The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

14 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think if we play 2 up top then there’s no reason why Moffat can’t be included as a striking option which would lead us to have Adeloye, Afolabi, Moff and McKenzie. It means that we can give Afolabi some time to get up to speed and introduce him into games gradually. It does beg the question what the f**k has he been up to in pre season that he doesn’t look fit enough to play.

I still think we’re very light on attacking options in midfield. We’ve got a lot of hardworking players in Murdoch, Hewitt, Salkeld and a couple of decent players that look to go forward in Maxwell and O’Connor but we could do with another wee bit of quality and also someone to come in and do the dirty side of the game. Basically what Muirhead does and that will hopefully allow him to go back into defence.

I'd prefer we kept him as a holding midfielder given that we've got Baird, McGinty and Fjortoft back there who are all looking as capable as Aero right now.

It gives us that extra steel that we've been missing and is also quite a threat in the opposition box from set pieces.

2 hours ago, HMIP said:

Afolabi is miles off the pace and it would need to be a big push to turn Salkeld into a striker given that he’s scored about 4 goals in his entire professional career!  Moffat behind Adeloye could be decent, but I doubt he could play every week.  Honestly not sure about McKenzie - a run in the team up front might kick him on rather than wide midfield.  Not 100% sure about Adeloye either if I’m honest - he’s clearly not a target man so would be interesting to see what he could do if we dialled back the hoofball a bit. 

Given that we're unlikely to attract Harry Kane then I'd say Adeloye is at the top end of our realistic options for our budget.

Personally I've been very impressed by him and certainly wouldn't swap him for Toderov who many had seen as the height of our ambitions.

As for McKenzie, he seems to have developed a pretty good partnership with Adeloye and at the moment is absolutely miles ahead of Afolabi in terms of first choice strikers, of that there's no doubt.

People will obviously get wise to him like all forwards. The good(bad) thing is, he doesn’t feed off of a supply like some forwards that opposition can cut off. He tends to capitalise on defensive mistakes or by finding space in the box. 
not having a cohesive plan of getting the ball in to the box kind of works to his advantage. 

53 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

People will obviously get wise to him like all forwards. The good(bad) thing is, he doesn’t feed off of a supply like some forwards that opposition can cut off. He tends to capitalise on defensive mistakes or by finding space in the box. 
not having a cohesive plan of getting the ball in to the box kind of works to his advantage. 

There was one particular move on Saturday where Adeloye had the ball played to feet, back to goal on the right wing and he spun and rolled his man, left him for absolute dead, sprinted to the by line and stuck over a really good cross (might have been the one that McKenzies shot was parried on to the bar) ?? however, it was sheer class, especially after the hard shift he's already put it.

As I've said, he's got a great attitude, he's vocal with his team mates, he has a good touch and he's pretty pacy plus knows where the goal is.

Seriously, what more do we want at our level ??

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Given that we're unlikely to attract Harry Kane then I'd say Adeloye is at the top end of our realistic options for our budget.

Personally I've been very impressed by him and certainly wouldn't swap him for Toderov who many had seen as the height of our ambitions.

As for McKenzie, he seems to have developed a pretty good partnership with Adeloye and at the moment is absolutely miles ahead of Afolabi in terms of first choice strikers, of that there's no doubt.

Not suggesting we drop Adeloye.  The question asked was whether we need another striker to play with him.  Given that our other options all come with varying reservations, the answer might be yes, though I guess we might wait until January now.  

I think with Adeloye it goes to show dont always take a players wikipage as a guide to how good they are. His wasn't great, still young but had been at more clubs than he had scored goals, and spent last season at East Kilbride in the Lowland League, then Barnet. He's looked our most dangerous player since the first friendly against Stranraer, I think if he was partnered with Moff up top he will score a barrel load, as Moff would be able to find space and put the balls through for him to run onto

I don't think we can have any complaints about Adeloye, 4 goals in 6 games even if two were against Edinburgh, always shows passion and effort even though some folk don't think he runs about enough, has a wee bit skill and a trick to get past a defender plus I don't think high balls play to his strengths if we play to feet he's going to improve more and he's got a strong Twitter game, I think you can say he's probably been Hopkins best signing so far.

Tommi Adeloye ? Well there is definitely something about him . Sounds like his head is in the right place , leaving all his distractions down south to come up and give it a proper go as he says . At 25 he probably realises this is his last chance to make some money . That’s of course if he can get a pile of goals .. This is the bit where he looks strongest of all , he has a nose for goal . Maybe more a piano player than a lifter , but that’s not to say he isn’t a strong lad . He is . But a target man he is not . 

Only a few of our strikers over the last 25 years or so have got over the 20 goal margins in a season . So if Tommi hits those heights he’ll be in the company of Annand , Hurst , Waker and of course the great Lawrence Shankland , so no pressure there huh .

The question then is how best to facilitate this ? Will he fare better with a partner ? I think most would agree that that would be a yes , if yes then what kind ? Hopkin hinted of a target type , well Harker certainly fits into that category, but maybe an all court striker with more game than goals , that sounds like Moffat . Of course there are others a bit younger than Moff but with plenty of experience , Goodwillie ? He’d need to be bought or traded for . An international with plenty of goals . Gavin Reilly looking for a loan , journey man , knows the division but not so many goals . Or perhaps Mark McKenzie , it could be right under our noses ! But is he in the process of arriving as a Championship player or dies he need 20 games in L1 before he’s ready ? 

So more questions than answers , what can be said though I think is , we’ve got a good un in Tommi , as usual the wolfs will come sniffing , better get his contract sorted pronto .....

6 minutes ago, North British said:

Only a few of our strikers over the last 25 years or so have got over the 20 goal margins in a season . So if Tommi hits those heights he’ll be in the company of Annand , Hurst , Waker and of course the great Lawrence Shankland , so no pressure there huh .

Pretty sure Moffat got over 20 goals in one of his early seasons. Loads of them were penalties.

3 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:
Pretty sure Moffat got over 20 goals in one of his early seasons. Loads of them were penalties.

The season the new rangers won league one if memory serves me correctly

Aye, I think it was that season.

Come to think of it Moore got over 20 in our league winning season in 2017/18 as well.

11 hours ago, North British said:

Sorry meant Championship goals ...

That makes more sense. 20 goal strikers in the Championship are pretty rare things.

I suspect over the last 5 seasons it's probably only been Sir Lawrence (with ourselves and Dundee United) and maybe Dobbie when he rolled back the years a couple of seasons back that have surpassed that threshold.

There must be stats for it somewhere.

44 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

That makes more sense. 20 goal strikers in the Championship are pretty rare things.

I suspect over the last 5 seasons it's probably only been Sir Lawrence (with ourselves and Dundee United) and maybe Dobbie when he rolled back the years a couple of seasons back that have surpassed that threshold.

There must be stats for it somewhere.

That's a good point. Also would Hopkins style of play lend itself well to a high scoring season that is usually required for strikers to reach this level

1 hour ago, AyrExile said:

That's a good point. Also would Hopkins style of play lend itself well to a high scoring season that is usually required for strikers to reach this level

Who knows - but the boy clearly knows where the goals are and I’m sure his confidence will be rising with each one he sticks away.

25 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

No loans from Burnley then

Not the best, hopefully they have people identified very quickly elsewhere. Assuming both have better options in England. Bit worrying that the article doesn’t mention players elsewhere to bring in though.  

Plus we have all wasted our time stalking numerous members of that Burnley squad!

Edited by No_Problemo