The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

^This. Muirhead didn't suddenly turn into a standout from a squad player. The rest of the squad was so abject that he became a standout. 

I think the main reason he stood out is because he was one of the few that actually looked like they gave a f**k most weeks.

1 hour ago, HMIP said:

I’d say Moffat, McCowan, Walsh and Cammy Smith all had disappointing seasons.  Are they all bad players or were they just victims of the lack of balance and cutting edge that drove us into a total malaise?  We’ve lost a few players recently such as Crawford, Forrest, Docherty and Bell with the attitude from some being along the same lines that they are no great loss and can be fairly easily replaced, which they of course haven’t been.  Seems to be the same mentality with McCowan and Walsh.  It’s an attitude that’s going to catch up with us eventually.  Maybe I’ll feel better when we make our next 5 or 6 signings, but I’m not confident.

McCowan and Smith both contributed far more than Walsh did despite not being at their best for the full season. Smith was a big loss and so will McCowan be. Moffat gets a bit more leeway because he’s a club legend and has performed brilliantly in the recent past. We only have Walsh’s one season to go by so it’s natural that plenty won’t be caring much that he’s away.

I’d agree many have taken previous players for granted when they move on but I don’t think that justifies keeping someone who’s shown very little for us. Not forgetting he’s injury prone and likely to be one of the top earners.

This is the team of players we’ve lost over the past three summers , with Aero and a loan of Doohan again , could it have won the league this season ?

Doohan

Smith Aero Rose Harvie 

McCowan Docherty Crawford Forrest

Shankland   Smith 

if only we could have held onto some of those ....

2 hours ago, HMIP said:

I’d say Moffat, McCowan, Walsh and Cammy Smith all had disappointing seasons.  Are they all bad players or were they just victims of the lack of balance and cutting edge that drove us into a total malaise?

There's a significant body of evidence to show why Moffat was sub-par: he was no spring chicken when he was plucked from the juniors in the first place, this is now a decade later, and he's no longer a penalty box assassin. He needs the right partnership and between the lack of personnel and the lack of managerial competence he didn't get it. The big fear right now is that he's going to be expected to carry the team again, as former managers have assumed he's capable of.

To be quite honest, having someone at the club dangle teasers on this thread right now isn't helping. It feels like Roberts mark 2.

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Salkeld doesn’t seem to be replying anyone though. We didn’t really have a player like him last season and he’ll likely be competing with Houston for the RWB spot and, I pray to god it doesn’t come to this, being an emergency option up front.

McGinty is shite. That much is obvious but with Roscoe leaving we probably needed a big, left footed defender to come in and play when needed. No doubt he’ll be a starter but we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. Fjortoft looks to be an upgrade on Baird albeit we’ll likely still have him this season and I don’t really know what to expect from McAllister but out of the four he’s probably the one I’m the most optimistic about going by Dumbarton fans views on him.

Do you not think McAllister will be the 1st choice right wing back? 

That was my reading of his description from the Dumbarton fans. 

9 minutes ago, North British said:

This is the team of players we’ve lost over the past three summers , with Aero and a loan of Doohan again , could it have won the league this season ?

Doohan

Smith Aero Rose Harvie 

Shankland   Smith 

Not forgetting 😍

tapatalk_1564925550085.gif

Doohan
Smith Aero Rose Harvie 
Shankland   Smith 

100%

I’d probably have Kerr in for Docherty but that team would absolutely win this league.

3 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I know the Morton boys did say one of the big reason they signed was due to Hopkin however I do find it really strange that other than Moffat who was never going to be leaving and Hewitt and Ecrepont who are both youngsters the rest have chosen to move. Hopkin’s man management maybe not as good as made out. 

We're only talking Moore, Todd, McCowan and Walsh - it's only McCowan who has turned down a decent contact offer and he's gone to the Premiership. Not that strange, really.

42 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Doohan
Smith Aero Rose Harvie 
Shankland   Smith 

42 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

100%

I’d probably have Kerr in for Docherty but that team would absolutely win this league.

That’s one loan , seven free transfers and three boys from the academy. Just shows you what is possible ,if only we could offer better and longer contacts . At least we should be bringing some money in when they move on .

I’m a fan of Hoppy making the team more direct and physical but some of the guys on here are indeed correct , we must get the balance right . We need some class in amongst the oomph . We’re back to piano lifters and piano players . While I do want a big tough nine , I reckon there is a need for a Forrest and a Kelly to get wins in Hamilton and Kilmarnock.... It’s over to Hoppy and Smithy .

We're only talking Moore, Todd, McCowan and Walsh - it's only McCowan who has turned down a decent contact offer and he's gone to the Premiership. Not that strange, really.

Does that mean Todd has definitely knocked us back?

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

Going by the Ayrshire Post Hopkin is only looking at 3 more players, 1 striker, attacking midfielder and an all round midfielder. Fucking hell....

*Laughs nervously*

Ralph Wiggum Reaction GIF

Either he's already lined up all the other replacements or we're going with a first team pool of 13 next season...........

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

Going by the Ayrshire Post Hopkin is only looking at 3 more players, 1 striker, attacking midfielder and an all round midfielder. Fucking hell....

*Laughs nervously*

Ralph Wiggum Reaction GIF

That just can't be right, we haven't even got a goalkeeper yet. Lazy journalism. 

Reminds me of why I stopped buying the Post. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think the main reason he stood out is because he was one of the few that actually looked like they gave a f**k most weeks.

Aye, its why I don't shed a tear for any of them leaving (other than Luke but he had to step up now or it wasn't happening). I still think we've retained far too many losers in truth. 

6 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

That just can't be right, we haven't even got a goalkeeper yet. Lazy journalism. 

Reminds me of why I stopped buying the Post. 

Looking at what he did at Morton it isn't that far fetched.

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Does that mean Todd has definitely knocked us back?

Todd's a strange one, he tried for us right enough which is more than some others I could mention, although I can't say I'm in any way upset that he hasn't re-signed as only played a few games and other than his goal at Inverness just seemed mediocre at best, plus looked a tad overweight if truth be told.

I'd have thought he'd have bitten our hands off for a contract but maybe got a gig at the likes of Queens lined up ???

4 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Just as well the Hub and derbies are back next season because this team so far has left me whelmed at best.

Looks solid defensively but f**k all upfront, can see many 0-0 next season.....