The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, HMIP said:

If you look at the team that lined up against Accies, how many goals and assists would we expect that team to generate over a season?  Our only real tactic was long throws into the box.  Players like Smith are the guys who win you football matches - that said, he was never signing for us as there are too many clubs around who would have wanted him and could put more cash on the table.

I can see potential though, with Adoleye’s hold up play if we can get good footballers in behind him. The current side wouldn’t score many at all.

We did manage to sign him last season though! 

Edited by No_Problemo

10 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

I think we should get over what Smith can and can’t do like a number of players that us fans thought we should have signed  , at this moment he is a Thistle player and all we can do now is make sure he does not influence the game when he plays against us , 

I agree we need to forgot about Smith however we need whoever we are signing in his position to be just as good if not better than him. Ideally they’ll have experience of this league. 

I honestly don't think a lack of Cammy Smith is going to dramatically change this Ayr team. Personally, I'd have had Todd over Smith. However, it was not to be and I'm more excited about the 'New Solid Super Ayr Brick Wall Defence' stopping either Josh Todd or Cammy Smith from causing any problems. 

Moffat may be getting on a bit and may play next season with a zimmer frame, however, he is great at holding the ball and has a great eye for passes and throughballs, though 90 minutes is a big ask. Definitely needing 3 new players minimum. A striker is more than needed. 

I don't understand the logic in getting Maxwell on loan 🤔 Where does he fit in the team that Ayr haven't already got covered? 

As said, Mcmanus was sold and went elsewhere, Todorov fecked off 🙄 Even at a fee, what players are known that would suit being a striker for Ayr united? 

1 minute ago, Roxanne's man said:

I honestly don't think a lack of Cammy Smith is going to dramatically change this Ayr team. Personally, I'd have had Todd over Smith. However, it was not to be and I'm more excited about the 'New Solid Super Ayr Brick Wall Defence' stopping either Josh Todd or Cammy Smith from causing any problems. 

Moffat may be getting on a bit and may play next season with a zimmer frame, however, he is great at holding the ball and has a great eye for passes and throughballs, though 90 minutes is a big ask. Definitely needing 3 new players minimum. A striker is more than needed. 

I don't understand the logic in getting Maxwell on loan 🤔 Where does he fit in the team that Ayr haven't already got covered? 

As said, Mcmanus was sold and went elsewhere, Todorov fecked off 🙄 Even at a fee, what players are known that would suit being a striker for Ayr united? 

Todd? C’mon now...

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

David Smith clearly pissed off with the situation when he’s retweeting a tweet from a fan criticising Cammy Smith. 

It's cringy as f**k we've got a Chairman acting like this. He's got to wise up sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Smith retweeted it...

Never even noticed. Not a great look for the chairman to be endorsing stuff like that in public.

As far as I remember he only signed permanently with us on the understanding that he would be able to leave for America when the opportunity came up. I’m not sure it’s the great betrayal some think it is.

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Todd? C’mon now...

Yeah, just a Hopkin tactics thing I guess. As much as Smith was a good player (better than the team around him last year) I can't see him fitting into the Hopkin ball up park stuff. 

2 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

It's cringy as f**k we've got a Chairman acting like this. He's got to wise up sooner rather than later.

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

Never even noticed. Not a great look for the chairman to be endorsing stuff like that in public.

As far as I remember he only signed permanently with us on the understanding that he would be able to leave for America when the opportunity came up. I’m not sure it’s the great betrayal some think it is.

Aye it’s pretty tinpot. I know he doesn’t have a football background and it shows with things like this. He really could do with someone advising him. 

12 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Todd was pretty rubbish to be honest. He scored our vital goal obviously but apart from that I can’t remember him doing anything of note. 

34 minutes ago, HMIP said:

If you look at the team that lined up against Accies, how many goals and assists would we expect that team to generate over a season?  Our only real tactic was long throws into the box.  Players like Smith are the guys who win you football matches - that said, he was never signing for us as there are too many clubs around who would have wanted him and could put more cash on the table.

As long as it's more than the opposition, then who cares ??

The bottom line is we beat the Accies on their own patch so ultimately we did better than them.

The retweeting doesn’t bother me tbh, it isn’t in the same realm of Twitter embarrassment as our previous chairman. 
That's a fair point.

But this one is easier to fix. Keep your own fucking council, as this kind of shit just lacks class.

I'm genuinely not that bothered with Smith not coming back. It seemed like a good option when it popped up. Given him leaving the US was quite sudden I'm sure Hopkin will have more irons in the fire. I'm not even sure Smith would fit in the side just now. He's not tall enough for one. This has to be one of the tallest Ayr sides I can remember. 

We really need an out and out striker of some calibre, a ball winner in midfield and a playmaker then some cover for me. Still 4/5 signings required imo.

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

I'm genuinely not that bothered with Smith not coming back. It seemed like a good option when it popped up. Given him leaving the US was quite sudden I'm sure Hopkin will have more irons in the fire. I'm not even sure Smith would fit in the side just now. He's not tall enough for one. This has to be one of the tallest Ayr sides I can remember. 

We really need an out and out striker of some calibre, a ball winner in midfield and a playmaker then some cover for me. Still 4/5 signings required imo.

Took the words out of my mouth 👍

Voice hinting on twitter that we did try and get Cammy Smith back but he chose Partick Thistle for “footballing reasons” 

ETA: Another player proving that “players are desperate to play under Hopkin” is a complete and utter myth. 

Edited by ayrunitedfw

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I also don't believe that this Ayr side will be "taking a pasting" from anyone.

I want and expect at least another 3 decent quality signings  for Midfield and Attack and can see no reason why this will not happen. If there's a budget there (and I'm sure there is), then I fully expect it to be spent.

Aye, because Hopkin and Duffie have a great track record in the transfer market eh? 

4 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Voice hinting on twitter that we did try and get Cammy Smith back but he chose Partick Thistle for “footballing reasons” 

ETA: Another player proving that “players are desperate to play under Hopkin” is a complete and utter myth. 

I think it’s a worry we previously discussed, but that was more in terms of youth loan players. More of an issue with players like Smith, due to Hopkin’s renowned main tactic - that certainly wouldn’t get the best out of those type of players. 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

I think it’s a worry we previously discussed, but that was more in terms of youth loan players. More of an issue with players like Smith, due to Hopkin’s renowned main tactic - that certainly wouldn’t get the best out of those type of players. 

Aye that’s now: Todd, Smith, Walsh, McCowan (can’t really blame him though as he had an offer from a prem team) and Craig Moore who have chosen to move on rather than stay with Hopkin.