Cameron Salkeld (22)

Paul Smith (19)

Strikers

Mark McKenzie (20)

Michael Moffat (36)

Tomi Adeloye (25)

10 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

Rubbish .

The above is from the squad list page before we signed Maxwell. 

2 Goalkeepers

9 Defenders (10 if you add Maxwell)

5 Midfielders

3 Strikers

Pretty sure my comment stands about being overstocked in defense relative to midfielders and strikers.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

You can quite clearly have too much depth if Hopkin spunks all his budget in one position and neglects the rest of his squad. Which is why his Morton squad last season had about 11 midfielders and no backup goalkeeper or centre forward worthy of the name. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

That isn’t an issue with us… yet. We of course need to bring players in up top but there’s no evidence of Hopkin stockpiling in any one position.

7 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

2 Goalkeepers

5 Midfielders

3 Strikers

You hate to see it happen. 

1 hour ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Strangely, and against previous warnings, Hopkin seems to be quite reserved in filling and overfilling specific positions.  Some of the fan base feels he is not spending anywhere close to the expected budget.

He certainly started at the back and has added from there, but quite evenly spread throughout the positions - with the exception of goal scorer.

We have 4/5 centre backs, 3 left backs and 3 right sided utility players.  We’re betting the farm on a 25 year old centre forward who’s scored a dozen competitive goals in his entire professional career (if the online stats are correct) and have done nothing to strengthen the midfield. . As limited as Chalmers was last season, he looks like the only midfielder we have who can actually pass a ball.  We’ve lost quality like McCowan, Smith and yes, even Walsh and done nothing to replace them.  If there are sections of our support who are concerned, then I’d say there is good reason.  All that said, we have a few players who can nominally play in multiple positions e.g. Maxwell, so who knows how Hopkin plans to have us line up.

You hate to see it happen. 

Given we play with 3 centre backs at any one time and 2 wingbacks it’s actually normal to have more defenders than any other positions. Also given that some of those defenders I.e Reading, Maxwell, Muirhead, McAllister will play elsewhere when needed and there’s no real issue here.

Thanks for playing though.

Yeah, it's fair to say we've got flexibility with those who can play in more than one position. It's also fair to say if we make 3/4 signings in the right positions the squad will be balanced.

I'm not sure either of these points is a hot take or even a controversial one. We all agree we need 3/4 signings in midfield and attack so why are we arguing over it? 🤷‍♂️

27 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

2 Goalkeepers

5 Midfielders

3 Strikers

Pretty sure my comment stands about being overstocked in defense relative to midfielders and strikers

Hewitt , McAlister and Maxwell will all feature mainly in midfield .. Stop cooking the books .

We aren’t over stocked in defence . I reckon Hewitt will be used more as an option in midfield if he isn’t loaned out and Ecrepont is almost certainly going out on loan. We play a back 3 and have 4 centre backs so the 3 starters and a back up. 2 left back/wing backs (Reading and Maxwell) and 2 right back/wing backs (Houston and McAllister). There is talk of one of Maxwell and Reading playing higher up the pitch. 

In Centre mid we do have 4 options in Murdoch, Chalmers, Miller and Hewitt. I reckon Paul Smith will be loaned out. None of these options fill me with confidence and we undoubtably need strengthening in this area. based on the couple of games so far Murdoch has looked good but he needs someone beside him and a creator 

Forwards we have Adeloye, McKenzie, Moffat and Salkeld. Adeloye is the only want I’d want starting on a regular basis and even he is a bit of an unknown quantity. Undoubtably we need a striker either to be the focal point of the attacks for Adeloye to play off or if Adeloye is going to be the focal point someone to play off him. 

51 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I’m no Hopkin fanboy but you don’t half put a spin on things.

Miller doesn’t play centre back so I’m not sure why you’d include him there. He’s primarily played in midfield for us. It also seems pretty clear that Hewitt that will be used far more in midfield than defence.

Four centre backs is absolutely normal, even more so if you’re playing 3 at the back or if Muirhead spends some time in midfield, it’s the same number of them we had last season after Ndaba joined.

And heaven forbid we have two competent goalkeepers in the squad to avoid a repeat of last seasons last minute loan shambles.

We need more forwards and some creativity in midfield, absolutely. But it’s nothing like the ridiculously imbalanced squad Morton had last season.

I think you are looking for a spin that isn’t there.  Miller played Centre half in games for us last year, that’s why I didn’t just say 5 centre half’s. He can also play right back and did for us.

I counted Hewitt in midfield, but having played 4 first team games I’m not sure I would class him as competent or established yet.

We have more goalkeepers than goal-scorers

we have signed 4 defenders on top of the 4 we already had.(5 counting Miller)

we have signed one forward and one midfielder 

17 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Given we play with 3 centre backs at any one time and 2 wingbacks it’s actually normal to have more defenders than any other positions. 

It's cute that you think the way that you play will last more than a few defeats. After which you'll actually be playing a 4-5-1 shitfest and be left with a shelf of utterly pointless defensive signings and not enough options where you need them. 

It's the Hopkin way. 

45 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The Burnley situation is another one which i'd like the club to clarify as this wouldn't be disadvantaging us / tipping off a rival, since it would relate to our exclusive (within Scotland) partnership agreement with them.

It is common for clubs to have partnerships, Celtic, Slavia Prague, Liverpool and a Polish team I can’t remember had one, they sent 2-3 players to each club to train. None of them were expected to play first team football.

I’m sure the press conference about this partnership mentioned Ayr players training with Burnley as well for development. It doesn’t mean they will be first team ready either way. 

3 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I may have missed the confirmation, but was cammy smith the player we were supposed to sign that would please the fans/ex player?

No idea, that may have been Todorov, Smith, Cochrane…..Kelly…..who knows any more.

Shankland was flashing his knickers to potential suitors a couple of weeks ago, Maybe Smith is going to treat us. 

Or more likely, it’s a player that has since decided to sign for another club.

9 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

How many games has Hewitt started for Ayr in defence? 

You tell me, that tends to be how discourse works. On the same vein, Miller may well have played more as a defender for us than midfield. He's listed as a midfielder btw. 

I really dont understand why people are getting so defensive over how many defensive players we have. It's not a bad thing we just need 3 or 4 more at the mid and top of the pitch.

Edited by Trogdor

9 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

No idea, that may have been Todorov, Smith, Cochrane…..Kelly…..who knows any more.

Shankland was flashing his knickers to potential suitors a couple of weeks ago, Maybe Smith is going to treat us. 

Or more likely, it’s a player that has since decided to sign for another club.

Reckon you could match his 4k a week at United?

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

You tell me, that tends to be how discourse works. On the same vein, Miller may well have played more as a defender for us than midfield. He's listed as a midfielder btw. 

I really dont understand why people are getting so defensive over how many defensive players we have. It's not a bad thing we just need 3 or 4 at the mid and top of the pitch.

You’re saying we’re over cooked in defence when we’re not. We’re under stocked up the top end of the pitch, but that doesn’t mean we have too many defensive players. 

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Reckon you could match his 4k a week at United?

No we couldnt, but Shankland himself said it wasnt about the money for him. He was  in a low place until he rejuvenated himself while with us. I'm not expecting him to re-sign any time soon but I do believe for him it's about feeling wanted and enjoying football more than money 

Edited by Thereisalight..