The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 hours ago, Hursty said:

I have to say - id much rather we were going for a youngster on loan again.  Is someone 'experienced' from down South and prepared to up sticks and move up here on a permanent level on the wages we pay realistically going to be even close to the ability of Doohan or Sinisalo? I have serious doubts.   

Agreed although Hopkin was quoted as saying “I think it’s important that we get a keeper who is our player." so it doesn't seem he agrees.

Also FWIW until last night I didn't know who Ryan Boot and Sam Johnson were and have no idea how good either are. However from the list of National League keepers both of them were previously at Port Vale. That is one of Timmins former clubs and I'm sure he signed Ramsbottom for Morton on the basis they'd worked together at Tranmere 

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

The different spelling of the name probably let your joke down a bit,

Since when have Ayr fans paid any attention to how a name is actually spelled??

David Hopkins, Luke McGowan etc etc 

8 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

Since when have Ayr fans paid any attention to how a name is actually spelled??

David Hopkins, Luke McGowan etc etc 

Scott McLaughlin was always the best one for it. 

2 hours ago, HMIP said:

Wasn’t McCowan on a 3 year contract?  The problem as far as I can see is that McCall didn’t blend him into the first team at a young enough age despite his obvious ability, so by the time we did and his potential became obvious, he was too far into his contract and was never going to renew.  If we believe enough in a young player to hand them a multi year contract, we have to commit to giving them a chance otherwise we’ll keep getting stung like this. 

It probably didn't help that under McCall the club was looking at playoffs at the other end of the table. If I were McCowan I wouldn't have lost much sleep over the impending expiry of my contract as this season progressed.