The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

On 28/07/2021 at 11:46, virginton said:

You can quite clearly have too much depth if Hopkin spunks all his budget in one position and neglects the rest of his squad. Which is why his Morton squad last season had about 11 midfielders and no backup goalkeeper or centre forward worthy of the name. 

On 28/07/2021 at 11:57, D'Jaffo said:

That isn’t an issue with us… yet. We of course need to bring players in up top but there’s no evidence of Hopkin stockpiling in any one position.

On 28/07/2021 at 13:20, D'Jaffo said:

Given we play with 3 centre backs at any one time and 2 wingbacks it’s actually normal to have more defenders than any other positions. Also given that some of those defenders I.e Reading, Maxwell, Muirhead, McAllister will play elsewhere when needed and there’s no real issue here.

Thanks for playing though.

Now playing a team of defenders because your dung manager can't assemble a squad properly: gutted for you. 

14 hours ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Does he just play hoof ball too? I can’t remember from when he was with you guys. 

just wondering  if he has more tactical nous than hopkin? 

Duffy's Dumbarton played the worst football I have ever seen from a Sons side. And I have seen us finish at the wrong end of the Third Division.

Based on this thread, the highlights from the other night and your squad, I'd fancy him to improve on Hopkin's style mind you.

25 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Duffy's Dumbarton played the worst football I have ever seen from a Sons side. And I have seen us finish at the wrong end of the Third Division.

Based on this thread, the highlights from the other night and your squad, I'd fancy him to improve on Hopkin's style mind you.

Gary Caldwell with Gary Locke and Lee McCulloch as assistants would improve us currently 

It's pointless discussing potential Managers as every single one will have flaws, whether it be numerous past failures, poor style of play,  questionable recruitment, a dodgy tweet 6 years ago, rumours of wrongdoing from supporters of former clubs or just pure inexperience or lack of personality in interviews.

As I've said before, we really need a reality check as financially we're not going to attract anyone without flaws unless we go totally leftfield and try and bring in someone from abroad who then would have issues of not knowing the market that he would most likely need to be shopping.

The only other option is to attempt to target a young and ambitious coach from one of our Premier league sides / Championship level England and hope that they see Ayr as a potential stepping stone to bigger and better things where we would also profit on the "journey" as it were.

Failing all that, we could just go to Jamshedpur and beg Sandy to come home........

57 minutes ago, virginton said:

I seem to recall Ayr fans being warned that this would happen not too long ago. 

It's been more or less exactly what we were warned. It's all so predictable, how Smith hasn't seen this coming when he gave him the gig is beyond me.

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's pointless discussing potential Managers as every single one will have flaws, whether it be numerous past failures, poor style of play,  questionable recruitment, a dodgy tweet 6 years ago, rumours of wrongdoing from supporters of former clubs or just pure inexperience or lack of personality in interviews.

As I've said before, we really need a reality check as financially we're not going to attract anyone without flaws unless we go totally leftfield and try and bring in someone from abroad who then would have issues of not knowing the market that he would most likely need to be shopping.

The only other option is to attempt to target a young and ambitious coach from one of our Premier league sides / Championship level England and hope that they see Ayr as a potential stepping stone to bigger and better things where we would also profit on the "journey" as it were.

Failing all that, we could just go to Jamshedpur and beg Sandy to come home........

We all know that every manager has their flaws, but you can live with them if the product on the park is alright and the direction of travel is stable at minimum. I don't think anyone is under the illusion that we would bring in a manager who has zero flaws and will only take us forwards. Most fans at this level expect bumps in the road, bad days at the office, the odd poor signing. What we currently have is a squad of haddies, brought in by a guy clearly trying to drive a wedge between club and fans, and every game is a bad one. All of this has been very little surprise. 

Thinking of our recent managers from Reid onwards, this is the first time we've had a manager who is not only getting things wrong in all areas but actively antagonising the fanbase and clearly has lost a section of the dressing room. Roberts may have been a lame duck but he atleast tried to play football and looked like he cared, of course he was hopelessly out of his depth but there was still something forgivable about it as it became more about Lachlan being too loyal. McCall absolutely reset the ambition of the club by not only bringing us back to this division but keeping us here. He obviously had bumps along the way but you could feel he had some sort of plan and surrounded himself with a backroom team that papered over some of his deficiencies. 

9 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

It's been more or less exactly what we were warned. It's all so predictable, how Smith hasn't seen this coming when he gave him the gig is beyond me.

Hopkin, like many of his predecessors, will have talked a good game at interview. Hopefully Smith does a bit more research on his applicants this time.