The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

7 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

It will be interesting to see Afolabi in a non-Hopkin team 

Yeah, when I rewatched his red card - I don’t think it was a case of not caring, just trying far too hard - looking stupid and getting frustrated. There simply has to be more there than we’ve seen. 

Better times for Ayr United. Maybe something to be aware of in playing forthcoming opposition? - we'll likely be favourites against Morton for instance and that surely is a different mindset for the manager and all his players. Put another way, the expectation levels have surely risen. Been impressed with Duffy's tactical changes in recent games and the players do seem to be listening and adapting to what he wants. Time (injuries/suspensions and playng conditions) will tell how much we've improved but I hope the players now know the level they need to be at (at least) for good results to continue. It's not an exact science of course and Lady Luck and an idiot referee can both have an influence at times but there is a feeling of professionalism with Duffy and his players - long may that continue.   

Duffy to lead us to six wins in a row only to be then appointed perm manager on the back of Smith giving the same shite patter that he did with Hopkin only to botch the Jan transfer window, and lead us to a relegation battle where we survive on the last day. Rinse and repeat for next season.

I appreciate the improvement under Duffy and hope it continues but I say again Mr.Chairman take your time there is no rush, Duff is going nowhere and we really need to gauge is this the right move for the future? I would love for Duffy to be the right man at the right time for us but I still remember what happened at Morton and it ended badly there, really not sure he is the right manager for us just now.

I don’t think Duffy is the right manager for us long term but if we get a couple of decent results in the next 2 games then he’s probably shown enough value to be kept on as part of the next coaching team.

If it’s not John Hughes then I wonder if we go for a younger manager like a Brian Gilmour type that’s starting out but would be happy to learn from and work alongside Duffy (+ Timmins or Joyce if they wanted to stay). No ideas who matches that description and it’s more based on no one unemployed being that appealing.

Provided we get kicked out the cup on Monday then getting someone in after Partick might be ideal to give them time. If not it's Duffy until the end of the season.

The chairman and the board have a tricky decision, but it's not like Jim Duffy is a Hansi Flick who comes into a temporary position with no track record. There's a lot more to assess his candidacy on than a handful of games under unusual circumstances.

Surely if Duffy wins the next 2/3 games you keep him to end of season ? Why would you change a winning management team , especially when you look at who is available, can’t see many of them being any better than what we have ( this is based only on not losing next 2/3 games) 

56 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Surely if Duffy wins the next 2/3 games you keep him to end of season ? Why would you change a winning management team , especially when you look at who is available, can’t see many of them being any better than what we have ( this is based only on not losing next 2/3 games) 

Smith said he wanted someone long term. Maybe Duffy in some capacity with a succession plan to a new coach would work. 

1 hour ago, Finlay21 said:

I partly agree, but don’t think it’s quite as simple as that. 

Having our long term manager in place means that we can begin to plan for the future immediately, and they would have the January and summer transfer windows to do that. Stick with Duffy until the end of the season and we are limiting that somewhat. We also know that based on past performance that Duffy isn’t our long term man, a solid manager who is perfect for what is required back now. 

Obviously Morton and Dumbarton fans would be able to give us more insight. 

47 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I partly agree, but don’t think it’s quite as simple as that. 

Having our long term manager in place means that we can begin to plan for the future immediately, and they would have the January and summer transfer windows to do that. Stick with Duffy until the end of the season and we are limiting that somewhat. We also know that based on past performance that Duffy isn’t our long term man, a solid manager who is perfect for what is required back now. 

Obviously Morton and Dumbarton fans would be able to give us more insight. 

Cant always go on previous teams performance, you don’t know what budget they had , which makes a massive difference to any team , I can’t see anyone at the moment we could see as long term who is out of a job , yes if someone else becomes available that totally changes the situation 

2 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Cant always go on previous teams performance, you don’t know what budget they had , which makes a massive difference to any team , I can’t see anyone at the moment we could see as long term who is out of a job , yes if someone else becomes available that totally changes the situation 

We can surely go on that both Morton and Dumbarton fans wanted him to leave... I don’t see what else we can go on other than past managerial experience. 

All depends on who applies ultimately. 

Edited by No_Problemo

44 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

We can surely go on that both Morton and Dumbarton fans wanted him to leave... I don’t see what else we can go on other than past managerial experience. 

All depends on who applies ultimately. 

Agree with your point about it all depends on who applies , I just don’t like the look of the ones currently available 

3 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

Six games is a really small sample size to base any conclusions on. Especially if the results of matches are the only factor you're looking at. Doesn't make it easy for a board that's trying to look at the bigger picture though.