The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

19 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Crazy that we're about 9 months into the management of Hopkin, and the majority of people online still call him Hopkins 

David Hopkin 

Hopkin's Ayr United 

Hopkin's Hoofball 

Hopkin's unbearable Tactics and...

Hopkin's Arse handed to him as he walk out the door, bye bye.

Given that smith lost patience with Kerr and his backroom team pretty quickly, then I see no reason why he would persevere with Hopkin through any sort of pig headedness etc ?

He's a supporter like us and must surely understand that it's about much more than results.

As I posted earlier, with Kerr there was always a feeling that he could / might get us out the situation but with Hopkin that type of hope just isn't there, our brand of football is terrible, there's little to no excitement for the fans and he doesn't even have the former player type of goodwill that Kerr enjoyed.

With Kerr, you could also see what he was trying to do and he signed promising (on paper) players, however as we've covered on numerous occasions there's just no rhyme or reason to Hopkin's tactics, signings or style, as such surely Smith must see that we're screwed, especially if the former happy clappers such as myself are so bloody scunnered with it all.......

6 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Let’s not be kidded that Kerrball was the answer - we were falling like a stone and the rot had to be stopped.

Hoppyball clearly isn’t the answer either.

Who next though?

Really think someone like young from east fife, yogi or Petrie from Montrose (if he would sign for a full time club) would be my personal choice

Edited by ryanayr1987

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

As in, they have some dafty throwing money at it?

It's a strange one. Cove especially, as you can see them signing old Ross County, Aberdeen and Inverness players for handiness, to keep them situated in the Highlands, which isn't a bad idea. Surely Not completely Mental money.

For Ayr, it's O'Connor I feel for the most, who has literally shifted country to play for us and is left on the bench. 

13 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

It's a strange one. Cove especially, as you can see them signing old Ross County, Aberdeen and Inverness players for handiness, to keep them situated in the Highlands, which isn't a bad idea. Surely Not completely Mental money.

For Ayr, it's O'Connor I feel for the most, who has literally shifted country to play for us and is left on the bench. 

The Cove Directors and Team were all staying in our Chester Hotel when we were down playing Wrexham last year and we had a few beers with them in the bar, it appeared that many of them were actually Aberdeen fans and former backers / sponsors who were now putting a bit of their cash into Cove. If that was right then it seems a pretty decent business model as opposed to a plaything of one bloke looking for a year or two of thrills and publicity. They seemed a good bunch anyway although we were already blotto by that point as you may imagine.

Must admit, we all thoroughly enjoyed our "European" match, despite being punted out !!

19 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Yeah, him coming off the bench was one of the very few positives from the derby defeat. He looked like he could create something, and he's hardly been used since.

We have a team who are looking very short in creativity. O'Connor should be playing.

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The Cove Directors and Team were all staying in our Chester Hotel when we were down playing Wrexham last year and we had a few beers with them in the bar, it appeared that many of them were actually Aberdeen fans and former backers / sponsors who were now putting a bit of their cash into Cove. If that was right then it seems a pretty decent business model as opposed to a plaything of one bloke looking for a year or two of thrills and publicity. They seemed a good bunch anyway although we were already blotto by that point as you may imagine.

Must admit, we all thoroughly enjoyed our "European" match, despite being punted out !!

Cove's main sponsor is a guy who was a director at Aberdeen and he had a big fall out with Stewart Milne and started ploughing money into Cove instead.  Hence where they are now.

29 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

As in, they have some dafty throwing money at it?

Inverness and Ross county were hardly massive clubs when they joined the league and they both have been in and around the top 2 leagues for well over 10 years. 

Clubs like Airdrie, Stirling Albion and Clyde have gone the other way. Just because someone is backing them doesn't mean they aren't here for the long term. 

None are doing a Gretna and signing premier division talent to get them through the leagues, much the same as Inverness and Ross County didn't. 

28 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Let’s not be kidded that Kerrball was the answer - we were falling like a stone and the rot had to be stopped.

Hoppyball clearly isn’t the answer either.

Who next though?

Falling like a stone = 5th in the league 2 weeks before we fired him.  Indeed, up until that last fortnight, we’d been top half of the league for the vast majority of the season.  If that dumpling Zanatta hadn’t missed an absolute sitter in the first half against Arbroath, he’d probably still be manager right now.  Which isn’t to say Kerr didn’t make mistakes..  But I do think the unfolding horror of Hopkin is leading us to exaggerate how bad things were under Kerr in order to justify the direction of the club over the last 6 months.

Still thinking about that "Hoppy" interview. How incredibly stupid is it to blame the fans, especially with another home game in a few days. How does he possibly think that's going to play out. There's a massive disconnect atm between the fans and the manager/team due to the past year, that's why it's so easy for both sides to sling shit atm.

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Inverness and Ross county were hardly massive clubs when they joined the league and they both have been in and around the top 2 leagues for well over 10 years. 

Clubs like Airdrie, Stirling Albion and Clyde have gone the other way. Just because someone is backing them doesn't mean they aren't here for the long term. 

None are doing a Gretna and signing premier division talent to get them through the leagues, much the same as Inverness and Ross County didn't. 

Kelty are signing Championship level players for the league 2 levels below.  Kind of what Gretna did, except I don't believe Kelty's chairman lives exclusively off fags and Irn Bru, so they should be alright.

1 minute ago, HMIP said:

Falling like a stone = 5th in the league 2 weeks before we fired him.  Indeed, up until that last fortnight, we’d been top half of the league for the vast majority of the season.  If that dumpling Zanatta hadn’t missed an absolute sitter in the first half against Arbroath, he’d probably still be manager right now.  Which isn’t to say Kerr didn’t make mistakes..  But I do think the unfolding horror of Hopkin is leading us to exaggerate how bad things were under Kerr in order to justify the direction of the club over the last 6 months.

If he'd signed a couple of forwards, or utilised better the ones he had then let go, then he'd prob have kept his job till at least the end of the season. ~Scoring goals can cover up a lot of deficiencies

11 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Cove's main sponsor is a guy who was a director at Aberdeen and he had a big fall out with Stewart Milne and started ploughing money into Cove instead.  Hence where they are now.

Yes, I think he was one of the guys we were talking to. They all seemed like a decent bunch though and obviously right behind the project which is the main thing.

I don't think we can afford to dump Hopkin due to the 2 year contract he is on. I hope I'm wrong. That performance last night was awful. I do not blame the players (apart from Afolabi), Aero lost the plot and was screaming at the bench as he went off. The issue lies with Hopkin. Can we afford to buy out his contract? Change is needed very very soon.