The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

9 minutes ago, HMIP said:

We basically gave the job to Hopkin because we apparently couldn’t think of anyone better and now we seem to be going down the road with Duffy.  I get that Duffy is a safe pair of hands in the short term,  but his record in management is deeply mediocre and you probably need to go back 2 decades to find a time when Duffy was seen as anything more than a safe pair of hands for clubs with modest ambitions and little imagination.  

I don’t really buy the argument that Duffy is our only option just because contributors to a fans forum can’t come up with another name, beyond John Hughes who may or may not be interested.  Would be fascinated to know who was on the short list the last time round, as Smith seemed pretty clear that there were bigger names than Hopkin in for the job who didn’t seem to impress him for whatever reason.

From what was mentioned at the time, Jim McIntyre, out the game for a few years. Stuart Kettlewell, just sacked from County, Billy Dodds, never been his own man and Hopkin. 

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

From what was mentioned at the time, Jim McIntyre, out the game for a few years. Stuart Kettlewell, just sacked from County, Billy Dodds, never been his own man and Hopkin. 

Don’t remember the club ever mentioning other names that were short listed or interviewed.  I think those names were just speculation on here.  

3 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

The way things are progressing and the current availability of a decent manager surely the right thing to do is keep Duffy in job to end of season , what does he have to prove to get job? so far 3 wins and a draw , you can bet your bottom dollar if he had lost a couple of them fans would be screaming for his departure and asking why we did not appoint a new manager sooner , for the club it’s a no win situation currently 

It's a no-win situation full stop.

Appoint Duffy and results start to go against him and he becomes "the cheap option", "a mediocre manager", "short-term appointment", tainted by Hopkin's failure and his good results seen as fluke.

Appoint someone else and if results go against them, its "should have appointed Duffy" - just as people said Sandy Stewart should have got the job when Mark Kerr became a bust. 

I think Duffy alongside an exciting, younger, high profile manager is probably the best way forward but perhaps if Duff has got the taste for being his own man again that won't interest him. 

If Duffy had been brought in, it would have looked like another old boys network, undeserved gid fitba man appointment.

But he was at the club, asked to steady the ship and has done. Possibly unsurprising results based on the form of the opposition but a huge turnaround from the previous two managers. 
As I said, it would be bad timing to announce him this week. A positive result against thistle and Smith could give him the nod at tea time on Saturday.

25 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

If Duffy had been brought in, it would have looked like another old boys network, undeserved gid fitba man appointment.

But he was at the club, asked to steady the ship and has done. Possibly unsurprising results based on the form of the opposition but a huge turnaround from the previous two managers. 
As I said, it would be bad timing to announce him this week. A positive result against thistle and Smith could give him the nod at tea time on Saturday.

A positive result on Saturday and it can only go downhill from there, 5 unbeaten would be madness. 

10 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

The problem could be is that the manager he wants to take the club longer term is not available currently and I think everyone can see that , we might need to wait to end of season to get that person , 

Surely we can pay compensation for them? 

Surely we can pay compensation for them? 

Might be more factors to it than that. Manager in question might not want to move mid season if it involves having to move his family about.

FWIW I think people are being too optimistic in thinking our next manager won’t be the one Smith sees being here for the long term. I can’t see us simply appointing Duffy just until the summer.