The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:
4 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:
AP saying Hopkin is still after a midfielder and then goes on to say we’re in talks with Burnley about one of their u23’s. 

If he brings in two that would give us a first team squad of about 24 that would be the biggest we have had in a long long time.

24? That would probably be the largest squad in the league 

you got magic money trees?

Edited by flood

On the topic of squad numbers, we’ve had many say over the last few years that 1 or 2 injuries kills us and that we need to run with a larger squad, so now that we have a larger squad, it’s funny to see people question the size. Would like to see Ecrepont back out on loan this season as well as Smith. 

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

On the topic of squad numbers, we’ve had many say over the last few years that 1 or 2 injuries kills us and that we need to run with a larger squad, so now that we have a larger squad, it’s funny to see people question the size. Would like to see Ecrepont back out on loan this season as well as Smith. 

It’s because we have signed so many players, we are still light in certain areas and need to bring in more. 
And we are still dross despite carrying a 20+ man squad.

11 minutes ago, HMIP said:

The assertion that we have a “big squad” seems to be on the basis of 2 or 3 signings we haven’t made yet and 2/3 youth players who aren’t ready for the first team.

We have had about a 14 man senior squad  for maybe 20 years, every manager has had an emphasis on developing youth in their contract to utilise the academy. 

To see us have a squad of 19, plus Hewitt and Ecripont, with potentially 1 new signing plus two loans would take us to 24.

that is undeniably a big squad. 

12 minutes ago, HMIP said:

The assertion that we have a “big squad” seems to be on the basis of 2 or 3 signings we haven’t made yet and 2/3 youth players who aren’t ready for the first team.

I wouldn't agree with that, i'd say our current squad is very large for this league.

Other than our starting 11 and large bench, we had guys like Moffat and Miller not even included in the squad.

We have 2 competent first team keepers, an absolute rake of defenders, quite a few utility players and about 4 or 5 forwards.

Midfield is where we're woefully short but if we bring another couple in, then think we'll need to be moving at least 2 or 3 on.

34 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I wouldn't agree with that, i'd say our current squad is very large for this league.

Other than our starting 11 and large bench, we had guys like Moffat and Miller not even included in the squad.

We have 2 competent first team keepers, an absolute rake of defenders, quite a few utility players and about 4 or 5 forwards.

Midfield is where we're woefully short but if we bring another couple in, then think we'll need to be moving at least 2 or 3 on.

We’re not woefully short on numbers, it’s quality we’re short on in there. Any of Chalmers, Murdoch, Miller, Hewitt, Muirhead, McAllister and Maxwell can play in the central positions. Biggest problem for Hopkin was/is Chalmers and Miller being in 2 year deals (even Murdoch to an extent). With the first 2 not being involved much, we’re hopefully trying to move them in to allow maybe 1 or 2 quality additions in there, all down to another team wanting to take them on. 

2 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

No he left on a free. However the talk was we have sell on fees agreed for Daniel Harvie (MK Dons) and and Michael Rose (Coventry).

Michael Rose was a sell on agreed as part of his contract rather than the club, thank you gesture iirc?

Edited by Hawk89

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

I thought United paid for him.  Be interesting to see how gets on in Belgique.

Will hopefully boost his Scotland chances. Also keeps him out of McCall's tentacles for a couple of seasons one would hope.

6 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

We’re not woefully short on numbers, it’s quality we’re short on in there. Any of Chalmers, Murdoch, Miller, Hewitt, Muirhead, McAllister and Maxwell can play in the central positions. Biggest problem for Hopkin was/is Chalmers and Miller being in 2 year deals (even Murdoch to an extent). With the first 2 not being involved much, we’re hopefully trying to move them in to allow maybe 1 or 2 quality additions in there, all down to another team wanting to take them on. 

Most of the guys you've listed are the type I would have down as "utility players", such as Muirhead, McAllister, Maxwell and Miller and even Chalmers was a LB if I'm not mistaken. Main position for virtually all of them is either FB or CH and while Hewitt looks promising, he's still very young and very inexperienced to be chucking straight in.

Basically we're missing a Doc or a Kelly or even a Crawford and without someone like that then I can actually see why we're not playing through the Midfield as it's basically non existent at the moment.

I suppose we can only hope that Hopkin's going to get in a couple of competent / quality additions for the middle of the park and quick !!!

In the squad picture David Sargeant posted yesterday there is 24 players however I’d expect Ecrepont, Smith, Jeanes and Bilham* to all go on loan. Possibly Hewitt too however given his age I’m not sure there is a benefit in this.  This would take us to a squad of 19/20. With one or two coming in from Burnley this would take us to 21/22 which seems about right to me. Starting 11, 7 on the bench and a few in reserve for injuries/covid related issues. 

*Think he has already went on loan to a junior side. 

Would certainly be interesting to see how he gets on, in the right system we all know what he is capable of from his time at Ayr and Dundee United. I'm not entirely sure what level of football he's going to be playing in comparison to the Scottish Premiership. Are Beerschot part of the proposed merger of the Belgian and Dutch top flights? Last I read the Belgians were still trying to identify club #8. 

Squad too small only a few weeks ago now it’s too big , oh dear God . There will be a downsize before the end of the month if that is other teams like the look of what’s on offer . Given that McAlister can  play CH I’d say say we have one too many in that stable . One will go , hopefully Baird rather than Aero . In the midfield Chalmers will be going if anyone wants to pick up his wage . Hewitt and McKenzie should go out on loan until Christmas with a view to playing for us in the new year .