The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

18 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Hate to break this to you but McGinty is a shoe in for a start, he's got the captains armband for one which shows how much Hopkin trusts him. FWIW I don't think Baird or McGinty really did too much wrong last night, they were under constant pressure as well so it inevitable that they would eventually let something through like any other defender in the league.

We haven't seen any of the clangers we expected from McGinty thus far, from what we've seen of him at other clubs. Obviously the real tests are only just beginning now the league has kicked off but, long may it continue. 

I didn’t say he wasn’t, and I don’t remotely blame him for last night - he was poor in a couple of moments but when you are under that type of pressure all game that is going to happen. I just think Muirhead and Fjortroft are our best two centre halves!

29 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

We had many faults last night but don't think either McGinty or Baird were any of them. I also though Albinson did very well and looks a very competent keeper.

I like Reading but he got an absolute roasting from Burke and didn't get much help from others either.

Hewitt and McKenzie looked a little out of their depth (formation and tactics didn't help them), Murdoch was poor and Muirhead not involved enough either so all in all the Manager has a few decisions to make for Saturday.

On a plus note I thought O'Connor looked very impressive in his short cameo appearance but we really do need to get more possession and get the centre of the park sorted out and fast !!!

Joe Chalmers should have played that LM role to double up on Burke with Reading IMO like Chalmers did well in games at the end of last season. Maxwell too would have seemed an obvious alternative, basically the two winger options in midfield of Hewitt/McKenzie was a balls up by Hopkin, considering neither of them are wingers. Other option was Muirhead to snap Burke in half.

Not too sure why we seemed to ditch the 3/5 at the back formation which has worked so well in the league cup...

28 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

My immediate feeling after last night is nothing more or less than frustration. I’m not angry we lost as I half expected it. I’m more annoyed at how much respect we showed to a bang average Kilmarnock team. There wasn’t any overly poor individual performance but the whole approach to the game was very wrong.

The defence being under constant pressure and the fact that Adeloye was so isolated are the two things we really need to look at for this season. Hopefully Hopkin is still looking at adding a striker and another midfielder.

For Saturday though I’d go with this team.

Albinson

Fjortoft
Muirhead
McGinty

Houston
Murdoch
Miller
Reading

Afolabi
Adeloye
O’Connor

Aye we played worse than we did in the league cup games IMO. Starting formation was too conservative IMO.

Edited by rb123!

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Nice username. Lead singer a good guy eh?

Choosing a song title as a username and it then transpiring several years later that the lead singer is a scumbag is not comparable to your pathetic defence of that song.

Absolutely tragic whataboutery.

44 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Came onto this thread to read people’s thoughts on the game and we’re debating whether that song is racist

Hide contents

it’s not and you are quite simply a clown if you think otherwise. 

It might not be intended as racist but the term clearly has other meanings in the modern age. The fact that more than a few on here are intent on using that phrase knowing full well how it will be construed only shows you up as a clown tbh. Yer man Trogdor has shown an example of how to better articulate yourself if you want to comment on the cleanliness of your neighbours;

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

unwashed interlopers 

1 hour ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

dont talk daft.

If I dont intend saying something as racist, it's not racist, especially to people of the same race as me.

If you cant see why a large crowd using black as a derogatory term is problematic, there isnt much hope for you. I think most people accept that the context and intent isnt racist, but it isnt a great leap to say that the connotations of black being unwashed/dirty has an uneasy connection to racism regardless of what the intent is.

It is for the same reason that the term "p**f" in relation to a tackle or player's conduct on the pitch has rightly been largely binned. I doubt many people actually meant it in a homophobic way, but more a word they had grown up using to describe weakness or cowardice. But regardless of context, it is clearly a homophobic term.

If you are going to stubbornly defend the chanting of black b*astard in 2021 you need to give your head a wobble.

Agree with most people of why he didn’t play his best players, but you ha e to give him credit for keeping with the Hamilton team  performance who everyone were praising. I was really shocked Fjortoft wasn’t playing as he looked class when he came on and Salkeld was outstanding at right wing back so for me Fjortoft had to come in. Young Hewitt is perfect for coming on as a sub as he has so much energy and can play in a few positions, McKenzie I’m sorry but hasn’t kicked on from last year and can only play up front so as a sub would be his best option or put him out on loan as a striker to get confidence, it’s worked for the boy Cameron.

All in all I say if that’s the best on there own shite pitch and no away fans then this league is very open they certainly wont dominate like they and the pundits think.

Having a huge argument about racism in which there is evidently a 50-50 split in the support as to whether it's still the fucking 1970s or not was the last thing this was missing to be a mirror image of Falkirk's relegation thread.

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

Joe Chalmers should have played that LM role to double up on Burke with Reading IMO like Chalmers did well in games at the end of last season. Maxwell too would have seemed an obvious alternative, basically the two winger options in midfield of Hewitt/McKenzie was a balls up by Hopkin, considering neither of them are wingers. Other option was Muirhead to snap Burke in half.

Not too sure why we seemed to ditch the 3/5 at the back formation which has worked so well in the league cup...

Aye we played worse than we did in the league cup games IMO. Starting formation was too conservative IMO.

How many games in the league cup did we go with 3 at the back?  Only game I saw was at Accies where we started with a back 4 though we did change in the latter stages. I was assuming fjortoft being injured and Muirhead being needed in the midfield was stopping us going with 3 centre backs, so maybe that is still the plan.

It's just unacceptable that we failed to have any real shots on goal and no shots on target. This also happened a couple of times last season under both Kerr and Hopkin but even in our darkest days of the Brian Bilslands and Ronnie Yuills I honestly can never remember it previously. 

Football first and foremost is about entertainment and the great Ally would be turning in his grave with that pathetic excuse for a gameplan last night.

I can take a hammering if you at least give it a go but sitting back and playing for a 0-0 draw just ain't going to wash with the Somerset faithful, that's for sure.

All I can say is that he better have a different approach on Saturday........

21 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's just unacceptable that we failed to have any real shots on goal and no shots on target. This also happened a couple of times last season under both Kerr and Hopkin but even in our darkest days of the Brian Bilslands and Ronnie Yuills I honestly can never remember it previously. 

Football first and foremost is about entertainment and the great Ally would be turning in his grave with that pathetic excuse for a gameplan last night.

I can take a hammering if you at least give it a go but sitting back and playing for a 0-0 draw just ain't going to wash with the Somerset faithful, that's for sure.

All I can say is that he better have a different approach on Saturday........

Totally agree