The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Voice hinting on twitter that we did try and get Cammy Smith back but he chose Partick Thistle for “footballing reasons” 
ETA: Another player proving that “players are desperate to play under Hopkin” is a complete and utter myth. 

It doesn’t prove anything though.

As with all managers some players will want to play for them and some won’t. A handful of players leaving (with only one player confirmed as leaving for reasons relating to Hopkin) doesn’t mean no one wants to play for him.

1 hour ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Anyone else think that a 2 year deal motivated Smith to go to Partick?

For the caliber of player that's a great deal for them.  

McCall said today that Smith chose us over other clubs (didn’t specify which) due to the style of play that he’s planning to go with this season, which looks to be fairly attacking. 

Edited by JagsCG

24 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Voice hinting on twitter that we did try and get Cammy Smith back but he chose Partick Thistle for “footballing reasons"

McCall is an irascible old so-and-so and he said in Partick's interview that Smith chose PTFC for footballing reasons or some such. Love it!

3 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Aye so like I said, our style just doesn't get the best out of players like him.  

Aye as nice as it would have been to get him i don't know where he would have fitted with the 3/5/2 however would have still be a quality addition as he had his moments of excellence. 

Can completely see why he chose Partick over us though in terms of  how we know first hand McCall plays the game compared to Hopkin, it's like chalk and cheese.

Think rest of our signings now will be loans of young guys with it all to prove, which can work out both ways.....

Sounds credible re style of play, ultimately it’s Thistle 1 Ayr 0 in the attacking mid stakes but everything will fall into place in 10 days…… or it won’t, we batten down the hatches and stifle the game into a boring no score draw, take the point given they’re struggling to score.

A person in Smiths position should know better, ‘football’ knowledge or not, does he publicly criticise other ex-employees?

Edited by bazka6

So we've apparently missed out on a player, who may or may not have been approached and up until a couple of days ago no - one even contemplated as a potential target.

Someone noted he's coming back to Scotland and all of a sudden he was number one target.

FFS folks. Get a grip.

Having watched McCall teams for a few years, Cammy Smith will fit right into that style of play and if I was Cammy Smith and had a choice of an ultra attacking Ian McCall team or an ultra defensive David Hopkin team I know who I'd choose.

8 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Aye that’s now: Todd, Smith, Walsh, McCowan (can’t really blame him though as he had an offer from a prem team) and Craig Moore who have chosen to move on rather than stay with Hopkin. 

Craig Moore wanted to go part-time but  Hopkin wants a full-time squad.. Todd chose a team nearer to home. Walsh was an empty shirt most of the time. As for Smith, like most folk I would have liked to have seen him back but he chose somewhere else so we move on. If nothing else, McCall has the gift of the gab.

I would've been raging if McCowan had went to Firhill though.

Edited by RedEd

33 minutes ago, RedEd said:

Craig Moore wanted to go part-time but  Hopkin wants a full-time squad.. Todd chose a team nearer to home. Walsh was an empty shirt most of the time. As for Smith, like most folk I would have liked to have seen him back but he chose somewhere else so we move on. If nothing else, McCall has the gift of the gab.

I would've been raging if McCowan had went to Firhill though.

Todd isn’t someone I really wanted. Walsh as you say was not the player we needed and McCowan was always leaving, no matter the manager. 

4 minutes ago, pogo1910 said:

Any word on the "crowd pleaser" signing? I'm assuming it wasn't Smith 

I very much doubt it’s happening! Think it’ll end up being Maxwell, and the two from Burnley - hopefully the good two from Burnley that is. 

Before Kerr was sacked a Montrose fan was linking us with Kai Fotheringham which didn’t make much sense until Smith leaving was announced. Possible the agreement to let Smith leave early was made when Kerr was still manager or at least before Hopkin was appointed.

Also in Smith’s final few games our style of play and results (Dundee aside) under Hopkin wouldn’t have helped make Smith think we was a good tactic fit for the manager’s system (which is probably true) and neither would the fact that we didn’t win a game after he left.

He's not the biggest loss but will 100% score against us.

11 minutes ago, Iain said:

If we don't try to sign any good players we can't miss out on them. It's genius when you think about it.

Not having a go at the club - I’m sure they’re frustrated at the lack of progress.  Just find the levels of denialism on here pretty hilarious at times e.g. McCowan is no great loss because he didn’t say anything nice about us on social media when he left,  Smith is no great loss because he’s a creative player and doesn’t fit into our system (?), Todd wanted to play football nearer his gran, Walsh is also no great loss because he lost his way last season and definitely wasn’t worth persevering with (and doesn’t fit into our system), Todorov was no loss because, um, not sure, his goal scoring record isn’t that good, maybe??