The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I know the Morton boys did say one of the big reason they signed was due to Hopkin however I do find it really strange that other than Moffat who was never going to be leaving and Hewitt and Ecrepont who are both youngsters the rest have chosen to move. Hopkin’s man management maybe not as good as made out. 

The only 2 to turn down offers are McCowan who has gone to a Premiership club ( no matter who was in charge he would have gone ) and a rarely fit Walsh who by all accounts is going back to where he came from ( no big loss ) 

We will but we need far more than the 4 Hopkin was suggesting in the Ayrshire post. 

He hasn’t said we’re only signing 4 players though. He’s said he needs a first choice goalie and striker and alludes to targeting a couple of guys who can cover multiple positions but besides that he’ll know he needs to fill the squad out with other players. He’s hardly going to list all the positions he needs to bring in.

11 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

The only 2 to turn down offers are McCowan who has gone to a Premiership club ( no matter who was in charge he would have gone ) and a rarely fit Walsh who by all accounts is going back to where he came from ( no big loss ) 

Did we not offer Moore and Todd contracts as well?

The luxury of having a manager making signings that made sense early has long since departed, even if we were left hanging on for a centre half and a goalkeeper, McCall made signings that put a lot of fans at ease early on. 

You look at the best players from the league that should be within our grasp, the best players from the bottom end of the premier league we could sign, I am not sure we will be lucky with a lot of them and will maybe have to go in to the unknown. 

35 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Did we not offer Moore and Todd contracts as well?

Moore was a very short term to prove fitness ( so was never going to take it ) Todd was offered but would not be leaving due to Hopkins ( as more or less stated by poster) he signed because he believed in Hopkin 

Edited by Finlay21

5 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Moore was a very short term to prove fitness ( so was never going to take it ) Todd was offered but would not be leaving due to Hopkins ( as more or less stated by poster) he signed because he believed in Hopkin 

Todd hasnt signed though... yet?

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

He hasn’t said we’re only signing 4 players though. He’s said he needs a first choice goalie and striker and alludes to targeting a couple of guys who can cover multiple positions but besides that he’ll know he needs to fill the squad out with other players. He’s hardly going to list all the positions he needs to bring in.

I have absutely no worries that we won't sign enough players.  The manager will get to sign as many as he needs- I'm absolutely certain the new owner in his first close season will back him and that 6 or 7 will come in. 

My worry is WHO we actually end up signing (and going by my bad feeling about it, how much budget is kept back for the new manager in January).   The fact that the 4 signings so far were clearly targeted early and yet don't seem have made us any less shite doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that whoever we pluck from thin air in the next 2 or 3 weeks will be game changers. 

I see on the official Arbroath website they are saying that they anticipate limited numbers in their stadium next season with season ticket holders getting priority, I would expect the same at all grounds. Arbroath have also confirmed that live streaming will continue and this is covered in the cost of the season ticket.

1 hour ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I see on the official Arbroath website they are saying that they anticipate limited numbers in their stadium next season with season ticket holders getting priority, I would expect the same at all grounds. Arbroath have also confirmed that live streaming will continue and this is covered in the cost of the season ticket.

Hope we play them away in games 2 and 4 for the best chance of a day out. 

1 hour ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Aye, I expect most clubs will be caveating it on public health grounds. Streaming being available is useful if you can't make a game (as can happen when life gets in the way). I think in all likelihood we should be able to accommodate our normal attendance come the start of next season. (Unless the vacinnes don't work).

I hope our home games with Killie are in the second and fourth set of fixtures to give us the best chance of getting a full house.

8 hours ago, Hursty said:

I have absutely no worries that we won't sign enough players.  The manager will get to sign as many as he needs- I'm absolutely certain the new owner in his first close season will back him and that 6 or 7 will come in. 

My worry is WHO we actually end up signing (and going by my bad feeling about it, how much budget is kept back for the new manager in January).   The fact that the 4 signings so far were clearly targeted early and yet don't seem have made us any less shite doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that whoever we pluck from thin air in the next 2 or 3 weeks will be game changers. 

I'm pretty sure David Smith didn't appoint Hopkin just a couple of months back on a 2 year deal when he was firmly expecting to have to bag him and bring a new guy in after just 6 months in the job !!

If he did, then I'm surprised / shocked that Ashleigh aren't bankrupt.

I've probably taken this the wrong way round right enough, as i take it you're meaning yo're worried that there will be no budget left come January should the worst happen and we're utter mince ??

Edited by WATTOO

23 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Aye, I expect most clubs will be caveating it on public health grounds. Streaming being available is useful if you can't make a game (as can happen when life gets in the way). I think in all likelihood we should be able to accommodate our normal attendance come the start of next season. (Unless the vacinnes don't work).

I hope our home games with Killie are in the second and fourth set of fixtures to give us the best chance of getting a full house.

Hopefully the virus situation is no longer an issue come the start of the season, however if it follows the previous 2 years and a normal respiratory virus season, then December to March could end up a write off again (rightly or wrongly).

If this is indeed the case, then the lower leagues must surely start to look at changing the fixture calendar and playing Summer football when fans are going to be most likely able to attend.

This would obviously prove problematic for the top leagues due to International commitments but there's certainly no reason why teams at our level and below shouldn't be looking at it.

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

If this is indeed the case, then the lower leagues must surely start to look at changing the fixture calendar and playing Summer football when fans are going to be most likely able to attend.

This would obviously prove problematic for the top leagues due to International commitments but there's certainly no reason why teams at our level and below shouldn't be looking at it.

Just about the best post ever written on here ….

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Hopefully the virus situation is no longer an issue come the start of the season, however if it follows the previous 2 years and a normal respiratory virus season, then December to March could end up a write off again (rightly or wrongly).

Every league in a pyramid needs to play at more or less the same time of year, so it would affect the top tier as well as the rest.

Summer football is a misleading term since the season starts February/March and ends October/November. Added to that, the weather in Scotland is unpredictable at the best of times. I'm not convinced it's the panacea some folk think it is.

5 minutes ago, RedEd said:

Every league in a pyramid needs to play at more or less the same time of year, so it would affect the top tier as well as the rest.

Summer football is a misleading term since the season starts February/March and ends October/November. Added to that, the weather in Scotland is unpredictable at the best of times. I'm not convinced it's the panacea some folk think it is.

In theory we'd play through the best weather May - September, but we could on the flipside end up starting the season with a fixture pile up. It isn't uncommon for us to have severe rainstorms and flash flooding through the summer months as well. On balance it would be better through the mid section of the season for the fans, especially on the North Terrace, but it doesn't really get rid of the fixture pile up issue as November / December are normally dull and grey rather than our more extreme weather months. I'd absolutely love to come down on a Saturday in mid June have a few pints in a beer garden somewhere pre football and end up getting home at 3 in the morning as the sun is coming up after we've ground out a 1-0 against QotS.