be him.

I think that’s a very good summary! 

Fair play to Aaron Muirhead who is seemingly becoming a better CB in fan’s eyes every time he doesn’t play there. The harsh reality is that all 4 are bang average at this level and that no combination is particularly strong. Compared with our defenders from 18/19 and 19/20 we had at least one from Smith, Rose and Harvie who looked capable of making a step up. Currently no other team in this league would bite your hand off for any of them never mind any of them being capable of making the step up.

However the actual issue particularly on Saturday with O’Connor missing is the midfield we’ve got isn’t strong enough to assert themselves in games either defensively or going forward and so the defence is left to soak up pressure and eventually it leaks. In January we need a ball winner alongside a more creative CM that can make passes and get us up the pitch unless someone down South wants to sign a short term deal until January like Shankland did to put themselves in the shop window.

Baird has looked ok this year but was pish along side Muirhead last season. Take McGinty out and Baird might be just as bad. 
How did Morton concede as few goals with this defence. I can only assume the full backs and midfield pulled in a lot of the slack. 

They basically played all out defence all season like we were doing under Hopkin.

1 minute ago, GaryMc93 said:

Fair play to Aaron Muirhead who is seemingly becoming a better CB in fan’s eyes every time he doesn’t play there. The harsh reality is that all 4 are bang average at this level and that no combination is particularly strong. Compared with our defenders from 18/19 and 19/20 we had at least one from Smith, Rose and Harvie who looked capable of making a step up. Currently no other team in this league would bite your hand off for any of them never mind any of them being capable of making the step up.

However the actual issue particularly on Saturday with O’Connor missing is the midfield we’ve got isn’t strong enough to assert themselves in games either defensively or going forward and so the defence is left to soak up pressure and eventually it leaks. In January we need a ball winner alongside a more creative CM that can make passes and get us up the pitch unless someone down South wants to sign a short term deal until January like Shankland did to put themselves in the shop window.

I don’t think anyone has said that Muirhead is outstanding. He is however miles better than the other three options. 

Calling some of them bang average is also generous! McGinty’s mistakes at the weekend have nothing to do with soaking up pressure, and are just him making basic mistakes. You aren’t wrong about the midfield though! 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

I don’t think anyone has said that Muirhead is outstanding. He is however miles better than the other three options. 

Calling some of them bang average is also generous! McGinty’s mistakes at the weekend have nothing to do with soaking up pressure, and are just him making basic mistakes. You aren’t wrong about the midfield though! 

I do accept he's likely the best option but you've still got to pair him with one of the others. Last season it appeared Kerr persisted with the Baird Roscoe partnership as one was captain and the other was left footed so it provided the balance that managers like. Hopkin went one better and combined the two with McGinty so it will probably be him. 

The one benefit with this team is normally when I play the Football Manager I feel bad about replacing the current squad, won't be the case this year. 

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I haven't even watched the highlights. The vivid descriptions on here of our ineptitude will suffice. 

I missed one of the goals, struggled with focus on a new camera and used the wrong LUT (so it was kind of dark)! A bad day at the office all around...

2 hours ago, GaryMc93 said:

Totally agree with this, we just invited pressure and it was obvious that mistakes would be made given the amount of pressure Thistle put us under and the amount of crosses we were having to defend.

We've actually looked ok defensively in the past 3 games, simply because we were taking the game to the opposition and limiting their attacking threat, however on Saturday we just sat back and waited for the inevitable to happen and of course it did.

What worried me about Saturday apart from the obvious was the fact that not one of our players put in a challenge or tackle at any point in the match and of course the 4th goal just epitomised this as they all jogged alongside admiring the run before watching the ball being driven into the net, shocking !!

As others have said though, we need to play with a solid back 4 and have actual width in the team otherwise we're just going to keep struggling of that there's no doubt. Granted with O'Connor and Bradley both out we've got serious problems but hopefully Hewitt will be another wide option when fit and with any luck they'll all be back sooner rather than later, otherwise we'd maybe need to take a chance on Adeloye and Afolabi together and hope that the likes of Moffat or Maxwell in behind with Murdoch can maybe find some passes, assert themselves and link up play ??

One thing is for sure, Chalmers is just not good enough and basically looks a waste of a jersey.

God knows, but that's what Duffy is being paid for so hopefully he'll come up with a solution sooner rather than later !!!

If we’re insisting on playing Chalmers then we kinda need to play him further up the pitch as an attacking midfielder. Get him away from areas where him losing the ball will result in efforts on goal and play midfielders behind him.

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If we’re insisting on playing Chalmers then we kinda need to play him further up the pitch as an attacking midfielder. Get him away from areas where him losing the ball will result in efforts on goal and play midfielders behind him.

Centre back, it's been decided.