The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

29 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I think after yesterday we can Chuck the “Moffat should be starting” opinions straight in the sea. 

I wasn't at the game yesterday but the starting 11 and formation was honking. I thought Hopkin had returned, by all accounts we played like he had as well. 🙈 

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

We’re obviously going to change our approach against better teams and I think it would’ve been pretty naive of Duffy to leave our defence exposed to the likes of Tiffoney, Rudden, Graham and Smith. We also don’t necessarily have a great attack to field. Adeloye has scored goals but we were missing Bradley and O’Connor and simply playing Maxwell and Salkeld doesn’t fix anything.

Against the teams around us we’ll probably try and take the game to them but against the teams further up the table I can see us trying to keep it tight and either get a point or steal a win from somewhere.

That’s the funny thing for me.  The formation change actually made us more exposed, in the wide areas specifically.  McCall always goes 4-4-2 and they were able to continually overload us in the wide areas with the midfield too slow and narrow to provide any cover for the wingbacks.  We defended the crosses poorly, but the number of crosses was very telling also.  We’d have been much better sticking with a back 4 (which has conceded 1 goal in 4 games) and getting Maxwell and Salkeld to match up in the wide areas.

Duffy can point the finger at the players, but he should look at himself first - he changed the system that was working fairly well and it blew up in his face.  And it’s not like it comes as a surprise.  We tried a back 3 with no natural sweeper against Arbroath and it was a shambles that day as well.

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I think after yesterday we can Chuck the “Moffat should be starting” opinions straight in the sea. 

Why?

I said it before the game, but Moffat’s effectiveness is built on our midfielders getting high up and linking up with him. We didn’t have a single midfield player capable of doing that yesterday, so you aren’t going to get anything from him. 

ETA, maybe if we always set up like that away from home then he shouldn’t be starting, but should otherwise at the moment. 

Edited by No_Problemo

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Stupid comment.  On the best analysis, Moffat will need a couple of games to get match fit.  And as other have pointed out, our midfield was so anonymous that Adeloye and Moffat were both left completely isolated.  Neither of them are miracle workers.

Away for the week end and was very predictable that result, Duffys first game after getting the job.

Went to Fleetwood v Charlton league one level and both struggling yet have vastly superior players not one of our players especially the defenders would get a game for either team.

Based on weather and pitch conditions along with the availability of players don’t think Duffy could have changed the starting 11 much  , can’t remember the last time just about everyone under performed, a number of players could not make 5 yard passes and choice of some of the passes were questionable, Partick going forward we’re pretty good , but my oh my how poor were our players yesterday, defenders who couldn’t defend , midfielders who couldn’t close down and forwards who got nothing to work with , all in all too many poor individual performances 

I have no issue with switching things up to counteract opposition strengths, in fact I encourage it strongly. My concern is that  moving back and forth from formations with two centre backs to formations with three makes it much more difficult to develop the necessary consistency in defence. Especially when one option has been significantly more effective than the other.

I appreciate that in theory the players should be able to cope, but the results don't seem to bear that out. If we want to tighten up for certain games I wonder whether adding an additional sitting midfielder might be a more effective approach than disrupting the back four.

Having said that, you can't impose tactics on the manager. He needs to stand or fall by his own decisions and his own judgment.

With 2 questionable defences yesterday it was always going to come down to who would take the lead.

For what it’s worth, I think the Moff is top drawer in a team on top, but looks poor chasing a game and on the back foot, as he will never put a tackle in.

I would start him though.

2 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

Based on weather and pitch conditions along with the availability of players don’t think Duffy could have changed the starting 11 much  , can’t remember the last time just about everyone under performed, a number of players could not make 5 yard passes and choice of some of the passes were questionable, Partick going forward we’re pretty good , but my oh my how poor were our players yesterday, defenders who couldn’t defend , midfielders who couldn’t close down and forwards who got nothing to work with , all in all too many poor individual performances 

In Hopkin's last game in charge, he said that everyone underperformed.

I am not sure how the pitch conditions impacted keeping a back 4. Unless Maxwell and Salkeld were carrying knocks I think they should have started, with McAllister playing right back.

I have just watched the highlights and as I thought at the time, Duffy needs to seriously consider dropping McGinty for the next few games. He was culpable in at least two of the goals and certainly should not be captain; he is becoming a figure of ridicule.

3 minutes ago, rgreig said:

In Hopkin's last game in charge, he said that everyone underperformed.

I am not sure how the pitch conditions impacted keeping a back 4. Unless Maxwell and Salkeld were carrying knocks I think they should have started, with McAllister playing right back.

I have just watched the highlights and as I thought at the time, Duffy needs to seriously consider dropping McGinty for the next few games. He was culpable in at least two of the goals and certainly should not be captain; he is becoming a figure of ridicule.

Becoming? The boy was a figure of ridicule in this thread from the moment we knew he’d inevitably sign for us when Hopkin was appointed. Absolute fucking haddy who has already cost us points and will continue to do for the rest of the season.

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Becoming? The boy was a figure of ridicule in this thread from the moment we knew he’d inevitably sign for us when Hopkin was appointed. Absolute fucking haddy who has already cost us points and will continue to do for the rest of the season.

Incredible he was talking about wanting to play for Scotland 😆

Having seen the “highlights”, that performance was even worse than I thought at the time. Basically the Sean McGinty show. Four text book examples of “how not to defend”. The club should make a video of it and market it. Defensive coaches the world over would gobble it up. Could make us millions.

Until Saturday I’ve actually thought some of the criticism of McGinty was OTT. He’s had a fair number of solid performances. But after Saturday I hope he never plays for us again. Even a defensive coach of Duffy’s proven ability can only do so much in producing silk purses from pigs’ ears. The main problems seem to be, (a) a total  lack of awareness at crucial times, and (b) a right foot that seems to have a life of its own. It’s a weapon of mass football destruction. Never seen such a one footed player. That goal up at ICT was a prime example.

First two goals, he lets a player run in behind him for a free header. Seemed to be totally unaware of their presence. Third goal, that lethal McGinty right foot produces a beautiful dink into the far corner. Pity it was his own net. Rudden was nowhere near it. The fourth goal he was involved again, gets easily beaten by big Graham at edge of the box. Then him, Baird and 4 others let Graham amble across the edge of the box without a single challenge and pull the trigger at his leisure. A ridiculous goal.

So, all in all, a defensive horror show which was among the worst I’ve ever witnessed as a long standing Ayr fan. Even worse than the 4-0 away to Arbroath last season. Or the 7-0 home defeat to ICT a few seasons ago. And all superbly orchestrated by the amazing Mr McGinty. To be directly at fault for three goals and heavily implicated in the fourth can’t happen often in any player’s career. A career I hope he continues elsewhere asap.

McGinty may well be a nice guy and clearly must have leadership qualities. He’s been captain at Aldershot, Torquay, Thistle and Morton before he came to us. But performances on the pitch must be the final arbiter, and at the moment it’s hard to justify him being in the team.   Maybe needs rested. Anyone can have a bad game (like the other 10 on Saturday), but his performance was so catastrophic I think he has to be dropped.