The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I echo the sentiment about feeling a bit apathetic for the new season. Whilst it will be good to get to Somerset again, I feel it's going to be a slog of a season with discontent. The days of McCall, Shankland, Harvie etc seem like a lifetime ago. I cant even get excited about the Ayrshire derbies. I think a combination of covid rules and regulations, missing my old man and the prospect of a shit squad is just leaving me thinking of jacking it in all together

This forum is now getting as depressing as SRE ( which I have not visited since the week after Kerr took over )  , enjoy the season when it comes along 

Edited by Finlay21

55 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We’re trying to be a different club to what we were under McCall. I think it’s fine having the manger oversee a lot of the clubs operations when you’re part time or start going full time. However there comes a point when it isn’t sustainable and you are better off leaving him in charge of the squad and on the training pitch. It’s going to take a while before we get this club into a proper shape off the pitch and it’ll probably look like the club is in a bit of disarray for the meantime.

Eh? This is the Scottish Championship. There is usually at least one team at this level which isn't even fully professional. The notion that this is some rarefied height that a mere manager can't cope with alone is nonsense: it's by far the most common setup.

If Hopkin is overwhelmed it's because he's been a manager for five (5) years, only two (2) of which were successful (the first two), and even then there's a large body of evidence to suggest that his assistant was the real power behind that team's success.

The one thing McCall had in buckets was the ability to address problems quickly. Imagine being David Hopkin and knowing that everyone associated you most recently with the shower of shite you'd signed for Morton and your priorities being a) signing much of that shite again and b) bringing in a coach best-known for also buying up all Morton's cast-offs.

I can see Smiths point to an extent, if the circumstances were - 

He has made a decision to appoint Hopkin

A club representative is some capacity, who gets a benefit from the club has publicly slated the decision fairly or unfairly, it could be taken as a personal slight.

one bad point of the AU media is the softball questions that managers get, it is fair to slate performances but not individuals if you are employed by the club. 

“we could have defended better” rather than “Jack Baird, why is he so shite?” 

I don’t know the circumstances or the relationship, if any, before this but I think Smith needs to have other people handle things like this.

he appears to have put a great deal of his own money in to the club and wants to run it his own way, but he needs to realise that being a dictator in a football environment rarely goes well 

52 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I think a combination of covid rules and regulations, missing my old man and the prospect of a shit squad is just leaving me thinking of jacking it in all together

Covid is a lot of Rubbish, it's really getting to everyone and we all want it to feck off now. 

The squad might be pants just now but there's still time for Hopkin to get them playing and a couple of new additions. Time will tell but be optimistic 😊👍

Your Father would be very proud with how your going about things, not just with your support of the Super. Don't jack it in though, speak to someone, a family member, a friend or someone in the support industry, just get it out your system because you, my friend, are awesome 👍 Don't you forget that. 

Four Derbies to win, chin up 😁

Bought my season ticket yesterday.

No way am I missing any more games than I need to.

Nobody is getting any younger and everyone has their number - number of games left that they will see in their lifetime.

Not really that bothered at this stage what the team is like - it’s not last seasons team, so that in itself is an improvement.

Seen too many brilliant pre-seasons to then witness a shambles of a league campaign.

Genuinely looking forward to Hamilton, Partick and Killie - home and away.

I’m buzzing for the season to start.

Second jag in 2 weeks so timing is perfect.

P.S. not a happy clapper - just been supporting this team long enough to have witnessed a few shambles

Edited by AUFC 1910

To cheer everyone up - I’m giving away 2 x mounted “Somerset Road End” prints away to our Ayr P&B posters.

All you need to do is post your best and worst ever Ayr players you have seen in the flesh.

I’ll pick winners later tonight and get them posted tomorrow 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

57BFBD18-4D20-4271-BCCB-B743E57C9EB1.jpeg

Edited by AUFC 1910

1 minute ago, AUFC 1910 said:

To cheer everyone up - I’m giving away 2 x mounted “Somerset Road End” prints away to our Ayr P&B posters.

All you need to do is post your best and worst ever Ayr players you have seen in the flesh.

Best  ----  Alain Horace 

Worst ---- Ronnie Yuill

23 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Covid is a lot of Rubbish, it's really getting to everyone and we all want it to feck off now. 

The squad might be pants just now but there's still time for Hopkin to get them playing and a couple of new additions. Time will tell but be optimistic 😊👍

Your Father would be very proud with how your going about things, not just with your support of the Super. Don't jack it in though, speak to someone, a family member, a friend or someone in the support industry, just get it out your system because you, my friend, are awesome 👍 Don't you forget that. 

Four Derbies to win, chin up 😁

I appreciate that. Hopefully once the season starts and we can get in to see the team we'll all be feeling a lot better about things! 

3 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Worst - John Hillcoat. 

Best - Gary Teale. 

Too young to remember any good ones before 99 😅

4 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Well done for doing that, great gesture 👍

4 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Top man

Best by a landslide for me was definitely Shankland. I'm too young to have remembered guys like Sludden, Walker et al. I do have vague memories of Horace being pretty great but was still too young and even the likes of Stevo, Conway etc in their prime I'd argue that Shankland was better, Hurst probably a close second

Worst....BJ Corr has to be up there, but then there's the whole junior jobbers fiasco and then Roberts and his mates...hard to pick haha

6 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Oh that’s a tough one! 

best- Gary teale- always my favourite 

worst- Gary harkins- probably not the worst ever but certainly not what we expected and I hate him with a passion 

11 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Nice one and great to try and lift the mood on here

best: Alain Horrace 

worst: Dean Wordsworth (or something like that, big striker from the stainrod era, drank more pints in the Abbotsford than appearances and goals)

going to cheat a bit and nominate Chris Smith for both: for that header against St Mirren to set up a derby semi-final, and for being physically incapable of playing a football with any part of his body except his head.

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

going to cheat a bit and nominate Chris Smith for both: for that header against St Mirren to set up a derby semi-final, and for being physically incapable of playing a football with any part of his body except his head.

😂😂😂

I’ll pick winners later tonight and get them posted tomorrow [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

57BFBD18-4D20-4271-BCCB-B743E57C9EB1.thumb.jpeg.9aab0b6dc970f3881d3c859761215023.jpeg
Great idea.

Best player for me in terms of effort and heart was Devlin. Not the most gifted of players in terms of ability but a proper captain in difficult circumstances.

Worst could be any number of players really, I remember the lean years from 04 to 09/10, but Kevin Kyle is up there for me in the Robert's era. Just summed up everything about that period, an out of shape panic signing that just didn't seem to be part of any sort of plan.

14 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

What a generous offer! Difficult one. Present day v Early days supporting? I missed most games in arguably our most successsful spell in recent history...

Best - John Sludden Lawrence Shankland (goals! goals! goals! More with the heart than the head.)

Worst - Kevin Kyle (Abject.)