The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

22 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Except the explanation makes no real sense.   Sure, in his final 2 seasons at the club, Hughes had you at 3rd and 7th, won the Scottish Cup, took you into Europe and won the Manager of the year award.  But apparently the football during much of that period was terrible to watch, so he’s remembered poorly by the Inverness faithful.  Seems like a bit of a disconnect, though definitely not one caused by Inverness fans getting ideas above their station (Sure, it’s nice to win, the Cup, but it all feels a bit hollow when you don’t win it the “Inverness Way”).

The explanation that he was given the biggest ever budget in the clubs history spunked it all on complete dross and then went moaning that the board wouldn’t give him more money?

No idea what you are talking about with the “Inverness way” stuff? His football in the season we finished 7th was awful and to go along with all his moaning and wasting a lot of money it was time for him to go.

I don’t think you will find any Caley fan who isn’t grateful for what he did in the season we won the cup and came third but every Caley fan will quite rightly confirm that he had to go when he did. The fact we made an utter disaster of an appointment to replace him doesn’t mean it was a bad decision for him to leave.

14 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

We were in the play-offs for almost the whole 19/20 season, including when it was halted.

If there were multiple posts expecting a title challenge that season then post them. I remember many of us that summer not expecting much more than a mid table finish.

You’re talking shite mate. Much like when you tried to convince everyone that John Robertson was working wonders on a shoestring budget.

Now that is talking shite.

Can’t wait for it not to be Hughes and for this whole debate to have been a massive waste of time.

Even if it is him he won’t be making an major signings until the summer anyway. He’ll be given scope to make a couple of changes in January but besides that he’ll largely have to work with what he’s got.

14 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

The explanation that he was given the biggest ever budget in the clubs history spunked it all on complete dross and then went moaning that the board wouldn’t give him more money?

No idea what you are talking about with the “Inverness way” stuff? His football in the season we finished 7th was awful and to go along with all his moaning and wasting a lot of money it was time for him to go.

I don’t think you will find any Caley fan who isn’t grateful for what he did in the season we won the cup and came third but every Caley fan will quite rightly confirm that he had to go when he did. The fact we made an utter disaster of an appointment to replace him doesn’t mean it was a bad decision for him to leave.

Not sure when he was given that biggest ever budget, but he finished 3rd and 7th in his last 2 seasons, so he must have got some decisions right.  You’re saying that every Caley fan will confirm he had to go…because he only finished 7th and the football was awful?   I guess that’s where my original comment about getting above yourself came from.  Reminds me of Falkirk giving Peter Houston the boot because he only finished 2nd in the championship 2 seasons running and managed to lose the Scottish Cup final to Inverness.  What a loser.  Had to go really.

12 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Can’t wait for it not to be Hughes and for this whole debate to have been a massive waste of time.

Even if it is him he won’t be making an major signings until the summer anyway. He’ll be given scope to make a couple of changes in January but besides that he’ll largely have to work with what he’s got.

I think he'll be given the task of steadying the ship for the season and maybe Smith will go for someone else in June.

Edit - He seems to be a type of 'fixer' now and I think that suits him.

Edited by TheScarf

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I think he'll be given the task of steadying the ship for the season and maybe Smith will go for someone else in June.

Edit - He seems to be a type of 'fixer' now and I think that suits him.

I reckon Smith will keep him on beyond June if he does well. I also think that the fans might attach to Hughes aswell that might tempt him to stay longer. 

It's Duffy. The owner says it's Duffy. This talk of new managers being quietly sounded out is a Burnley star loan players 2.0. Extricated from the overly-optimistic reading of a couple of sentences and then left to turn into an elaborate fantasy.

Reading that interview with Smith, he doesn't think anything went wrong. Presumably he thinks that the fans just turned on Hopkin of their own volition, and his huge amount of Championship experience (1.5 seasons out of 5 in total) and his bold long-term vision for the club (keep increasing the number defenders on the pitch) would have played off if not for the irrational punters. That doesn't bode well if the club is actually scouting out replacements.

Just now, Thumper said:

It's Duffy. The owner says it's Duffy. This talk of new managers being quietly sounded out is a Burnley star loan players 2.0. Extricated from the overly-optimistic reading of a couple of sentences and then left to turn into an elaborate fantasy.

We'll be begging for mercy soon.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Smith has said they are looking to address the midfield issues as soon as possible, so I'd assume there will be money available. 

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Your squad absolutely screams 9th at best.

That is fair, some of the squad signed I'm sure many fans sighed at. 

Though I did think before a ball was kicked that Dunfermline would be challenging for topspot. It shows how unpredictable this game is in Scotland.

It rebuffs the point on shite Managers.

43 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

That is fair, some of the squad signed I'm sure many fans sighed at. 

Though I did think before a ball was kicked that Dunfermline would be challenging for topspot. It shows how unpredictable this game is in Scotland.

It rebuffs the point on shite Managers.

The McGinty moment. 

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Yet folk on this thread continue to be baffled as to why you can't build on that 4th place and challenge.

I think a reality check is needed.

I think the majority would love to get back to fourth but accept that we're a long long way away from it with this squad. You have seen us play recently I assume?! 😉

From the outside looking in I'd have thought fans of other clubs would have seen us recently as being overly critical too early of Hopkins, it has certainly been mentioned that way. 

A long way from a reality check as far as I can see. 

2 hours ago, Thumper said:

Reading that interview with Smith, he doesn't think anything went wrong. Presumably he thinks that the fans just turned on Hopkin of their own volition, and his huge amount of Championship experience (1.5 seasons out of 5 in total) and his bold long-term vision for the club (keep increasing the number defenders on the pitch) would have played off if not for the irrational punters. That doesn't bode well if the club is actually scouting out replacements.

If we lose easily on Saturday, lose on Tuesday, Duffy will not be the manager. Like when Millen took over from Roberts, it moved quickly from give Millen a chance to get Millen to f**k. 

I'm willing to give Duffy a chance, however, They all came and failed and should all have left as failures. 

Duffy retired from management, he said he wanted to give up that side and concentrate on coaching. Unless he has changed his mind then it won't be Duffy. 

The club needs a massive lift after the last 18 months, promoting a coach to manager, who stood side by side with the worst manager in the clubs history and didn't manage to effect positive change isn't in the category of massive lift. A new manager coming in will have a grace period while his ability becomes apparent.

If we concede a cheap goal first against Dunfermline on Saturday, Duffys grace period will be up with a lot of fans. 

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

A question away from the new manager talk - any idea when the hospitality is likely to open up again? My cousin from London wants to come up for a game and do it in "style". Robbo, any idea when the away team will be allowed back to their traditional changing room?

Probably not all season the way the JRG are talking. It's not a club decision. 2m social distancing still required by the Govt in indoor changing rooms and so, given you can't swing a cat in Ayr's away changing room and can barely get 18 players in it never mind changing and coaches, it's not happening any time soon.

I guess you could get the away team out of the hospitality suite in some more creative way though. Portacabin dressing rooms sited somewhere inside the ground for instance?

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

A question away from the new manager talk - any idea when the hospitality is likely to open up again? My cousin from London wants to come up for a game and do it in "style". Robbo, any idea when the away team will be allowed back to their traditional changing room?

I heard it was planning to be around November