The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Short term we are getting results, a new manager appointment also needs to take into account the long term and future transfer planning. That is something we have been told isn’t Duffy’s strong point...

It's not any out-of-work manager's strong point. Otherwise they wouldn't be out of a job.

Long-term requires several things in addition to building a team: an academy, better facilities, and bigger gates. The academy is already there and doing great. After years of not a lot happening, the facilities are finally coming on strong. Attendance is trickier, especially during a pandemic, but success and attendance are always strongly correlated.

As for building a team, it's again a difficult thing to do at this level, especially when you're only giving people one-year contracts. Even Uncle Ian couldn't do it with the funds he had. Top priorities right now are e.g. keeping Adeloye. Does Hughes help with that?

5 minutes ago, Thumper said:

It's not any out-of-work manager's strong point. Otherwise they wouldn't be out of a job.

Long-term requires several things in addition to building a team: an academy, better facilities, and bigger gates. The academy is already there and doing great. After years of not a lot happening, the facilities are finally coming on strong. Attendance is trickier, especially during a pandemic, but success and attendance are always strongly correlated.

As for building a team, it's again a difficult thing to do at this level, especially when you're only giving people one-year contracts. Even Uncle Ian couldn't do it with the funds he had. Top priorities right now are e.g. keeping Adeloye. Does Hughes help with that?

He doesn’t, but we need someone that is identifying players well in advance for the following seasons, (McGlynn with Berra and Zanatta for example) and has some kind of plan, as opposed to just dealing with the short term. By the sounds of it Duffy isn’t that man, we don’t know who is really - as we aren’t involved in any interview process. 

As you said this only works for a set period of time, and then you have to restart. It is exactly what McCall did though - Harvie, Rose, Shankland Muirhead etc etc - all brought in as a look to the future or to replace someone departing in advance. 

To be honest I'm pretty happy we haven't charged into another manager, listening to Smith talking to Spiers came across as very reflective. Is Duffy the long term answer, probably not. However, he is doing a great job and should be commended for the short term progress with what looked like a group of duds a couple of weeks ago. He's probably achieved far more in 3 games than most of us expected, regardless of opposition. Absolutely buzzing now for the Morton game, it should give us a better indicator of where we are. 

23 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I was told the players liked Hopkin and thought his training and match plans were good, players are idiots. 

I know a former director at Dumbarton who watched Alan Adamson, Ian Murray, Stevie Aitken and Jim Duffy take training sessions whilst in charge of our team and he said Duffy was probably the least organised coach with the poorest training of the lot (caveated by the fact that Adamson and Murray had Jack Ross taking training for them). However, there is no doubt that out of all of those managers Duffy was liked the most by players. Adamson never had the reputation to gain respect, Murray is dour and unapproachable, Aitken tried to be everyone's mate but pissed folk off but Duffy really was liked by all the players and staff. No doubt he's an excellent man manager, which is why I think he does so well with groups of players he didn't assemble. His work with Isaac Layne with us speaks a lot about Duffy's character and why he's so well liked, he goes to some lengths to keep players happy and focused. 

2 hours ago, Hawk89 said:

Absolutely buzzing now for the Morton game, it should give us a better indicator of where we are. 

Me too and it should be a better/different indicator of where we are if nothing else but because, unlike in recent games, we'll be favourites at home against a misfiring Morton side. However they usually travel down the coast well so no chickens being counted by me. A similar awareness by Duffy of what tactics are needed and another professinal performance from his players is all I want - plus 3 points 😜 

On the face of it, 3 games and 3 wins. 7 goals for and 1 against. Never been a goal down in Duffys time as manager. Wholesale changes to formation and lineup in every game.

Scratching beneath the surface, we have played 2 teams struggling with their own ideas and a boys team. We have been professional and won all 3 which is a big step forward from a few weeks ago. 
Against both Hamilton and Dunfermline, we gave away a lot of chances but very few clear cut. The issues with the squad are known to everybody so I expect the next 3 games will show how well our season will go with this current set of players. If we continue to show the professionalism we have in the last 3 matches it will come down to the weaknesses we have in the squad and what Duffy does to counter them. 

Absolute tin pot behaviour by someone at out club. Thrown out of the bush league cup because somebody either didnt know or couldnt be arsed with the rules. Riddy behaviour 

Meh. Mistakes happen. As long as it didn’t happen in a league game or a later round of either the Scottish or League Cup.

22 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

That’s it confirmed that we’ve been kicked out the diddy cup but with no financial penalty.

Will cost club around 5 figure sum , prize money for winning will not be paid ,and then the future prize money as I think we could have beaten Alloa and potentially Cove 

7 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Will cost club around 5 figure sum , prize money for winning will not be paid ,and then the future prize money as I think we could have beaten Alloa and potentially Cove 

I hope the individual responsible (if it was one individual) isn't given too tough a time. Mistakes happen.

Despite the noise from some, this is a real pity.  The finals we got to in the 90s were great days out (particularly the Dundee one) and I have no doubt a final nowadays would attract a big Ayr crowd and generate a bit of buzz around the club.  No doubt a few of the “diddy cup” commenters might even attend such a game.

I just don't enjoy the fact that R*ngers B were given a 3-0 victory. Unjustified. They were played off the park in Dumbarton by a superior Ayr team, who played two boys who are being developed at the club. 

You'd think the the spfl would be encouraging player development as opposed to throwing clubs out of cups. Yes, someone at Ayr United made a mistake, or the rules are too complicated or whatever but I disagree with the outcome. 

I hope lessons will be learned. However who would have thought that, in the future, you would need to check if all teams in a competition are selecting players on the same basis?
How could believe any sporting body organising any competition would be stupid enough to allow differences in selection from competing teams!!