The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 hours ago, HMIP said:

Nonsense.  Most academies are full of boys who have as much chance of playing professional football as I do.  If a player has been promoted out the academy then that’s a reasonable indication of their potential, and quality and are therefore players the SPFL might regard as viable first team players, even if they have never actually kicked a ball for the first team.  But the idea you can just chuck in random youngsters is just downright irresponsible.  Yes, injuries happen, but if one happens because a kid goes into a 50/50 with a seasoned professional and comes out the other end in an ambulance, then I’d like to thing most sensible folk would say that’s not how professional football clubs should operate.

Aye, nonsense is about right… nobody’s imagining that you need to howk your whole academy into the first-team, regardless of development; but if there aren’t two or three teenagers in your academy who are capable of playing against the big boys on a one-off occasion, you have to ask yourself what exactly your academy is for.

The fact is that it happens all the time, has done for decades.

As I said, hanging your request for a postponement on the ‘one of the boys might get hurt’ hook is a guarantee you’ll be told to bolt. There are much stronger arguments, both in terms of public health and sporting integrity.

11 minutes ago, Fitbafollower said:

Heard from good source Thistle have tried to sign Aaro 

is his contact up at end of season?

club knocked back their approach I believe

will we extend him or let him sign pre contract in January or stay?

He’s replaceable and in his 30s, possibly key to us this season because we have lacked what he gives us but I wouldn’t be concerned if he left at the end of the season

if he left now we’d be fucked even more

12 minutes ago, Fitbafollower said:

Find out on Sunday, on Channel 4

17 minutes ago, Fitbafollower said:

He lives in Uplawmoor, which ain’t bad for a wee tootle down to Ayr… but a lot easier to the glamorous West End. And he loves the wee jobby.

Watch this happen.

15 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

He’s replaceable and in his 30s, possibly key to us this season because we have lacked what he gives us but I wouldn’t be concerned if he left at the end of the season

He's only 30. If Aero wasn't in the team last season we'd have been relegated. He's the sort of character you want in the squad. He's definitely on my keep list (one of the few tbf).

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Aye, nonsense is about right… nobody’s imagining that you need to howk your whole academy into the first-team, regardless of development; but if there aren’t two or three teenagers in your academy who are capable of playing against the big boys on a one-off occasion, you have to ask yourself what exactly your academy is for.

The fact is that it happens all the time, has done for decades.

As I said, hanging your request for a postponement on the ‘one of the boys might get hurt’ hook is a guarantee you’ll be told to bolt. There are much stronger arguments, both in terms of public health and sporting integrity.

Suggest you read the post by Skyline Drifter as to the criteria by which a team must play.   Clearly addresses the issue of teams potentially having to throw in kids who aren’t ready.  Looks like it was drafted by folk with a bit more common sense than you.

30 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Our recent experience with centre backs suggests he might not be as easily replaceable as you think. 

2 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Our recent experience with centre backs suggests he might not be as easily replaceable as you think. 

Aye, but all his replacement has to do to keep the management staff happy is f**k the ball into the North Sea (or Whitletts) like Happy Gilmore every time it comes near him. Pick up one of the big lads from Ayr RFC.

If Hopkin let's Muirhead go he's as much of an idiot as had been made out to be fair enough he can have his moments St Johnstone in the cup and Morton away last season examples but he's easily been our best player for the last 18 months and if he was not there last season I think we would have went down

Muirhead is a must keep, offers commitment as well as versatility. He should be nothing more than a stop gap in central midfield though - does a job but we need more in there. 

In all seriousness, the lack of chat around signing news is terrifying. If we don’t recruit a competent central midfielder and striker then we are going down. 

29 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

He's only 30. If Aero wasn't in the team last season we'd have been relegated. He's the sort of character you want in the squad. He's definitely on my keep list (one of the few tbf).

Im not saying he’s a bad player or anything like that, he’s became important because he looks like he gives a f**k. As a championship defender, he’s above average, as a midfielder he’s limited but both of these things, combined with his attitude make him a key player in our current squad.

if Thistle wanted to pay him more money that Ayr couldn’t compete with then good luck to the guy.
It’s all about recruiting well and McCall  would see Muirhead as exactly the same as he did when he signed him for Ayr, a decent cover player that can play in 2-3 positions. We don’t have the luxury of signing decent players for cover because our starting 11 are as bad.

Muirhead is replaceable in midfield by signing a decent, hard working midfielder. As for a shortage of quality in defence, Hopkin clearly targeted the shambles we have signed at the back and hasn’t looked anywhere else  for defenders.

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Im not saying he’s a bad player or anything like that, he’s became important because he looks like he gives a f**k. As a championship defender, he’s above average, as a midfielder he’s limited but both of these things, combined with his attitude make him a key player in our current squad.

if Thistle wanted to pay him more money that Ayr couldn’t compete with then good luck to the guy.
It’s all about recruiting well and McCall  would see Muirhead as exactly the same as he did when he signed him for Ayr, a decent cover player that can play in 2-3 positions. We don’t have the luxury of signing decent players for cover because our starting 11 are as bad.

Muirhead is replaceable in midfield by signing a decent, hard working midfielder. As for a shortage of quality in defence, Hopkin clearly targeted the shambles we have signed at the back and hasn’t looked anywhere else  for defenders.

Also, if we were able to keep him, I’d keep him.