The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Definitely partly that, but I would say Mark Kerr was a more important part of that midfield! An on form Murdoch could play the Docherty role, no one can play Kerr’s. 

Murdoch picked up a career threatening injury before Doc signed with Partick.  Too much of our midfield planning has been built around the assumption that he would immediately be back to the player he was.  And if I’m honest, I don’t think he was ever as good at the midfield holding role.  Like Crawford, we’ve only missed Docherty after he left.

1 hour ago, HMIP said:

Like Crawford, we’ve only missed Docherty after he left

A support is often divided on a particular player during his time with a club. It's only when he leaves, and isn't adequately replaced, that you appreciate what his true worth actually was. We've had more than our fair share of these type of players over the past 30+ years.

That worth isn't always identified by goals or assists either as it's often not the flashy headline grabbing player. Its often the players with a strong mentality that are equally as difficult to replace. Those that can bring the communication or encouragement between colleagues that avoids throwing away leads late in games. It can be a last ditch block or tackle and overall just that inherent will to win, whatever it takes. 

You can never have enough of them in your team. 

Edited by BukyOHare

1 hour ago, HMIP said:

Murdoch picked up a career threatening injury before Doc signed with Partick.  Too much of our midfield planning has been built around the assumption that he would immediately be back to the player he was.  And if I’m honest, I don’t think he was ever as good at the midfield holding role.  Like Crawford, we’ve only missed Docherty after he left.

Murdoch at his best, was better than Docherty IMO - they are different players though. 

Docherty was a fantastic player btw, and we have most definitely missed him. If we were choosing, I would rather have a Mark Kerr style player though. 

I was certainly in the group that appreciated Crawford too. 

Docherty was really good when he came back into the team after Murdochs injury and in fairness to him, his performances never dropped after signing the PCA. I just felt overall he could be replaced at this level and the fact he hasn’t been is more down to poor recruitment rather than him being a brilliant player.

If I had the choice between signing a midfielder or another striker I’d take the midfielder all day long. It could be the difference between a good and a terrible season for us.

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Docherty was really good when he came back into the team after Murdochs injury and in fairness to him, his performances never dropped after signing the PCA. I just felt overall he could be replaced at this level and the fact he hasn’t been is more down to poor recruitment rather than him being a brilliant player.

If I had the choice between signing a midfielder or another striker I’d take the midfielder all day long. It could be the difference between a good and a terrible season for us.

Completely agree. 

The Mark Kerr style player was much harder to replace, but the Docherty role shouldn’t have been as difficult as it’s proved. 

I don’t think it should even be a question whether it’s a central midfielder or striker, and I would be even more worried about this season if the manager prioritised a striker!

On the topic of Crawford , he was a luxury player in a team that was fairly loaded with them . Ironically he would be a better fit in the current side , with plenty of others around to lift the piano . Hopefully O’Conner can  live up to the hype and be our piano player . On Saturday we must find a way to have him on the field at the same time as Tommi and Johnnie .

With that three on the pitch we really need a Kerr style player with some legs in the centre of midfield . Could Chalmers do it , not sure he could ! Pretty much means we need to sign one .  

On the topic of Crawford , he was a luxury player in a team that was fairly loaded with them . Ironically he would be a better fit in the current side , with plenty of others around to lift the piano . Hopefully O’Conner can  live up to the hype and be our piano player . On Saturday we must find a way to have him on the field at the same time as Tommi and Johnnie .
With that three on the pitch we really need a Kerr style player with some legs in the centre of midfield . Could Chalmers do it , not sure he could ! Pretty much means we need to sign one .  
100% this no point having Adeloye, Afolabi and O'Connor if we are just going to pump it long every time

9 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

100% this no point having Adeloye, Afolabi and O'Connor if we are just going to pump it long every time

I'm not convinced we will pump it long versus Arbroath.

However, I expect any game where Hopkin thinks we are weaker or the underdogs it will be a bit like Monday night. Resolute defensively and then shell it long. Fucking brutal to watch but hopefully winning/drawing more than we lose? Against teams he perceives to be weaker I expect we'll play a bit more expensively - more like how we played against Hamilton. (at least I hope we will).

Edited by Trogdor

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'm not convinced we will pump it long versus Arbroath.

However, I expect any game where Hopkin thinks we are weaker or the underdogs it will be a bit like Monday night. Resolute defensively and then shell it long. Fucking brutal to watch but hopefully winning more than we lose? Against teams he perceives to be weaker I expect we'll play a bit more expensively - more like how we played against Hamilton. (at least I hope we will).

Take your point but I think he had Accies down as the same caliber as Killie . Same team same formation just a different outcome . Reason : we were about 10% better at our work against Accies ...

My feeling is , as mentioned by another poster , that we’ll be going for three points in every home game and maybe just trying not to lose when away from home . However don’t expect a cavalry charge on Saturday , we just ain’t that side these days .  I would love to see a 4-4-2 on Saturday but i’d settle for a 5-3-2 . The 4-5-1 at home would give me the fear .. 

18 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

However, I expect any game where Hopkin thinks we are weaker or the underdogs it will be a bit like Monday night. Resolute defensively and then shell it long.

I agree. Concede one goal and we are stuffed. "They shall not pass" has never been a particularly successful slogan even when the intention is good.

Unrelatedly, are people content with Hopkin getting the first round of league games before passing judgement? A 2-year deal suggests we might be in it for a long time, not a good time.

I’m actually starting to look forward to Saturday now, not entirely sure why but I think it’ll be good to see three half decent attacking players on the pitch for us. Still got some hope for this campaign, hopefully it isn’t completely extinguished on Saturday. 

14 minutes ago, wuffster said:

Unrelatedly, are people content with Hopkin getting the first round of league games before passing judgement? A 2-year deal suggests we might be in it for a long time, not a good time.

Any hint of relegation from Hopkin or any other manager employed by Smith and there would be changes . I expect finishing between 7th and 5th  will be enough to get the second year of the contract . 

16 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m actually starting to look forward to Saturday now, not entirely sure why but I think it’ll be good to see three half decent attacking players on the pitch for us. Still got some hope for this campaign, hopefully it isn’t completely extinguished on Saturday. 

Yeah, if you take the emotion out of the games, we’ve qualified for the last 16 of the league cup and lost to the league favourites in the opening game of the season having not played for nearly 2 weeks. Add to that Killie having had a couple of results to boos their confidence going into the match. I’m still optimistic for the season, result needed on Saturday though. 

11 minutes ago, North British said:

I expect finishing between 7th and 5th  will be enough to get the second year of the contract . 

And so it absolutely should. Call me defeatist, but I'd be delighted to finish between 5th and 7th this season, given last year's troubles. 

It would definitely be seen as progression which is what we all want and what the club ultimately needs.

It provides some stability on and off the field and let the club keep planning longer term. 

To keep flirting at the bottom of the table is not the desired performances of a team with ambitions for promotion. As far off as that may be. 

53 minutes ago, wuffster said:

I agree. Concede one goal and we are stuffed. "They shall not pass" has never been a particularly successful slogan even when the intention is good.

If we had put up a fight against Kilmarnock and lost 2-0 I’d have said yes. It was the first game a team got in our faces and we crapped it. We could end up having a team boo’d on to the park for the first home league game of the season.

Arbroath normally start the season slow so a defeat on Saturday and I think the calls will start. 20 games, almost a whole new team and the same bad results and performances wouldn’t be fans being fickle.
I’d hope there were clauses in his contract on performance but if there is, it probably won’t kick in till the 3rd quarter should it continue to go wrong.

As long as we don’t get in to a Daziel situation where Smith keeps giving him money rather than taking action. 

On 04/08/2021 at 18:58, D'Jaffo said:

Is Jacobs not finished?

He’s someone I thought Hopkin would’ve been interested in but I thought his legs were away.

He broke his leg about 2 seasons ago now and hasn't played a game since. Would be a huge gamble on a player who was only ever lower Championship level in the first place. Think it was Hopkin that brought him back from his year abroad in South Africa though so he has signed him before but I think it was more of a formality of him just returning to the club