The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You’re giving McCall way too much credit by thinking he cared about things other than how he looked.

It’s been discussed that the job McCall had at Ayr is infinitely different to the job Hopkin has. McCall was obviously the manager but given the fact that Cameron was based overseas meant that he effectively had the run of the place. At a proper full time club this shouldn’t be the case. It shouldn’t be the job of the manger to get fans excited or to provide weekly updates on how things are going.

Hopkin has a remit to sign players and win matches. I don’t blame the guy for not wanting to sit down to interviews with Calum regularly. I’d rather he just got on with what he’s being paid to do.

By handling the club’s PR it reflected on him and made him look better, speaking with confidence made supporters have confidence in him. That fed the narrative that he was a capable pair of hands. It meant fans weren’t a baying mob at any point in his time at Ayr.

Fans being complementary about him added to his reputation. Ayr will be my last job in management, I love the club and the chairman. Ayr are no longer plucky wee Ayr.  
Right up to the point he left, no Ayr fan thought he would. 

He is an expert in getting in to players and supporters heads and manipulating it all in to success for the team and ultimately him. Like Ally MacLeod, he knew how to read a room.

We now have a polar opposite in terms or results, harmony or confidence. 

By handling the club’s PR it reflected on him and made him look better, speaking with confidence made supporters have confidence in him. That fed the narrative that he was a capable pair of hands. It meant fans weren’t a baying mob at any point in his time at Ayr.
Fans being complementary about him added to his reputation. Ayr will be my last job in management, I love the club and the chairman. Ayr are no longer plucky wee Ayr.  

He is an expert in getting in to players and supporters heads and manipulating it all in to success for the team and ultimately him. Like Ally MacLeod, he knew how to read a room.

As I said, McCall only cared about himself and what others thought of him. I don’t think Hopkin is that fussed tbh. We don’t need a manger with some expertise in PR.

1 minute ago, mccurdieboy said:

I can't remember away back 2015 but did mccall do interviews when he 1st joined us?

I remember he did a fans forum thingy shortly after joining the club

We sign McGinty. Hopkin goes to AU Media and plays up his strengths, he is good in the Air, born leader, run through a brick wall. Fittest guy I have seen, wants to prove himself after being released the last two summers. Hungry for success. 

What we get is, he’s a good guy to have around the squad….translates to, he’s shite but a good laugh. 

that’s the difference. 

We missed out on a player, he went against his word, that proved he wasn’t the right player for us. We have 3 forwards  identified in that position and we want to get them in to get a look at them and see if they are the right fit. Can’t say to much about them just now but they come highly recommended. We have one or two more options to look at as well but it will be the end of next week before we will sit down with them.

what we got was, that’s fitba! I am willing to wait for the right player. Which translates to, we were kind of hoping that we would have signed him, now we are back to square one on the day pre-season starts and this is a hope that fans haven’t noticed we have a game in 3 weeks. 

PR and engagement goes a long way. 

13 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Greater clarity on regulations is due imminently but I think the expectation is we will be able to use a mix. We (and Ayr) are likely to have very few available seats though while 2m distancing remains.

I'd say this is a given.

If it's a decision based purely on public health then I don't see how anyone could possibly justify the junior clubs (or whatever they're called now) being permitted to have fans standing when League clubs are not.

12 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Yes and that's all subsequently proven to be utter pish spouted to get the gullible masses onside.

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'd say this is a given.

If it's a decision based purely on public health then I don't see how anyone could possibly justify the junior clubs (or whatever they're called now) being permitted to have fans standing when League clubs are not.

We can have fans standing , what we can’t do at the moment is apply for the sitting capacity on top of the standing capacity, you can only implement one currently , it’s either a sitting event or a standing event and numbers are dictated by that 

Edited by Finlay21

The difference is McCall could talk a player up until you believed that he was a superstar and let's remember for every Shankland there was a Kris Doolan both Kerr and Hopkin are more door character's and don't translate as well in camera would I like a bit more information to excite me for the coming season yes but if there is nothing to say it's a bit of a waste of time a half hour sit down interview.

3 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

The difference is McCall could talk a player up until you believed that he was a superstar and let's remember for every Shankland there was a Kris Doolan both Kerr and Hopkin are more door character's and don't translate as well in camera would I like a bit more information to excite me for the coming season yes but if there is nothing to say it's a bit of a waste of time a half hour sit down interview.

Straight out of the Super Ally school of Management.

17 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

We can have fans standing , what we can’t do at the moment is apply for the sitting capacity on top of the standing capacity, you can only implement one currently , it’s either a sitting event or a standing event and numbers are dictated by that 

Will the NT be getting used then rather than the stand?