The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The season in which McCall left. I though he was absolutely brilliant until Kerr came in and dropped him for Moore.

Yup, his link up with Forrest, McCowan and Kelly was outstanding. From what I remember, he played as the focal point and everything linked through him for the three of them. 

Yup, his link up with Forrest, McCowan and Kelly was outstanding. From what I remember, he played as the focal point and everything linked through him for the three of them. 

Aye he was basically a false 9 striker early on in that season and defenders couldn’t get near him because of his movement.

Then Moore got back to fitness and Kerr dropped him.

Moffat takes defenders for a walk and that in theory should create space for supporting players

Last season we played with 3 players of a similar style and it never really clicked. we also spent a decent portion punting long balls at his head.

Moffats game isn’t about getting 10-15 goals a season any more, it is about link up play. If he played with Adeloye, we need a third who is more direct like Moore. Maybe O’Conner is the third but he’s been largely invisible either down to his ability or our style of play. You need a ball to Moffats feet, him to take it somewhere and play in a wide player, or another forward, then find space again.

this all requires patience and a fluid build up, not getting rid of the ball immediately as hard as you can hit it. 

like a lot of players at Ayr, they could do a job but just not in the way we play

14 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Is it just me that would play Moffat in the middle of the park?

I think he would be perfect playing the Mark Kerr role that we so badly miss.

He is composed, can slip a simple but effective pass and doesn’t need to run all over the shop!

He would be brilliant for finding passes in the middle, the player we desperately need when we actually play ball to feet. However, I don't think he'd be much use with balls flying over his head constantly. I think Hopkin would rather take out any idea of an Ayr midfield. 

If Moff goes and we get relegated due to this abysmal punt up the park piss football , then we should put Hopkins head on a spike on Hawkhill avenue, as a sign to future managers not to be as pish. Don't see him here for Christmas.

13 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Is it just me that would play Moffat in the middle of the park?

I think he would be perfect playing the Mark Kerr role that we so badly miss.

He is composed, can slip a simple but effective pass and doesn’t need to run all over the shop!

As said though, we'd need to change our style back to the footballing passing game with Maxwell, Moffat, O'Connor, Adeloye playing in Kelly / Doc, Forrest, McCowan, old Moffat type roles with a destroyer type in middle beside them (Muirhead ?).

I know one thing, I'd like to try it as opposed to our current style !!

3 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Is this Moffat rumour got any truth to it, or are we losing the plot over nothing?  To be fair, if doesn’t seem that outrageous that he would want to move somewhere where he’ll get regular game time.

Don't know if it's even a rumour, is it not just someone on here saying it ?

3 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Is this Moffat rumour got any truth to it, or are we losing the plot over nothing?  To be fair, if doesn’t seem that outrageous that he would want to move somewhere where he’ll get regular game time.

Think it is 2+2 equaling speculation 

Hes not played this season

Hopkin seems determined to flush out any McCall/Kerr players

He had a habit of doing things that go against what supporters expect/want

he may not be fully fit but he was on the bench for the Kilmarnock game and then out the team again.
No one knows which is part of the problem with communication even back to the McCall days where the pre-match team news is all players fit and post match such and such is out for 4 months 

Ideal situation would be Dembele from Celtic. I don’t see any youth player good enough to make the kind of impact we need being loaned out to the championship. 
Celtic haven’t loaned him out before and I would think it would be more likely to be to a Premier team if they did.

I am guessing it will be an older player not getting a game. Maybe Livingston or Motherwell type. 

33 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

VOR confirming it’s more of a wide forward rather than an out and out striker that we’re after. Might be tomorrow before he signs though.

Ken ma stuff