The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

11 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Given that Derek McInnes was apparently getting closer every day to the Ayr job a couple of weeks ago he must be at Somerset signing his paperwork now eh Diego?

Genuine question though for the Ayr fans. Was Hopkin worse that Mark Roberts as a manager in your opinion?

Yes, watching Hopkin's idea of football caused migraines. 

Although at a lesser level, Mark Roberts had a team that could score a few before getting pummeled. There was much better fan interaction as well, to the point he literally had a fan in the dugout. Though he did rely on his football friends for signings, which was part of his downfall. He quickly ran out of ideas before McCall saved our season.

Hopkin is by far one of the worst managers I have ever seen at Ayr. Neil Watt, Campbell Money, George Burley....they look amazing next to the absolute shower of shite that Hopkin brought to Somerset.

Every team goes through shite Managers at a point. 

19 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Given that Derek McInnes was apparently getting closer every day to the Ayr job a couple of weeks ago he must be at Somerset signing his paperwork now eh Diego?

Genuine question though for the Ayr fans. Was Hopkin worse that Mark Roberts as a manager in your opinion?

angry will ferrell GIF

Think it's safe to say that Hopkin is utterly useless when it comes to recruitment. He needs someone to spoon feed him players that fit his style of pumping it up to a big forward to knock it on to a little one with midfielders running about mad trying to just play the game at 100mph hassling everyone. 

For us, it only worked thanks to Martindale. We had Lee Miller dropping balls down onto the path of Ryan Hardie who'd stuck them away with ease. For the first time I genuinely am sat thinking we got fucking lucky with Hopkin, only due to having Martindale

Mark Roberts at least initially talked a good game, the issue was he abandoned the style quickly as his signings were hopeless. Probably similar to Kerr in that neither replaced themselves well enough meaning they were still good enough to start for us but both wanted to be the manager.

Even though they were friendlies and about 9 years ago the 4-0 over Motherwell and 1-1 draw with a recently relegated Bolton is still more memorable than anything Hopkin managed therefore Hopkin was worse than Roberts for me.

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Statistically speaking Hopkin must be close to our worst ever manager. 

ETA - Certainly based on his league record.

I couldn't find his record online. The worst out with him is Campbell Money at 21% followed closely by Simon Stainrod at 22%

Both of those managers had 70 games each.

I'm just glad this part of the nightmare is over he had lost the fans even though he had failed to convince the majority anyway and if the reports about Muirhead having a go at the bench and O'Connor and Adeloye being frustrated he'd likely lost the dressing room apart from the ex Morton boys, I'll be there Saturday backing the players now there is plenty of time to have a half decent season now.

Burley was post McLeod, no money, got us to the B and Q final, signed Duncan George and Malky Shotton, Full time. 

Stainrod, top 3 worst managers

Daziel, cup final and 3 semi's, could pick a player, 4 derby games in a row. Dick of a man who probably ultimately held us back

Money was post Barr, had to massively cut the budget and play his young players like Conway and Kean, team had to go part time

Mark Shanks, Forgettable, no money

Two Rabs, thought junior players were the answer, top 5 worst managers ever. No money

Neil Watt, Tried, didn't work, fucked off sharpish. No money

Brian Reid, probably the best part time manager we had, no money

Roberts, tried, no money, wasn't suited to being a manager, got 18 months to long in the job. 

McCall, best manager since McLeod, brought the club on leaps and bounds

Kerr, tried, didn't work out for him

Hopkin, had money, signed full time players, played the worst football of any manager, at least we had Ally Graham when Burley went long ball. Worst results and built a team despised by 90% of our fans

13 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Even though they were friendlies and about 9 years ago the 4-0 over Motherwell and 1-1 draw with a recently relegated Bolton is still more memorable than anything Hopkin managed therefore Hopkin was worse than Roberts for me.

The 4-0 was an absolute demolition of a full-strength Europe-bound side in absolutely glorious sunshine. It honestly seemed like a new dawn. Roberts was by and large merely not very good, and a terrible man-manager, but you could easily check the archives of this very board to see whether or not people were staring in complete disbelief at his sheer incompetence before the season already started. (They were not.)

I'd very much like to stop putting the boot in regarding Hopkin tbh. It was a short and very bad period which nevertheless did not materially damage the club that much. Unlikely to buy him a pint in an airport but I'm not going to spent the rest of my life sticking pins in a very oddly-shaped ginger voodoo doll.

Edited by Thumper

12 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Mark Roberts at least initially talked a good game, the issue was he abandoned the style quickly as his signings were hopeless. Probably similar to Kerr in that neither replaced themselves well enough meaning they were still good enough to start for us but both wanted to be the manager.

I remember that well, the meringue looked like a player as well. FWIW I think Roberts relied on Moffats goals and when Moff left his tenure ended soon after.

10 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Burley was post McLeod, no money, got us to the B and Q final, signed Duncan George and Malky Shotton, Full time. 

Stainrod, top 3 worst managers

Daziel, cup final and 3 semi's, could pick a player, 4 derby games in a row. Dick of a man who probably ultimately held us back

Money was post Barr, had to massively cut the budget and play his young players like Conway and Kean, team had to go part time

Mark Shanks, Forgettable, no money

Two Rabs, thought junior players were the answer, top 5 worst managers ever. No money

Neil Watt, Tried, didn't work, fucked off sharpish. No money

Brian Reid, probably the best part time manager we had, no money

Roberts, tried, no money, wasn't suited to being a manager, got 18 months to long in the job. 

McCall, best manager since McLeod, brought the club on leaps and bounds

Kerr, tried, didn't work out for him

Hopkin, had money, signed full time players, played the worst football of any manager, at least we had Ally Graham when Burley went long ball. Worst results and built a team despised by 90% of our fans

IMG_20210909_185112.jpg

IMG_20210909_185051.jpg

36 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Roberts was pretty bad, but I got the impression that he was at least trying his best. Of course his best wasn't good enough, but still. He at least came out and admitted to making mistakes by signing his pals in his first season. It was a shame that Roberts didn't really work out, because I loved him as a player.

Hopkin, I have no idea what the hell he was trying to do. Bore the opposition to death? It was bordering on some sort of elaborate performance art to play as bad a style of football as possible at times. 

I genuinely thought Hopkin would be a good appointment. I know he failed at Morton, but I thought that maybe there was something happening at Morton that we didn't know about. Obviously he was just an absolute diddy who managed to dine out on Livingston getting promoted (which, as it turns out, wasn't down to him).

After Bradford City and Morton, I think Ayr was the last chance for him to build a credible managerial career. He has failed. What club would hire someone who recruits so badly and then fucks off early in the season?

I don't particularly rate him but Neil McCann is probably your best Scottish bet.

Breeds confidence in his squad and fanbase, seems to be learning tactically, and is experienced but not worn out. Hard to say if the squad you've got is a great fit for him, mind you.