The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Great result and decent performance, good to see some unjustly maligned new payers getting rewards, pity some prima Donna super fans can't put petty club fall outs to the side and give full praise to the team but I suppose that says more about them than the club, anyway well done Chairman, Manager and the players....good effort!!

Think Cammy Smith is a long shot, in my mind we only got him as we were a suitable stop-gap, hopefully I’m wrong.

Great result but let’s not get carried away,  basing it purely on their result against Rovers but Falkirk should be a good test. If we’re beating Hamilton then Falkirk happy days.

9 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Did Hopkin say in his interview “hopefully two or three before the Kilmarnock game.” 🙈

After just posting looking for that this week!

Maybe he has a deal or two done already do in his head he needs 2/3? I think we would need more than that 

Think the 2 or 3 were definite signings we’ll have before the Killie game. Obviously the window is still open after that. You’d imagine the they 3 players will be Maxwell, and the 2 Burnley boys. With them 3 and still having Moffat and McAllister to come back in, the squad is looking better. 

9 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Don’t think anyone can honestly claim they knew he’d succeed but also no one can claim they know he’ll fail.

I have an entire gallery of i-told-you-so gifs saved up which I've had to quietly stash.

For now.

Still, sometimes a team (and a manager) needs a boot up the arse, and Albion Rovers (or whatever happened behind the scenes following Albion Rovers) seems to have done the trick, so all aboard the Hoppy express I suppose. Bonus points for quite how much seethe it'll generate at Cappielow if the Hopkin-Duffy super squad achieves success at Somerset.

7 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Did Robbo not say there were rumours that someone would be announced tomorrow? Even so, it’s only going to be Maxwell but a double signing would be nice.

Today is the players day off , so it would seem a good time to announce a signing or signings . The preparation for the Falkirk game won’t start until tomorrow so it would allow any new player the opportunity (if match fit) to prepare with the squad . Also it looks like the Chairman is on a beach somewhere,so I would imagine Hoppy has bean given the green light to proceed on deals .

Bit of a reality check required I’d say.  It was a decent enough performance, but I don’t think we should be under any illusions about how limited we are going forward.  Outside of long throws, we posed little threat.  I think we might be grossly over estimating where Hamilton are as well - they look like a club in serious difficulty to be, unlike Kilmarnock who were able to splash the cash after relegation.   We’re in a better place than I’d feared, but we need to find some attacking quality pretty fast.  5 at the back and muirhead in midfield is kind of where we are at the moment, but I don’t fancy a whole season of it.

We are still very much a work in progress I'd say at the back job looks done we will be hard to beat this season, these next batch of signings are going to be very important in Adeloye we have a striker who's going to be a pest and be a really good addition but I don't see him being a 15 to 20 goal a season man, he needs some help with another striker and a number 10 who can link the midfield and the forwards hopefully that's going to be Cammy Smith if we can get Smith another center mid and a partner for Adeloye we could be in a for a good season.

If someone tried to remove their underpants by setting fire to them, then after burning their genitals quite badly decides to haul them off the normal way, you wouldn’t say….all he needed was time and faith that it would all come good in the end.

What Hopkin was doing was wrong, badly wrong And apparently the last person to realise was him. 
Has he got it right now? Who knows, it is certainly better to watch and results have been better in the last two competitive games.

The reality - The players he has signed, far to early to tell how they will fair in the long run, not conceding a goal in 3 games was not a problem last season, scoring was. 4 goals in 3 games, 3 in the same game, two games against bottom tier teams and one win suggest that’s not solved yet. Playing 30 minutes a game without our main forward due to fitness and no replacement. A bench full of youth players that didn’t get much game time in the cup games.
If we lose Adeloye, Murdoch or one of the full backs in the next week, we are royally screwed, shape goes out the window and we have no replacements. We need bodies in. 
It is better to watch and there is a chance that we will win games which is a vast improvement on up to and including the Albion Rovers game. 

4 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Here is a Wednesday morning question: If you had the choice of signing Cammy Smith or Stephen Kelly (on a season long loan) who you picking? 

Cammy Smith because we only have 2 forwards, one isn’t fit and the other has scored 2 senior goals.

if we had another 2 forwards, I’d prefer Kelly, he can pass the ball around him or he can take the ball and run at a defence, scores a few crackers as well. 

Here is a Wednesday morning question: If you had the choice of signing Cammy Smith or Stephen Kelly (on a season long loan) who you picking? 
If only one Smith because he will bring more goals, Kelly is a fantastic footballer who I'd love to see come back as well.

Smith

Purely because he’s more of a forward who can play as a 10 like Kelly but also alongside another striker in a more free role like Moffat.

Kelly would probably contribute 5-6 goals in a full season whereas Smith will be closer to double figures.

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

If someone tried to remove their underpants by setting fire to them, then after burning their genitals quite badly decides to haul them off the normal way, you wouldn’t say….all he needed was time and faith that it would all come good in the end.

What Hopkin was doing was wrong, badly wrong And apparently the last person to realise was him. 
Has he got it right now? Who knows, it is certainly better to watch and results have been better in the last two competitive games.

The reality - The players he has signed, far to early to tell how they will fair in the long run, not conceding a goal in 3 games was not a problem last season, scoring was. 4 goals in 3 games, 3 in the same game, two games against bottom tier teams and one win suggest that’s not solved yet. Playing 30 minutes a game without our main forward due to fitness and no replacement. A bench full of youth players that didn’t get much game time in the cup games.
If we lose Adeloye, Murdoch or one of the full backs in the next week, we are royally screwed, shape goes out the window and we have no replacements. We need bodies in. 
It is better to watch and there is a chance that we will win games which is a vast improvement on up to and including the Albion Rovers game. 

Eh? We didn’t do that once last season. We twice went two games without conceding - once under Kerr and once under Davie White.

Playing last night’s system, which I fact was a 4-5-1 for the first hour or so , with Aero in the middle of the five , then the player would be best suited to it and I think would run riot would be Alan Forrest .  Plenty of space last night in the wide channels for him to run a mock .

Anyway of the two mentioned i’d be inclined to go for Smith , for all the reasons stated . But in order to play him in the hole behind Tam and a centre forward  we’d require an upgrade in central midfield to keep the centre solid . 

I'm assuming that the emergence of Hewitt as a certain squad player / starter has probably negated the need for one of the additional signings that Hopkin thought was required, which means that should we sign Maxwell and manage to get in Mancini and Harker from Burnley, then anyone else over and above this (such as Smith) would be seen as a huge additional bonus.

Salkeld has also been a pleasant surprise as although many have questioned his natural ability, he's certainly a guy who gives you 100% every game, will run all day and will also weigh in with quite a few goals which is something we really lacked last season in all those departments.

I'd still like to see us sign a "wild card" type flair player that could offer something a little bit different and was why i was hoping that the Robert transfer would happen as he would fit that bill almost perfectly.

Early days, but things definitely seem more positive than just a couple of weeks back !!!