The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

I would imagine this would be done as a precaution regardless. I very much doubt anyone would know who Hopkin’s family are. 

Still not a very pleasant thing for family to have to witness firsthand, however for managers and players, that's part and parcel of being associated with football for your wider family members unfortunately...

Would be ten times worse if god forbid a supporter stumbled across a family member on social media, which has happened before

2 hours ago, Hawk89 said:

Who realistically would hire him now? Or has he got interests outside of football that can keep him going?

He's a fifty-year-old ex-pro with seven caps who spent the majority of his career yo-yoing around the English top flight. He could have stuck his wages in Premier Bonds and still be worth more than we'll ever see.

Anyway, at least this comprehensively proves that much like all of Livingston Football Club's actions, hiring him was purely a legal/tax dodge (until Martindale, the actual manager, could pass a fit and proper test). That three different professional football clubs saw fit to hire him after this shows that literally nobody in football ownership has a clue what they're doing.

Given how highly the ex Morton players spoke of Hopkin when they signed hopefully we aren't heading for a Neil Watt situation when the Stranraer boys chucked it after he left. Otherwise it would be a long road ahead as I'm not sure much will be available in January.

Difference in this case is a few of them are still young enough to make a move up so after a few weeks will hopefully forget all about Hopkin and maybe even remember how to control a football.

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

I know we're extremely shite just now so in no way am i trying to give out excuses here to anyone associated to the club.

But since McCall left the supporters have had extremely high expectations with us winning leagues, fighting for promotion, playing silky football, scoring 100+ goals a season which in reality was a pretty surreal couple of years which we were never likely to keep up over a prolonged period of time. 

I think a lot of that stems back to supporters anger just now with Hopkin since we're comparing ourselves to under McCall which when you look back, was a bit of a miracle he managed to get all those high calibre of players in the same team over the same couple of years. 

In saying that there's no defending the situation we're in just now, just that we've gone for a manager with the polar opposite philosophy to McCall, which Smith said at the time of recruiting Hopkin something along the lines of "sometimes you need to play football a slightly different way to get better results". That was clearly him saying f**k nice football if hoofball wins us more games, which i get the feeling is some tripe Hopkin regurgitated to him in the interview process which Smith was foolish enough to fall for. 

McCall took us to a higher position than any manager since Daziel bought us there. He did it with a part time team then a hybrid, then a full time team. At no point did we have a huge squad or a massive budget. 

That was a game changer, as McCall said, we aren't plucky wee Ayr any more. 

We did it without breaking the bank or with massive crowds and proved to a lot of people that we could compete with top end championship, lower end premier teams. It proved that peoples expectations were realistic. 

It annoys me when people say, we should accept being a yoyo team or we don't have a divine right to go to the premier, like we should accept being shite. Putting up with this slide will see us going down quicker than @Sortmeout's mum and who knows when it'll end 

I’m just worried that Smith will pull a Hugh Scott/Douglas Rae on us and lose interest in the club.  That bonkers statement after the Arbroath humping last season seemed to indicate he is a bit thin skinned and probably spends too much time reading the pish we post on social media like P & B.  A shite manager can be replaced, but an absentee owner is a way bigger problem.  

11 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Given how highly the ex Morton players spoke of Hopkin when they signed hopefully we aren't heading for a Neil Watt situation when the Stranraer boys chucked it after he left. Otherwise it would be a long road ahead as I'm not sure much will be available in January.

Would we notice a difference?

1 minute ago, HMIP said:

I’m just worried that Smith will pull a Hugh Scott/Douglas Rae on us and lose interest in the club.  That bonkers statement after the Arbroath humping last season seemed to indicate he is a bit thin skinned and probably spends too much time reading the pish we post on social media like P & B.  A shite manager can be replaced, but an absentee owner is a way bigger problem.  

He's more physically invested than the Camerons were. The true worry is whether he's interested in the property he owns more than the shite currently fertilising it.

14 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Difference in this case is a few of them are still young enough to make a move up so after a few weeks will hopefully forget all about Hopkin and maybe even remember how to control a football.

Couldn’t care less, every one of them bar McAdams are on a scale of poor to horrific. 

1 minute ago, Thumper said:

He's more physically invested than the Camerons were. The true worry is whether he's interested in the property he owns more than the shite currently fertilising it.

Not sure what you mean?  The Cameron’s put a fortune into the club in the form of soft loans (1m+) and as I understand it wrote that off when the club was sold to Smith.  I do think the hub will be pretty good when it’s up and running,  but in the end, any Ayr chairman needs to be willing to back the club from their own pocket.  If Smith throws his toys out the pram, we could be in real bother.  

I think people are also missing under McCall that we made a step change with going full time. That has to play a part in fans expectations. This often gets overlooked but the club has poured more money into the playing squad. That's why we stopped yoyoing being L1 and the Championship imo. That coupled with McCall actually being a capable manager and a good fit for the club.

The DKBs are starting to get on my nerves.

It's quite clear they are obsessed. They lost to ICT and not a single Ayr poster was on their club thread or match thread. We lose a game and there's a few of their brain donors on here trolling. 

7 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Not sure what you mean?  The Cameron’s put a fortune into the club in the form of soft loans (1m+) and as I understand it wrote that off when the club was sold to Smith.

Physically invested. As in caring about the literal bricks and mortar, rather than (as Lachlan did) caring pretty much entirely about the goodwill.

Lachlan was not at all concerned about what the ground under the club could potentially be if not a football ground. This is one key advantage of the owner being a mad b*****d and not a local property developer.