The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The fact he’s resigned makes me feel that Smith “reluctantly” let him go and doesn’t know what to do.

Club need to get their finger out and say something.

The Record piece makes it sound like Smith wanted him to stay and that it's come as a complete shock !!

Which of course to us would be a "complete shock" in itself !!!

1 minute ago, Jeff Venom said:

I'm pleased he's walked and that it's happened before things get more poisonous than they were on Tuesday.

He seems a good guy who just can't dine out anymore on the Livi success.

This is pretty much my view. Yes he’s not a great manager and we wanted him out, but you don’t want to get back to the days of Roberts with the abuse hurled. Tuesday would have just been the beginning, especially if we went behind early again on Saturday and that wouldn’t be good for anyone connected to the club. I can accept Duffy etc taking the team for the weeks ahead, but Smith needs to get looking straight away and get someone in who knows what they’re doing.

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The Record piece makes it sound like Smith wanted him to stay and that it's come as a complete shock !!

Which of course to us would be a "complete shock" in itself !!!

Going by rumours coming out yesterday , I think he went before the inevitable happened , 4 jobs 4 resignations looks like he did not want to see a dismissal on his CV 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The fact there isn’t even a bit in that statement about looking for a replacement fills me with dread.

Got to give them time to get statements ready , board will be meeting Saturday and likely more will come out after then, 

2 minutes ago, third lanark said:

If he’s resigned and had a year left in his contract then Ayr will have won a watch as he won’t be entitled to compo by tendering a resignation 

You’d think so but in football even when guys quit sometimes they still get a pay off, crazy as that may seem

I was going to say, credit to the guy for stepping down but it looks like he’s walked while being heavily pushed.

Kerr tried to do a good job and failed, everyone could see the effort he put in and he went with best wishes. 

I can not see any of they with Hopkin, stubborn and completely unaware, no improvement from day one. No engagement with fans and his biggest failing of all - after 18 months of not being at football, within 2 games he made me hate going to Somerset.

If any club in full time football hires this man again then they have not been paying attention. 

if I was Smith, I’d phone John Hughes and Neil McCann today and sound them out. If neither want it or we can’t afford them, then advertise it. 

If it makes you lot feel any better, I don't think Duffy has a particular appetite for returning to management. I certainly got that feeling when I spoke to him after he left us. 

He loves coaching. He loves working with young players. But I'm just not sure he's actually all that into being an outright manager - let alone having to deal with the flaming wreck of a squad Hopkin has left behind him.

Then again, Ayr would be a great opportunity for him at a bigger club than the one he left last season. So it might tempt him.