The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Fans often can’t see things, for example after he left some Ayr fans actually thought McCall was holding us back and we could kick on without him. 

[emoji23] a manager takes a provincial club to their highest ever finish, qualifies for Europe and wins the Scottish Cup. Poor. 
Mccall took us as far as anyone can in this day and age. He had us playing great football and challenging at the top of the championship and yet we struggled to get much more than 2000 at home games. That says it all.

I hate to admit it but if dunfermline, partick, or even fucking morton are playing well and being successful then more fans turn up.

The town and it's surroundings has too many c***s that prefer rangers. It's depressing but it's true.

Now we've got a much more limited manager and he's assembled a pretty bang average squad. At the moment the team are playing ugly football and not getting results. This can't last long.

If he can somehow get some results then enough fans will overlook the style and give him time but the turnaround needs to come soon.

I'm thoroughly depressed right now, and that's without watching the highlights.

Getting so far ahead of myself it's not real, but I'd love to think that Dave Smith would stomach only so much if we're properly in the shit approaching the end of the year, and as he was not in control of the club when Kerr was appointed, he'd go begging Sandy Stewart to come back.

Looking at the second Arbroath goal, big questions remain over Houstons prescence as a RWB, surprised we've yet to see McAllister kick a ball for us.

Think a big problem for Hopkin is with a few late signings he has no idea yet what his best starting 11/setup is. 

Also Fjortoft should have been sent off for that challenge IMO, potential leg breaker

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Mccall took us as far as anyone can in this day and age. He had us playing great football and challenging at the top of the championship and yet we struggled to get much more than 2000 at home games. That says it all.

Two (2) seasons of decent football at the top of the second tier is not suddenly going to change the attendance that much. Recall that Falkirk, Accies, Killie, Partick etc have spent far more time in either that position or in the top tier in the last 20 years: that's an entire generation lost, and going on two. (Never mind that Partick are in the west end of Glasgow.)

McCall had an unhealthy obsession with attendance.

4 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Two (2) seasons of decent football at the top of the second tier is not suddenly going to change the attendance that much. Recall that Falkirk, Accies, Killie, Partick etc have spent far more time in either that position or in the top tier in the last 20 years: that's an entire generation lost, and going on two. (Never mind that Partick are in the west end of Glasgow.)

Accies core support is no bigger than ours.  They struggled to get 1500 home fans in the premier league.  The other clubs you mentioned always carried bigger supports than us.  

Just watched the highlights, Bairds clearing header doesn’t look as bad, Fjortoft backs off and backs off, shows Nouble inside rather than taking him to the byline, he’s so far off him, he gave him no option but to shoot.

The second looks like McGinty left it at the last minute for the keeper, maybe there wasn’t a clear shout.

It was at a height that McGinty would have had to take a touch before clearing and it made sense that the keeper should come for it. Total fuckup 

5 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Just watched the highlights, Bairds clearing header doesn’t look as bad, Fjortoft backs off and backs off, shows Nouble inside rather than taking him to the byline, he’s so far off him, he gave him no option but to shoot.

The second looks like McGinty left it at the last minute for the keeper, maybe there wasn’t a clear shout.

It was at a height that McGinty would have had to take a touch before clearing and it made sense that the keeper should come for it. Total fuckup 

Albinson had nothing to do except pick the ball out the net twice and watch a penalty rattle off the crossbar.  As bad as we were, Arbroath weren’t up to much, particularly in the second half when they tired badly in the last 15 minutes.  I think that actually makes me feel more depressed!  It was never a penalty all the same, though we probably caught a break with the Fjortoft challenge not being a red card.

I don't think 5 or 6 seasons would change it. And mccall was obsessed by attendance because that's a pretty big factor in determining his budgets.
Accies core support is no bigger than ours.  They struggled to get 1500 home fans in the premier league.  The other clubs you mentioned always carried bigger supports than us.  
What accies have done, year after year, is nothing short of miraculous. They're very much the exception.

1 hour ago, HMIP said:

I think theirs is even smaller. Likewise Livi. The games between them two in the top flight (before COVID) only attracted around 1,000.

Our attendances should have been a bit better when we were properly challenging in this league but that’s two teams right there showing that it doesn’t have to be the be all and end all for a period of success.

11 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I don't think 5 or 6 seasons would change it. And mccall was obsessed by attendance because that's a pretty big factor in determining his budgets.

Not on a week-by-week basis though. In terms of budgets you're looking at 6-month projections and season tickets. McCall got the vapours if the gates were 75 lower between home games. He just never really got over his shame of being at what he considered to be a diddy club.

5 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I think theirs is even smaller. Likewise Livi.

Livi don't give a shit about attendance, considering they're funded by brown envelopes taped under park benches. For that matter I don't really think any established top-flight team cares that much, which would certainly lend credence to the absolute shock they tend to get when they're relegated and no longer get TV money.

Edited by Thumper

54 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Not on a week-by-week basis though. In terms of budgets you're looking at 6-month projections and season tickets. McCall got the vapours if the gates were 75 lower between home games. He just never really got over his shame of being at what he considered to be a diddy club.

Livi don't give a shit about attendance, considering they're funded by brown envelopes taped under park benches. For that matter I don't really think any established top-flight team cares that much, which would certainly lend credence to the absolute shock they tend to get when they're relegated and no longer get TV money.

Given that Livingston have effectively gone bust 3 times in just over 20 years and nearly went into administration again in 2014, I’m not sure anyone is funding them, via brown envelopes or otherwise!

5 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
7 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:
Is McAdams still not 100% or is Hopkin just preferring Albinson atm? 

Albiston had not done anything to be dropped for up to yesterday, after the second goal though I could see McAdams getting his chance now

I dont know why but I'd rather have McAdams in goal. Maybe a bit unfair on the lad but he doesnt fill me with confidence and I reckon he should have done better with both goals yesterday but I'm probably in the minority on that one