The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

11 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
29 minutes ago, HMIP said:
James McFadden isn’t a bad shout actually.  Sounds halfway intelligent on the telly and seems to be interested in a move into coaching.  

Part of me loves this idea my favourite Scotland player of the last 20 years the other part thinks is far to big a risk.

Yep, but John Hughes comes with a raft of reservations.   If Peter Murphy had shown any potential at all at Annan, I’d appoint him tomorrow, but he just hasn’t.  Beyond that, we’re back to the same pish we looked at 7 months ago.

Not in the John Hughes camp , he is good for a short term appointment to get team gelled , leave that to Duffy for a couple of weeks to allow us to get the right  person in , I would go with someone like Duffy doing Director of Football alongside an up and coming manager ( the usual names are out of jobs currently for a reason and regurgitate the same stuff ) someone like Young at East Fife 

3 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Not in the John Hughes camp , he is good for a short term appointment to get team gelled , leave that to Duffy for a couple of weeks to allow us to get the right  person in , I would go with someone like Duffy doing Director of Football alongside an up and coming manager ( the usual names are out of jobs currently for a reason and regurgitate the same stuff ) someone like Young at East Fife 

Not a big fan of Young, finished 6th in league 1 last year and currently sitting second bottom. We could do worse however he would be no where near the top of my list. 

10 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Not a big fan of Young, finished 6th in league 1 last year and currently sitting second bottom. We could do worse however he would be no where near the top of my list. 

I would prefer someone outwith the normal McBookie shitfest, Got to be someone who can build and gel a team for the longer term plans of the club 

Given that Derek McInnes was apparently getting closer every day to the Ayr job a couple of weeks ago he must be at Somerset signing his paperwork now eh Diego?

Genuine question though for the Ayr fans. Was Hopkin worse that Mark Roberts as a manager in your opinion?

We need a big personality to give us a lift. McCall came in, did a fans q&a and put everyone at ease. Said what was wrong with the squad and what he was going to do to fix it. He didn't turn things around and give us a new manager bounce but earned a bit of credit by the way he conducted himself. 

Kerr did the same but never came across as being particularly confident. 

Hopkin put walls up and never said anything other than football clichés. Never gave us any indication of why he was doing what he was trying to do or convince us it would work. 

We need someone that can calm fans down and give the feeling like they know what they are doing and they actually care about the team on the park. 

My list in order would be

Hughes

McCann

Murphy

Unless we can get McCall to do the double dirty and leave Thistle. 

Duffy being at the club in theory should help a wildcard appointment, maybe someone from English/Irish football or a younger manager, perhaps from a part time team. But he didn't fucking help with Hopkin. 

2 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Given that Derek McInnes was apparently getting closer every day to the Ayr job a couple of weeks ago he must be at Somerset signing his paperwork now eh Diego?

Genuine question though for the Ayr fans. Was Hopkin worse that Mark Roberts as a manager in your opinion?

You are as thick as pigshit

and yes, Hopkin is the worst by far

He’s not worse than Roberts purely for the fact that at the end of his tenure we were getting pumped by Stenhousemuir in front of about 500 home fans. Hopkin is without a doubt the worst manager we’ve had whilst playing at this level.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’s not worse than Roberts purely for the fact that at the end of his tenure we were getting pumped by Stenhousemuir in front of about 500 home fans. Hopkin is without a doubt the worst manager we’ve had whilst playing at this level.

It took Roberts 3 years to get there, I bet Hopkin could have managed in 1

Hopkin is the worst manager in our history.

5 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Yes without a doubt 

24 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Yep, but John Hughes comes with a raft of reservations.   If Peter Murphy had shown any potential at all at Annan, I’d appoint him tomorrow, but he just hasn’t.  Beyond that, we’re back to the same pish we looked at 7 months ago.

As a matter of interest, what sort of "potential" are you expecting from Peter Murphy? I've no idea what he does for a day job or if he has any real interest in going full time, but I'm not sure he could have realistically achieved an awful lot more at Annan working on the sort of budget he has. It's early days this season but he currently has them 2nd to the much higher spending Kelty Hearts and above several other clubs working on at least twice the budget. They struggled last season but ultimately came away in the end to finish comfortably safe in a League that was always being won by Queen's Park. Midtable too in the incomplete 19/20 season. Playoffs in 18/19 and controversially beaten by an again much higher spending Clyde side in the final. He loses his better players most seasons but continues to have them performing above budget. He certainly does tend to benefit from player releases by Carlisle United and ourselves but that's true of many smaller clubs located close to bigger ones. It's not unique to Annan Athletic. I believe Annan rate him pretty highly. He's under contract though so would presumably require some compensation to recruit.

8 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I fully believe Hopkin would have shown himself as worse than Roberts if given the time. 

7 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Impossible to tell really as Roberts 3 season were all in league 1. IIRC 1st season we finished mid table. We looked terrible for the vast majority before a slight upturn in results seen us survive without much of a scare. 2nd season we finished in the promotion playoffs before losing pathetically to Cowdenbeath. 3rd season we looked up shit creek and we’re playing in front of 600 fans before Roberts got the bullet and McCall came in. I don’t feel like Lachlan backed Roberts as much financially as he did with McCall and Kerr and like Smith has done with Hopkin.