The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Given that Derek McInnes was apparently getting closer every day to the Ayr job a couple of weeks ago he must be at Somerset signing his paperwork now eh Diego?

Genuine question though for the Ayr fans. Was Hopkin worse that Mark Roberts as a manager in your opinion?

You could be fucked now for the 2nd derby game if we actually get out shit together!

3 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Just to assuage any Ayrshire fears about players downing tools now Hopkin is gone: I never got the feeling that any players stopped trying after he left Cappielow or after McPherson came in. They remained just as fucking terrible all season long. 

I laughed out loud at this 🤣 cheers pal

7 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I'd take Jack Ross...

In all seriousness though, no idea why they pair were watching us and Raith. It's not like either team had great players to scout 

Would imagine Ross would be watching Bradley and Tait and Holt probably just taking in a game, think he probably stays in or around Glasgow. 

At least we might actually see some semblance of a gameplan or *gasp* a midfield on Saturday!

I would go with 442 and play O'Connor and Maxwell out wide with Murdoch + other in the middle. The squad is so threadbare we are probably looking at Hewitt in the middle as well, I genuinely can't think of another player who could play there?

At least we might actually see some semblance of a gameplan or *gasp* a midfield on Saturday!

I would go with 442 and play O'Connor and Maxwell out wide with Murdoch + other in the middle. The squad is so threadbare we are probably looking at Hewitt in the middle as well, I genuinely can't think of another player who could play there?
McAllister?

21 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Yeah a pal told me he saw him. Also said Gary Holt was there. No idea if Falkirk are playing Raith soon or not 

Holt needs to tick boxes to justify us paying him 40-50k a year as a dof, and him working 12 hour days hard graft. Probably why he was there knocking his pan in. 

Edited by ebobsboy

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Directors of football have a big say in identifying transfer targets, try to instill a continuity and cohesion between boardroom and manager and shape a squad for the longterm. Given he's worked alongside Hopkin and presumably had his chance to influence things why should he be anywhere near what should be seen to be a fresh start? 

It'd be like hiring the vice captain of the titanic for a relaunch of the Waverley. 

Totally different role , he was coaching players to his managers instructions , that’s not to say he agrees with the formation , Hopkin too narrow minded and stubborn to change 

17 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

MICHAEL MOFFAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I'd take Jack Ross...

In all seriousness though, no idea why they pair were watching us and Raith. It's not like either team had great players to scout 

Careful. You’ll have a Kilmarnock or Morton fan along to tell you you are delusional despite saying in your post you weren’t suggesting it

Smith there saying he’s in no rush to find a replacement and trusts Duffy for now.

He’s in a totally different position to last season in fairness. We had to get someone in quickly last season and Smith knows that this time round he needs to take his time and get it right. Sounds likes we’ll maybe have Duffy for a few weeks whilst Smith hears from any interested parties and sounds potential candidates out.

We could really be doing with some sort of statement from the club, outlining what it is they plan to do here. Even if it is just saying that it might take 3-4 weeks to get a replacement and asking for applications. Judging by what Dumbarton fans have said, Duffy might not actually be that interested in the role permanently but might be an option too retain for any manager coming in.

Kevin Thomson? Served his apprenticeship at Rangers and doing great at Kelty in his 1st real management job

Kelty are chucking money at trying to win a very poor league. It’s very hard to judge how good a manager he actually is.

54 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I'd take Jack Ross...

Jack Ross was watching his player who had signed for us the day before 

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Smith there saying he’s in no rush to find a replacement and trusts Duffy for now.

He’s in a totally different position to last season in fairness. We had to get someone in quickly last season and Smith knows that this time round he needs to take his time and get it right. Sounds likes we’ll maybe have Duffy for a few weeks whilst Smith hears from any interested parties and sounds potential candidates out.

We could really be doing with some sort of statement from the club, outlining what it is they plan to do here. Even if it is just saying that it might take 3-4 weeks to get a replacement and asking for applications. Judging by what Dumbarton fans have said, Duffy might not actually be that interested in the role permanently but might be an option too retain for any manager coming in.

Basically sounds like it’s Jim Duffy’s job to lose. Suppose we can’t argue with that if he comes in and gets a few results but I’m really not keen. 

5 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Basically sounds like it’s Jim Duffy’s job to lose. Suppose we can’t argue with that if he comes in and gets a few results but I’m really not keen. 

Talk around the club today is that Duffy is only looking at steadying the team and not contemplating  full time management as he has other jobs outwith coaching at Ayr 

Edited by Finlay21

If he wants it that is. He had a major health scare and seemed to massively lose interest in being the head guy towards the end at Dumbarton. Of course, if he gets us good results he might get that desire back but I’m not convinced he’s anything more than a short term thing.

I hope he does well in whatever he does here. I don’t have the same ill will towards him that I do towards Hopkin… yet.

Surely we don’t want a short term manager to see us through this season , we must be looking at someone who is going to be here for 2/3 seasons ,I know it’s a gamble but not many decent managers would be happy with a 8/9 month contract, we need to take time and get the right  candidate