The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, rb123! said:

There's a nice big bit of land behind the railway end which isn't getting houses on it anymore from what i believe, just saying....

Was it the entire yard (triangle area) that Kirkwood owned? 
My assumption is we are going to see the hospitality suite demolished sometime in the near future and a larger building put in its place along the length of the NT. Spiers didn't really press on what was going to happen there but it was mentioned the plans are towards a final phase. 

55 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
1 hour ago, philpy said:
de1651aecd1eb654841771d863256915_400x400.jpeg.ce99a9d3d60eb9adaad6032f24dc6d09.jpeg

A man who devides fans down the middle, loved him back in the day but as the years have went on realised he should have done so much more with the resources available plus I don't think he was that nice a guy, but he gave us those brilliant victory's against killie.

He was a fucking bellend by all accounts. 

Pissed most of the Barr money against the wall. 

Imagine what could have been achieved if we had an actual competent manager in charge.

17 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I also heard numerous stories of him being very rude to fans - even young kids.

He turned up to a daily record event “worse for ware” the daily record described him as being “clearly tired and emotional” which was a well used euphemism like “confirmed bachelor” when they would get sued for saying someone was gay.

forgetting he was mic’d up (or fully aware) told the person sitting next to him that he wasn’t looking forward to answering questions from all those b*****ds. 
He Said on off the ball that he and John Kerr signed all the autograph requests that came in to the club, the 2 of them signed all the players signatures for a laugh. 

1 hour ago, Hawk89 said:

Was it the entire yard (triangle area) that Kirkwood owned? 
My assumption is we are going to see the hospitality suite demolished sometime in the near future and a larger building put in its place along the length of the NT. Spiers didn't really press on what was going to happen there but it was mentioned the plans are towards a final phase. 

The last time I checked when this came up, it was still owned by the rail company and they had submitted a maybe joint with Kirkwood) bid for housing that covered the car park as well. 
The car park is now back in Smiths hands so I am guessing the plan was rejected or it wasn’t worth while. 

I’m sure Barr spoke of a rail halt at Somerset at one point, to get more fans willing to go to the game by train. It could be used on race days as well. Seems costly and unworkable now.

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

He turned up to a daily record event “worse for ware” the daily record described him as being “clearly tired and emotional” which was a well used euphemism like “confirmed bachelor” when they would get sued for saying someone was gay.

forgetting he was mic’d up (or fully aware) told the person sitting next to him that he wasn’t looking forward to answering questions from all those b*****ds. 
He Said on off the ball that he and John Kerr signed all the autograph requests that came in to the club, the 2 of them signed all the players signatures for a laugh. 

Yes, He also spoke to us in club de mar one night when out with his partner in crime Mark Campbell, the exact wording used (if i'm not mistaken) was "I couldn't give a fcuk about Ayr United, I'm only here for the money" before stoating off sniggering to himself as he tried to seek out his next 18 year old victim to try his luck with.

Not a nice person at all.

17 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, He also spoke to us in club de mar one night when out with his partner in crime Mark Campbell, the exact wording used (if i'm not mistaken) was "I couldn't give a fcuk about Ayr United, I'm only here for the money" before stoating off sniggering to himself as he tried to seek out his next 18 year old victim to try his luck with.

Not a nice person at all.

Sounds like a great guy .

Now questioning my signed strip from the 2001/2002 season now

On 13/09/2021 at 11:47, Hawk89 said:

Quite enjoyed that interview, no offence to our inhouse team but you can tell Spiers is a pro in this game. Quite comfortable asking reflective questions about mistakes and lessons learned.

Yes I thought it was a very good interview too - I am going to remain subscribed to his podcast for a while to see if the content is generally good. I thought he asked the questions that most Ayr fans would want to be asked and did so in a way that was neither sycophantic (like B&W TV would have been) nor threatening to the interviewee, which is a difficult balance to strike. He had also clearly done some research so was well prepared.

On the point around Hopkin, I assume that he doesn't want to slate a former employee and it could have been part of their compromise agreement that neither side could publicly criticise the other. Saying that we were "hard to watch" made it pretty clear how he felt about him, as a fan of Ayr Utd.

Smith did come over well - a recurring theme being about building a legacy and things that will remain once the players and managers who are there today or tomorrow are long gone. He also made clear that there had been what he saw as chronic underinvestment latterly in the Cameron years and that we are not ready for promotion yet (as a club) which was surprisingly honest.

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

The last time I checked when this came up, it was still owned by the rail company and they had submitted a maybe joint with Kirkwood) bid for housing that covered the car park as well. 
The car park is now back in Smiths hands so I am guessing the plan was rejected or it wasn’t worth while. 

I’m sure Barr spoke of a rail halt at Somerset at one point, to get more fans willing to go to the game by train. It could be used on race days as well. Seems costly and unworkable now.

https://publicaccess.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=PO8Z15BD0BY00 Link to the planning application

Just listened to David Smith interview with Graham Spiers and I don’t think Yogi Hughes is going to be our new manager sadly. While he recognises that this would be a very popular choice amongst the fan base he also talks about wanting to a manager who buys into the project and will be with the club for years to come. I’m not convinced that will be Hughes. Hope I’m wrong