The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, RedEd said:

Don't know about his overall number of appearances but I'm sure he played in every game of the 87-88 season. He left in 1989 and signed for East Stirlingshire.

Think there were either 6 or 8 players who started every game

Watson, Furphy, McCallister, Evans, Walker, Templeton Sludden and Cowell. with McIntyre, Hughes, Kennedy, McKenzie, Scott and Wilson filling up the rest of the team. 

When you put that against the team that won the league in 2018-19, You would think that team picked its self. No player played every league game. 24 players were used as opposed to 14 in 87/88. It was some achievement. 

Edited by diegomarahenry

I can’t explain why I’m against us just giving it to him but I am. We were warned that he’s basically the same as Hopkin in that he plays dire football but I can’t really criticise him of that yet. We weren’t great on Saturday but we lost our best player at half time and continued to try and play with the ball apart from when we seemed to persist with the long throws into the box.

There’s just something that tells me he’ll see us through this season and then completely balls it up over the summer with some terrible recruitment and we’ll be back to where we started.

We were flat against Morton and there wasn't much done to change it. 

We didn't look like getting beat, making changes might have opened us up a bit but it also might have won us the game. 

We brought on Moffat and McKenzie as well as Maxwell in the forward area and didn't really change the shape. 

We have an imbalance to the squad and O'Conners injury didn't help with the attacking threat. 

It's either going to bring stability which we need post Hopkin/Kerr, maybe not taking us a step further or once teams get wise to us and we don't have a plan B and results start to go badly. 

In summary, I don't know. I don't see him being someone who can take the club a step further in the coming years. But I think he is capable of keeping us out of danger in the championship. 

Should Duffy feel aggrieved if he doesn't get the job after winning 7/9 points when we'd barely won that in our last 20 games?  Yes. But it doesn't mean he's going to take us further than 5th to 8th place in the Championship medium term.

Partick and QOTS will be a big test, our record against Queens in particular is rotten and losing to McCall, Docherty and Bell would be a tough one.  Announcing him before these two games would be a mistake in my opinion, Unbeaten in four games with two tricky, likely scrappy, nervous games that could go either way. Defeat in those two, against mid-ranking teams in the league would lead a lot of people to think he was never the man for the job. A win against Partick on Saturday and I'd announce him at the start of next week. 

Could you imagine if he was appointed and lost the next 4 games? McCalls Partick, QOTS, away to Arbroath and then home to Kilmarnock? Smiths twitter would be deleted. Glad its not my decision.  

2 hours ago, the west curve said:

Out till next year.

Where you getting that, the boy himself says he's targeting the Killie game?

I’m setting myself the target of the Kilmarnock game next month as it would be great to play in that one under the lights against our rivals

www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/irish-winger-daire-oconnor-curses-25094161.amp

No suprise to hear that Duffy is forefront to be our next "permanent" manager. I called how this would play out when he joined us. Knew Hopkin would be out on his ear shortly and Duffy would step up. I should have put money on it! Hes had some decent results but the acid test for me with be the games v Partick and Killie (no disrespect to QOS and Arbroath)

Don't see who we could possibly get who's likely to have more experience of high level coaching or Management on their CV than Duffy.

We've been down this road twice already in the past 18 months and ended up with 2 out of 2 failures, so let's say we got Hughes in and we lost a few games, where would we go from there ??

The bottom line for me is that Duffy has bags of experience, he's got us well organised, he's got the players putting in a shift and we've taken 7 points from 9 since he's taken over. Honestly, what more can he do and what exactly are people hoping for ??

For what it's worth, I'd love a Coyle / Stewart partnership but as it's unlikely to happen then I don't see the point in chasing Rainbows now that we've found some much needed stability....

Has Duffy actually done enough to warrant the permanent job. It's 3 games, the league season is 36 games. The bar was also horrifically low because of Hopkin's ineptitude.

I think we should hold the line, the club said we would take a few weeks. It's only been 3 weeks since Hopkin was bagged. I think its no coincidence that was the time frame and we have 2 weeks between the Partick and Queens game. I expect a call will be made during that 2 weeks.

If it is to be Duffman then to the end of the season seems most appropriate to me. Any longer and we've not learnt the lessons from appointing Hopkin (how he got a 2 1/2 year contract is beyond me).

Has Duffy actually done enough to warrant the permanent job. It's 3 games, the league season is 36 games. The bar was also horrifically low because of Hopkin's ineptitude.
I think we should hold the line, the club said we would take a few weeks. It's only been 3 weeks since Hopkin was bagged. I think its no coincidence that was the time frame and we have 2 weeks between the Partick and Queens game. I expect a call will be made during that 2 weeks.
If it is to be Duffman then to the end of the season seems most appropriate to me. Any longer and we've not learnt the lessons from appointing Hopkin (how he got a 2 1/2 year contract is beyond me).

We can’t give it to him before Saturday surely? If he beats Partick then he’ll have a strong case but no chance this is just until the summer. This has to be who Smith sees as our long term plan.

I’d arguably hold off on any decision until we’ve played Killie. A defeat there will put any manger we appoint on the back foot immediately and we don’t want that.

8 hours ago, Trogdor said:

The way things are progressing and the current availability of a decent manager surely the right thing to do is keep Duffy in job to end of season , what does he have to prove to get job? so far 3 wins and a draw , you can bet your bottom dollar if he had lost a couple of them fans would be screaming for his departure and asking why we did not appoint a new manager sooner , for the club it’s a no win situation currently 

Edited by Finlay21