The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Who gives a f**k? It's the fucking diddiest of diddy cups. 

That's as maybe but it probably shows another failing within the club. It's not good enough for a full time "professional" club.

If you fail at this pretty basic requirement of the game then it probably highlights bigger failings within the club as a whole as well.

It shows a lack of professionalism and attention to detail. 

Both unacceptable and unforgiveable. 

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Rangers are entering a B team and the rules of the competition allow them to recall players to play in it (they could in theory have recalled James Maxwell to play against you). Ayr United are a first team in context of this competition even if they chose to play a shadow side. You can't play players who are out on loan to other clubs in it.

Firstly, if Ayr have played ineligible players then they should be thrown out. That is straightforward. 

However, it makes no sense to have different rules for different teams in the same competition. Either all clubs can recall their loan players and play them or nobody can. Absolutely farcical but doesn't excuse Ayr getting it wrong.

23 minutes ago, yorkshirepud said:

Firstly, if Ayr have played ineligible players then they should be thrown out. That is straightforward. 

However, it makes no sense to have different rules for different teams in the same competition. Either all clubs can recall their loan players and play them or nobody can. Absolutely farcical but doesn't excuse Ayr getting it wrong.

You're entitled to that opinion if you wish of course but its 'interesting' how many Ayr fans are desperate to point out what a stupid rule it is as if its some new rule change. The B / Colt teams have always been able to do this for the 5 or 6 years they've been in the competition. Its not new. Its intended to ensure the big clubs dont refuse to loan players out because it would leave them short / weak in the Cup.

Its widely known they can. Indeed Dundee recalled two players from Forfar to play AGAINST Forfar in the 1st round. Nobody's batted an eyelid at it or raised any complaint about it before now. 

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You're entitled to that opinion if you wish of course but its 'interesting' how many Ayr fans are desperate to point out what a stupid rule it is as if its some new rule change. The B / Colt teams have always been able to do this for the 5 or 6 years they've been in the competition. Its not new. Its intended to ensure the big clubs dont refuse to loan players out because it would leave them short / weak in the Cup.

Its widely known they can. Indeed Dundee recalled two players from Forfar to play AGAINST Forfar in the 1st round. Nobody's batted an eyelid at it or raised any complaint about it before now. 

I’ve noticed it before, and thought it was ridiculous then - just because it wasn’t discussed on here doesn’t make that not the case. 

The “big clubs” aren’t refusing to loan people out and stunting their development so that can play a couple of games in this cup. 

Noticed it before, thought it was absurd, probably said that at the time somewhere on P&B.

Just because it’s “not a new rule” doesn’t mean people can’t call it out for being fucking stupid.

51 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Its widely known they can. Indeed Dundee recalled two players from Forfar to play AGAINST Forfar in the 1st round. Nobody's batted an eyelid at it or raised any complaint about it before now

To be beautifully smug and pedantic,  I thought you of all people would have known it was PETERHEAD and not Forfar 😎.   

Jim McInally seemed to think it was a daft rule as he ended up having to fling his sub keeper on as an outfield sub as Dundee taking the 2 lads back left them short of numbers. 

For what it's worth despite it being a ridiculous rule it's equally ridiculous that we somehow didn't know it.   I personally couldn't care less about getting punted out this cup but it does give me the fear that if we miss something as obvious as this that there then might end up being issues later in season missing someone being suspended for accumulated bookings or something.  That's amateur level stuff admin wise.

Edit:  it's actually worse than 'not knowing the rule' in our case, as the exception is the B Teams being able to play loan players. How we somehow thought two players out on loan could still play in a cup tie is mind boggling. 

Edited by Hursty

54 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

As others have pointed out, it's a stupid rule whether any of us commented on it here previously or not.

Dundee played Peterhead, not Forfar. Resulted in one of the players on loan to Peterhead being injured and of course those players became cup-tied. 

Edited by RedEd

Get a grip lads, mistakes happen.

I'm not sure it stretches to the levels of the club being unprofessional in everything it does. 

It is literally the most meaningless tournament we compete in. I'd rather a f**k up like this happens in the tunnocks/petrofac/irn bru/b&q cup rather than the Scottish Cup.

Just now, Trogdor said:

Get a grip lads, mistakes happen.

I'm not sure it stretches to the levels of the club being unprofessional in everything it does. 

It is literally the most meaningless tournament we compete in. I'd rather a f**k up like this happens in the tunnocks/petrofac/irn bru/b&q cup rather than the Scottish Cup.

It's a pretty glaring mistake though.  Somehow either of three things have happened:

1 - nobody has even realised that the 2 players who were called up to the squad were out on loan at the time (impossible).  

2 - we have just assumed it was OK for them to play without checking, possibly due to confusion about the rule being different for the Rangers team (unprofessional)

3 - we have known they were on loan, checked, and somehow picked up the answer wrongly and played them in confidence they were OK.

All 3 of those are ridiculous.  It's proper Amateur stuff - I've been involved with a low level amateur team for years and even at that level it's an absolute basic necessity to check whether players are eligible or not.  If in doubt, don't play them.  

9 minutes ago, Hursty said:

All 3 of those are ridiculous.  It's proper Amateur stuff - I've been involved with a low level amateur team for years and even at that level it's an absolute basic necessity to check whether players are eligible or not.  If in doubt, don't play them.  

And yet we aren't the first professional club it's happened too. It usually happens at least once a season involving an SPFL team. I just don't accept that one error means the entire operation is unprofessional. That's a ludicrous position to take.

In all likelihood an individual has fucked up. It happens, I'm just not allowing it to suck the positivity out of the last couple of results.

7 minutes ago, RedEd said:

As others have pointed out, it's a stupid rule whether any of us commented on it here previously or not. 

I'll freely admit I had no idea about this rule. I expect that I am not alone which may account for the lack of outrage previously on the topic.

There isn't any excuse of course from the club's perspective - they pay someone to know and implement the rules and that person has presumably cost the club some money (even if we are not fined, we lose the share of the gate receipts from the next round).

At least we have outdone our county rivals - they merely fielded one ineligible player whereas we did 100% better.

32 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

And yet we aren't the first professional club it's happened too. It usually happens at least once a season involving an SPFL team. I just don't accept that one error means the entire operation is unprofessional. That's a ludicrous position to take.

In all likelihood an individual has fucked up. It happens, I'm just not allowing it to suck the positivity out of the last couple of 

It certainly takes nothing away from the actual results.   It's been a positive week on the park without doubt, and will have zero bearing on Saturday at Hamilton either. 

I just can't get my head round the fact there was a manager, coaches, i would assume some other club representative and 16 or 17 players including quite a few senior ones there and absolutely nobody asked the question "are these lads that are out on loan definitely OK to play tonight?".  That's mind boggling haha.  

Just because other SPFL teams have done it in recent years doesn't make it right- using the local example of Killie v East Kilbride as well as us this week - any professional football club should be 100% aware who is and isn't available for each match based on the rules around loans / cup tied deadlines / suspensions between competitions etc.   Its really basic stuff and the information is out there, it's hardly top secret.