The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I always felt that we had a decent team in that squad.

Time will tell, obviously.

When you had a lot of the ‘talent’ on the bench each week, it was only going to go one way unfortunately.

Now it has been released and we have scored 6 goals in 2 games.

More of the same please come Saturday.

What price Adeloye to score with a Moffat assist?

21 minutes ago, cappiecat said:

FTFY

Well aye, but there was a narrative developing that the squad wasn’t bad at all, in actual fact it was quite good, if we beat Hamilton there will be a title charge.

Duffy has changed the style and we are winning games but the basic failings of the team are still there, once we hit managers like McPherson, McCall, Johnston, Wright…they will try to exploit them. At least now, we have a bit more about us to counter that and at least try to compete. 

Setting up in league games to try and not take a pumping is unforgivable unless you are concerned about goal difference and you are playing one of the old firm. You shouldn’t realistically expect a 5-0 thrashing off someone in this league. Might happen but you wouldn’t expect it. 

I like the change in style obviously and the irony of our first goal against the Pars (i.e. played all the way along the ground from our keeper and 3 passes and into the back of the net at the other end) shouldn't be lost on any of us. But I'm still a little unconvinced about us at the back - the Pars created quite a few (missed) chances and should have taken at least one or two of them. In addition, the midfield are not strong enough on the ball and seemed to get caught out a few times, exposing our back four too often. Getting Muirhead and perhaps McAllister in there could be key for us especially against the better teams.

Sounds like a solid enough performance last night even with 8 changes in personnel from Saturday's team. Duffy was smart enough to spot the tactical changes necessary at half-time - so I'll be very interested to see what 11 he goes with on the plastic at Hamilton (where we've won already this season). COYA   

Just now, Jazzar said:

I like the change in style obviously and the irony of our first goal against the Pars (i.e. played all the way along the ground from our keeper and 3 passes and into the back of the net at the other end) shouldn't be lost on any of us. But I'm still a little unconvinced about us at the back - the Pars created quite a few (missed) chances and should have taken at least one or two of them. In addition, the midfield are not strong enough on the ball and seemed to get caught out a few times, exposing our back four too often. Getting Muirhead and perhaps McAllister in there could be key for us especially against the better teams.

Sounds like a solid enough performance last night even with 8 changes in personnel from Saturday's team. Duffy was smart enough to spot the tactical changes necessary at half-time - so I'll be very interested to see what 11 he goes with on the plastic at Hamilton (where we've won already this season). COYA   

If we want to avoid a relegation battle, we desperately need to bring in the central midfielder we have all been talking about and move Muirhead back. 

As someone whose optimism levels have hovered at or below Private Fraser levels since Hopkin's contract was extended at the end of last season, I do actually think that while the personnel are not going to be challenging for the title they could be comfortable enough with the right management. Adeloye has hit the ground running, O'Connor coming in is very welcome, the club is at least not going to be struggling to put together a defence like usually happens every February, and a higher proportion of the league's clubs appear to be in omnishambles mode than normal this season.

Fully expect to be flinging shite at the walls again when Uncle Ian comes knocking but for the time the nurses have lowered my medication.

36 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

No way we challenge not even the most optimistic of us think that just now but with a fairly competent manager the squad is good enough for 5th to 8th and with a few additions maybe we can think of getting back to aiming for the play offs in the not to distant future.

With the start we've had I'm more than happy if we battle it out this season to finish somewhere in the P5-8 category. The right addition or two might see us chasing after 4th if the stars align and other clubs descend into trying to chuck it mode. Just now we have a great opportunity with Dunfermline who look to have a decent squad staring into the abyss. Hamilton seem to be a little bit shakey which will also help us. 
7 games between now and the end of October, realistically we should be looking for North of 9 points from them. It is a scrappy league and everyone will take points off everyone. That would put us roughly in line with QotS's start on points per game. 

f**k it, I’m going for unbeaten till the end of the season - open top bus - pipping killie to the title - Jim Duffy manager of the year - Golden boot for Adeloye - 3 derby wins under our belt - winner of the SPFL Trust trophy beating killie 4-1 in the final - and new non-lethal variant of Covid accounting for 99% of all new infections 😊😊😊

3 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Well aye, but there was a narrative developing that the squad wasn’t bad at all, in actual fact it was quite good, if we beat Hamilton there will be a title charge.

Duffy has changed the style and we are winning games but the basic failings of the team are still there, once we hit managers like McPherson, McCall, Johnston, Wright…they will try to exploit them. At least now, we have a bit more about us to counter that and at least try to compete. 

Setting up in league games to try and not take a pumping is unforgivable unless you are concerned about goal difference and you are playing one of the old firm. You shouldn’t realistically expect a 5-0 thrashing off someone in this league. Might happen but you wouldn’t expect it. 

There's not a team in this league who doesn't have "failings" hence the reason they're playing in this league in the first place !!

Personally i'm happy enough with our squad apart from maybe a quality creative midfielder (who don't grow on trees) but other than that I don't think we're any worse than any of the sides mentioned above.

I think we just need to accept that we WILL lose games and we WILL lose poor goals, however show me a team in this league (or indeed any) that won't have the exact same issues.

For me it's all about competing, having a go at the opposition and doing it in a way which entertains the fans, if we can do all that then I can accept the inevitable mistakes and loss of goals as unfortunately that's just part and parcel of watching football at any level.

We can debate the merits of the squad all day and night and ultimately that of Hopkin's recruitment. It's all about results, it's always been about the results.

Two wins against an under performing Dunfermline and Rangers U-14 team should temper the enthusiasm a little though. One game at a time and all that.