The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I think I'm also in the Duffy as a short term option camp. I was pretty frustrated with two things yesterday:

Salkeld's position - is he meant to be wide right or in the middle? Constantly he was in the wrong space (when we needed him wide right he was tucked inside and vice versa).

The substitutions - Salkeld should have been hooked rather than Bradley for Moffat. Then play balls to feet to Moffat (just behind Adeloye) who could then play in Maxwell (on the left) Adeloye (through the middle) or Bradley (on the right).

Instead of this we persisted with long throws and high balls which was meat and drink for big Lithgow. 

Edited by Trogdor

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I think I'm also in the Duffy as a short term option camp. I was pretty frustrated with two things yesterday:

Salkeld's position - is he meant to be wide right or in the middle? Constantly he was in the wrong space (when we needed him wide right he was tucked inside and vice versa).

The substitutions - Salkeld should have been hooked rather than Bradley for Moffat. Then play balls to feet to Moffat (just behind Adeloye) who could then play in Maxwell (on the left) Adeloye (through the middle) or Bradley (on the right).

Instead of this we persisted with long throws and high balls which was meat and drink for big Lithgow. 

Bradley was pretty ineffective and the link up play with Adeloye was non existent.  Looked pretty knackered to me when he went off.  On top of that we tried Bradley on the right against Accies and he proved to be absolute powder puff defensively.  I think the real question is why Moffat didn’t start the game - he is still the most intelligent footballer at the club.  

I personally thought we played OK with our defending and use of the ball much better than the start of the season.  I think we’re just having to play round fundamental deficiencies at the moment - a lack of support for Adeloye, a lack of attacking threat down the right and the lack of a midfield playmaker (though I thought Murdoch in particular was excellent).

On Bradley, I was disappointed we never moved him closer to Adeloye which has been really successful in the two games we've done it so far.  I get what we are doing having him deeper but there needs to be spells he is playing up top as he's really effective playing as a striker. 

Up to fifth though. If we can float around there for the rest of season then I can tolerate whatever is served up on the pitch with Duffy as manager. A touch more quality and that game was easy winnable yesterday.

Edited by UpInTheAyr

10 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Bradley was pretty ineffective and the link up play with Adeloye was non existent.  Looked pretty knackered to me when he went off.  On top of that we tried Bradley on the right against Accies and he proved to be absolute powder puff defensively.  I think the real question is why Moffat didn’t start the game - he is still the most intelligent footballer at the club.  

I personally thought we played OK with our defending and use of the ball much better than the start of the season.  I think we’re just having to play round fundamental deficiencies at the moment - a lack of support for Adeloye, a lack of attacking threat down the right and the lack of a midfield playmaker (though I thought Murdoch in particular was excellent).

Aye, Murdoch was very good. He seems to be consistently performing very well. Other than Adeloye he's probably been the most consistent and effective this season.

There is no doubt Moffat should be featuring more. Either as a starter or at least getting the majority of the second half.

O'Connor being out is a worry as first half everything positive came down the left. Maxwell just isn't as effective in there, I know he hit the bar but I was a bit frustrated with Maxwell too. He seems to be too easily brushed off the ball for my liking. He needs some advice from Forrest on bulking up.

20 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'm maybe being a bit harsh on Salkeld but his poor positional play was probably best highlighted when Moffat was trying to turn with the ball and Salkeld was right behind him trying to stand on the same blade of grass. 🤬

It’s not harsh at all tbh, he was dreadful and didn’t contribute anything positively until around the 80th minute. 

I was hoping he might kick on as he was good in our last home game, maybe that was just the exception!

58 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Murdoch has been the best Ayr player on the park in my opinion for the past 4 games. He goes about his business quietly but you can see clear as day he is a total class above. If we had another Andy murdoch type to play the mark kerr role infront of the back 4 that would sort out the midfield troubles I reckon. 

Edited by Rossco500

I wonder if Murdochs return to form can be attributed to Duffy, who will know him well from his time at Morton. He was arguably one of the best midfielders in the league under him and I haven’t seen him play this well since before his injury.

I’d also start playing Moffat from the start from now on. I don’t think Salkeld was particularly bad yesterday but his positioning is erratic to say the best. He needs to start stretching defenders instead of trying to get close to the striker up front. If he does that then he’ll give the likes of Bradley or Moffat (whoever is playing with Adeloye) more space to get on the ball.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I wonder if Murdochs return to form can be attributed to Duffy, who will know him well from his time at Morton. He was arguably one of the best midfielders in the league under him and I haven’t seen him play this well since before his injury.

I’d also start playing Moffat from the start from now on. I don’t think Salkeld was particularly bad yesterday but his positioning is erratic to say the best. He needs to start stretching defenders instead of trying to get close to the striker up front. If he does that then he’ll give the likes of Bradley or Moffat (whoever is playing with Adeloye) more space to get on the ball.

Murdoch has been playing well all season.  Maybe it wasn’t obvious because of the hoofball tactics, but it was noticeable in the league cup game against Hamilton that he was so much more mobile than last season.  Thought he was excellent against Dundee Utd as well.  Pre-contract offer from Ian McCall incoming?

50 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Maxwell is a great player and should be in the team every week, he was the reason we were so much better in the second half. I would have him and Daire starting on the flanks every week, we could murder teams!

I think he's got nothing about him, what you seeing? 

I think Maxwell can be very good at bringing the ball forward and seems to have a bit of pace about him. Can look dangerous when he is running towards a defence with options either side.

His final decision is almost always off though and seems to get the ball lost in his feet regularly. Not really sure what position actually suits him best, not convinced about him doing any kind of defensive duties tbh.

Might be helpful if we actually played Maxwell in his position, but Reading has been excellent so that isn’t happening. By all accounts he did very well there last season. I think he can do a job at left midfield but you can tell he isn’t entirely comfortable there. 

Hopkin doing Hopkin things though...

I think he's got nothing about him, what you seeing? 

I think he’s quick, decent on the ball but lacks the ability to make the right decision when in the final 3rd. He’s got loads of energy which is why I’d play him in midfield but I’m not sure he’s good enough to play as an out an out full back or winger. He’d be quite handy doing what Geggan did for us on the right hand side when we were in the Championship.

I like him though.