The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

But he was succeeding McCall which was always going to be a tough act to follow. With Hopkin, not so much. Especially with how Hoppy is regarded atm by most fans.

True

You or I would be seen as an upgrade right now.

36 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’ve no idea what kind of budget he’s working with at Annan but I’d imagine the height of their ambitions are to stay in that league. He’s been there since 2017 and I think he’s had them in the play offs twice and they’re currently sitting 2nd just now. Every season they’ve done well they’ve lost their best players in the summer. Blair Henderson at Edinburgh, Aidan Smith went to Peterhead and then came back, Chris Johnston was another.

I don’t think he’s the ideal choice right now but if we appointed someone short term until the summer and we stayed up then I’d be all for him coming in from the start of next season.

Think his lack of time playing in Scotland and Annan's location shows in his signings as most seasons it's either youngsters released from QoS or Carlisle. Not really the market we want to shop in.

He was also only here when we were PT and I'm sure car shared with Greg Fleming so doubt he'd be willing to uproot his family from Carlisle to take the job.

Although if we lose on Saturday and Smith makes his twitter private then obviously Hopkin is here to stay.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Kerrs appointment wasn’t exactly met with a good reaction.

Kerr wasn't "brought in". He was on the books already and as usual the cheapest option available.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

John Hughes is obviously another name that would get a lot of the fans back on side but I really wouldn’t be keen on keeping him on past the summer.

The fucking audacity.

9 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Kerrs appointment wasn’t exactly met with a good reaction.

Appointing someone like Murphy who, like Kerr, has history with the fans but also has the added bonus of having done reasonably well at a lower level might be okay.

John Hughes is obviously another name that would get a lot of the fans back on side but I really wouldn’t be keen on keeping him on past the summer.

Hughes would be fine if he had someone in a DoF role overseeing the recruitment, I reckon anyway. Who would take the DoF role, I don't know. But, with potentially paying off 4 members of staff it is probably a luxury we couldn't afford. 

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

One thing is for certain, there is absolutely no way that Hughes recruitment will be worse than Hopkin’s. 

It won't be any better either.

13 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

One thing is for certain, there is absolutely no way that Hughes recruitment will be worse than Hopkin’s. 

The only certain thing is if ye get rid of Hopkin and his staff you wont be able to afford any new players anyway so recruitment won't matter. Just need to find the manager who can turn Sean McGinty into the player he thinks he is. 

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m going to suggest it will at least be slightly better, and he won’t turn out a starting side including eight defenders. 

Im not sure if you are aware just how bad Hopkin’s is. 

Or you Hughes'.

Just now, No_Problemo said:

Hopkin has won one league game in thirteen... not a single one at home. You aren’t beating that! 

That's a different argument.  I'm talking solely recruitment.  Hughes is probably a better manager than Hopkin, but no owner on the planet should trust him to sign anyone.  

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

That's a different argument.  I'm talking solely recruitment.  Hughes is probably a better manager than Hopkin, but no owner on the planet should trust him to sign anyone.  

Fair point - however, if he signs shite and we manage mid table then it’s not quite as bad. I still can’t see him thinking a signing policy of putting defenders all over the park is a good idea though. 

20 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Fair point - however, if he signs shite and we manage mid table then it’s not quite as bad. I still can’t see him thinking a signing policy of putting defenders all over the park is a good idea though. 

He will have a signing policy that could have you name a starting 11 full of centre midfielders.

56 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

He will have a signing policy that could have you name a starting 11 full of centre midfielders.

Great news, we don't have any at present. Between the two of them we could potentially have a balanced squad come close of the January window.