The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Made me realise just how bad things were from about 2004 to 2009-ish, with another dip when Roberts was in charge.  Was far more enjoyable thinking about some of the good players we've had in recent years!  

There is a parallel universe where the Roberts side that absolutely horsed a full-strength, Europe-bound Motherwell 4-0 in preseason went on to get promoted twice and is kicking about in the top six to this day, and Anthony Marenghi first went back to der *** and then got signed by Leicester for 11 million quid instead of ending his career at East Kilbride before his thirties.

Edited by Thumper

10 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Well done to the winners , and a specially well done to AUFC1910 for bringing a bit of normality back to the forum 

Nice to see you back @Finlay21. Your last post read a bit like a forum resignation (however temporary).

5 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

This forum is now getting as depressing as SRE ( which I have not visited since the week after Kerr took over )  , enjoy the season when it comes along 

Who is the owner going to start a beef with this week?

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

There is a parallel universe where the Roberts side that absolutely horsed a full-strength, Europe-bound Motherwell 4-0 in preseason went on to get promoted twice and is kicking about in the top six to this day, and Anthony Marenghi first went back to der *** and then got signed by Leicester for 11 million quid instead of ending his career at East Kilbride before his thirties.

That side also drew with Bolton in pre-season didn't they?  I remember thinking that we were going to have a good season...

The low point that season for me was going to Albion Rovers on Boxing Day while I was home for Christmas. Absolutely eye-bleedingly brutal stuff.  

1 minute ago, super_carson said:

That side also drew with Bolton in pre-season didn't they?  I remember thinking that we were going to have a good season...

The low point that season for me was going to Albion Rovers on Boxing Day while I was home for Christmas. Absolutely eye-bleedingly brutal stuff.  

Aye, that's right. I was much the same, it's what stops me getting carried away in pre-season now. I'm amazed Roberts survived that Albion Rovers game. Was he not squaring up to fans?

Just now, Trogdor said:

Aye, that's right. I was much the same, it's what stops me getting carried away in pre-season now. I'm amazed Roberts survived that Albion Rovers game. Was he not squaring up to fans?

I do vaguely remember there being a bit of a shouting match at full time, but I think the actual square-goes were the following season at Cowdenbeath.

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Think that was an away game against Forfar. 

2 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I do vaguely remember there being a bit of a shouting match at full time, but I think the actual square-goes were the following season at Cowdenbeath.

Fair play to anyone who actually stayed at Central Park long enough to give him abuse tbh. Pretty sure I experienced goals 4 and 5 of that aggregate loss from the 12-mile-long walk between the ground and the car park.

Just now, super_carson said:

I can't be certain tbf, I got really scunnered with things under Roberts. I definitely let my season ticket lapse and then picked and chose my games at that point. It was utterly grim. When Lachlan renewed his contract my head almost exploded.

26 minutes ago, wuffster said:

Nice to see you back @Finlay21. Your last post read a bit like a forum resignation (however temporary).

Who is the owner going to start a beef with this week?

Not resigning, just saying to people who were having doubts to enjoy the season when it comes along , there’s a lot worse going on in the world , being depressed before seeing the team play is a worry 

Edited by Finlay21

10 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Fair play to anyone who actually stayed at Central Park long enough to give him abuse tbh. Pretty sure I experienced goals 4 and 5 of that aggregate loss from the 12-mile-long walk between the ground and the car park.

That was my first and only time at Central Park; an absolutely horrible away day.  

9 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I can't be certain tbf, I got really scunnered with things under Roberts. I definitely let my season ticket lapse and then picked and chose my games at that point. It was utterly grim. When Lachlan renewed his contract my head almost exploded.

Yeah I really lost interest as well.  I was living in London at the time, normally I'd make a point of watching highlights, reading reports, social media etc. but I had no inclination to watch it at all.  The following season wasn't much better, the fact we scraped into the play-offs papered over the cracks that became apparent the following season.  

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Are you going to be doing any more? One of the main stand would be epic! 

I was speaking to him yesterday, that is certainly his intention for next portrait, 

3 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

One of Andy walker with the ball chipping over Gordon marshall's heed with the sre going wild in the background would be a best seller .

Great idea indeed.

And the club could auction it at half time of the first derby match next season.

27 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Not resigning, just saying to people who were having doubts to enjoy the season when it comes along , there’s a lot worse going on in the world , being depressed before seeing the team play is a worry 

Aw cmon, just because there is worse going on in the world that means we shouldn’t be allowed to express our dissatisfaction at our transfer business etc so far? It may well all fall in to place and Sean McGinty will look like the Maidstone Baresi however there is warning signs there. 

Aw cmon, just because there is worse going on in the world that means we shouldn’t be allowed to express our dissatisfaction at our transfer business etc so far? It may well all fall in to place and Sean McGinty will look like the Maidstone Baresi however there is warning signs there. 

I think there’s a difference between saying some of our signings (so far) have been shite and then writing off our entire season as a car crash. We’ll still have plenty of players to bring in and if the majority are to the standard that McGinty is then aye we’ll probably be fucked but I just think it’s a tad premature to throw the towel in this early.

I mean it's not entirely impossible that Carlos Tevez might be announced as the new striker, but it's significantly more likely that it's going to be yet another of Hopkin's old flames.

The League Cup starts in less than five weeks. I'm convinced that some of the "too early" crowd still think football doesn't start back up until after the summer holidays.

I think folk need to get over the McGinty signing now. Our season can't be defined by signing him. He may turn out to be useful.....

PR is a marvellous thing,  Gerry McLaughlin signed for Ayr and fans took to him like a cult hero despite him being a liability. Round about the time he signed, AUTV put out a video of Alan Forrests goals, about 8 of them featured Gerry belting out of position and getting done by Forrest. Pettigrew was a "gid Ayr man" but was a liability. 

He isn't a player that is despised by the support and maybe the pressure of trying to impress will be the making of him. 

or he may be shite, who knows, but he needs the chance to prove he's not. 

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

maybe the pressure of trying to impress will be the making of him.

I cannot emphasise this enough: Alex Ferguson purchased this man for Manchester United. The first time he graced Somerset Park's hallowed soil it was in the same team as Paul Pogba.