The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

You had to edit you're post to type that?

Every season since 18/19 you've got clearly weaker, big Stevie Wonder could see that.  Yet folk on this thread continue to be baffled as to why you can't build on that 4th place and challenge.

I think a reality check is needed.

I don’t think anyone is baffled, and I don’t think anyone has said anything about building on fourth place on challenging - that would be mental. We have said that we would like to aim for fourth place, as most teams in the league have. There isn’t any reason why most teams in this league can’t do that if they recruit well and have a good manager. 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

I don’t think anyone is baffled, and I don’t think anyone has said anything about building on fourth place on challenging - that would be mental. We have said that we would like to aim for fourth place, as most teams in the league have. There isn’t any reason why most teams in this league can’t do that if they recruit well and have a good manager. 

That's precisely my point.  Ayr haven't done that, you've appointed shite managers and signed shite players and have gotten weaker every year.

Your squad absolutely screams 9th at best.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting Hughes is above criticism, but I merely expressed my puzzlement at the level of fairly inexplicable hostility ICT fans seem to have towards him given the success he delivered on the park.  It’s not like Inverness imploded the following season either, finishing 7th seems like a decent effort.  But my guess is Inverness just didn’t have the budget to maintain that level of achievement with some fans deciding to paint Hughes as some kind of pantomime villain.

But perhaps the true moral of the story is that we should appoint Terry Butcher as manager..🤪

That's precisely my point.  Ayr haven't done that, you've appointed shite managers and signed shite players and have gotten weaker every year.

Right but that’s part of the problem. We’re not confused as to why Hopkin didn’t make us better. We’re confused as to why he got the job in the first place. No one actually expected us to be challenging for the playoffs this season given that 90% of had written off our chances under him before the season started.

19 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Every season since 18/19 you've got clearly weaker, big Stevie Wonder could see that.  Yet folk on this thread continue to be baffled as to why you can't build on that 4th place and challenge.

I edited it to bold your quote where you lost it. You're having a bit of mare here flailing at everyone. Please quote any of our posters who said we should be challenging for the league title as you asserted. 🤣

15 minutes ago, HMIP said:

I don’t think anyone is suggesting Hughes is above criticism, but I merely expressed my puzzlement at the level of fairly inexplicable hostility ICT fans seem to have towards him given the success he delivered on the park.  It’s not like Inverness imploded the following season either, finishing 7th seems like a decent effort.  But my guess is Inverness just didn’t have the budget to maintain that level of achievement with some fans deciding to paint Hughes as some kind of pantomime villain.

But perhaps the true moral of the story is that we should appoint Terry Butcher as manager..🤪

Your guess would be wrong then, as already explained earlier this morning.

A good manager is more likely to get success with a shite team than a shite manager with a good team, I'm not saying there is a squad of world beaters at Somerset but that squad give or take a McGinty or a Salkeld is more than capable of finishing between 5th and 8th in this league

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I edited it to bold your quote where you lost it. You're having a bit of mare here flailing at everyone. Please quote any of our posters who said we should be challenging for the league title as you asserted. 🤣

Search for them yourself.  I'd aim for the summers of 2019 and 2020 for best results.

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Search for them yourself.  I'd aim for the summers of 2019 and 2020 for best results.

Sorry mate but you're tying yourself in knots now. I'll quote it again below.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

There's nothing patronising about it.  You had one good season in 15-20 years where you finished 4th in the 2nd tier and some folk on here are ripping that you aren't challenging for the title every season now.

Who exactly is ripping that we aren't challenging for the title every season now? That's not 2019 or 2020 you are referring to, it's right now.

You could just admit you got it wrong. Or continue to deflect in the time honoured tradition of P&B. I actually agreed with what you wrote up to 2nd tier. Then you fucked it up. 

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Where to fucking start with this.

'Getting a wee bit ahead of themselves and assuming it would always be that way' sums up the vast majority of AU posters on here.  That 18/19 season has skewed your view of the stature of your club something ridiculous.

Of the squad that won the Scottish Cup and finished 3rd, Hughes signed 2 of those players, Greg Tansey (who was re-signed after Butcher originally signed him a few years earlier) and Tarmo Kink.  Hughes achieved what he did with Terry Butcher's team.  That is an undeniable fact.

When that team started to break up in the summer of 2015, the players that left were replaced with utter fucking shite, on big wages and he lead us to a 7th place finish. 

He then left in a huff after demanding an even bigger budget than the once he spunked a year earlier, the biggest budget in our history, which the chairman presumably laughed at given his atrocious record in recruitment.

But yeah, fucking have at him.  Good luck to you.

Know who didn't, Terry Butcher. 

9 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Your guess would be wrong then, as already explained earlier this morning.

Except the explanation makes no real sense.   Sure, in his final 2 seasons at the club, Hughes had you at 3rd and 7th, won the Scottish Cup, took you into Europe and won the Manager of the year award.  But apparently the football during much of that period was terrible to watch, so he’s remembered poorly by the Inverness faithful.  Seems like a bit of a disconnect, though definitely not one caused by Inverness fans getting ideas above their station (Sure, it’s nice to win, the Cup, but it all feels a bit hollow when you don’t win it the “Inverness Way”).

7 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Wow one time in the last 20 years we thought we had a good team and were a club on the up, sorry we're might of got a bit carried away

You had a good team in 18/19, not after that.

9 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Sorry mate but you're tying yourself in knots now. I'll quote it again below.

Who exactly is ripping that we aren't challenging for the title every season now? That's not 2019 or 2020 you are referring to, it's right now.

You could just admit you got it wrong. Or continue to deflect in the time honoured tradition of P&B. I actually agreed with what you wrote up to 2nd tier. Then you fucked it up. 

😂 You're absolutely at it, friend.  I've not fucked anything up.  Ayr fans, foolishly, thought that when they're 18/19 side was ripped apart, they'd still be in the playoffs and challenge for the title. There was multiple posts from your fellow fans stating that.  I and others said otherwise and were shot down.  You've gotten worse and worse every season. You're a club that yo-yos between the 2nd and 3rd tier.

[emoji23] You're absolutely at it, friend.  I've not fucked anything up.  Ayr fans, foolishly, thought that when they're 18/19 side was ripped apart, they'd still be in the playoffs and challenge for the title. There was multiple posts from your fellow fans stating that.  I and others said otherwise and were shot down.  You've gotten worse and worse every season. You're a club that yo-yos between the 2nd and 3rd tier.

We were literally joint top after that season until McCall left and the club made an arse of it.

You’re acting as if it was inevitable we were going to fail after that season. Of course we were never going to replace Shankland with that quality of player but it’s the fact that we’ve fucked up our choice of manager twice in a row that’s set us back.

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

😂 You're absolutely at it, friend.  I've not fucked anything up.  Ayr fans, foolishly, though that when they're 18/19 side was ripped apart, they'd still be in the playoffs and challenge for the title. There was multiple posts from your fellow fans stating that.  I and others said otherwise and were shot down.  You've gotten worse and worse every season. You're a club that yo-yos between the 2nd and 3rd tier.

We were in the play-offs for almost the whole 19/20 season, including when it was halted.

If there were multiple posts expecting a title challenge that season then post them. I remember many of us that summer not expecting much more than a mid table finish.

You’re talking shite mate. Much like when you tried to convince everyone that John Robertson was working wonders on a shoestring budget.

55 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Worse ? yes, weaker? No

Take Shankland out the mix, is signing youth players from Aberdeen and Hearts better or worse than folk playing for premier league clubs regularly? Is signing a left back in the Scotland under 21s  to replace a Scottish under 21 international a weaker option? Same with out right backs. 
is signing a 33 year old Geggan and part time Bell better signing Aaron Muirhead and Joe Chalmers? 

we didn’t weaken the squad other than Shankland, who no club could replace.  Have we got worse, 100% but it’s not because we haven’t invested in players, our own chairman said it was the most expensive squad we have had for years.

Which returns us to your point about Ayr fans expectations which I see you have downgraded from winning the league to 4th place……when you spend more on a squad than the one that finished 4th, you don’t expect to be at the arse end of the league.

you really are trying hard and failing here