The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m sure Conway might be interested in a possible return to the club but would Hopkin have him? He’d fit the mould of “winners” that he wants to bring to the club but unless we lose Walsh, Todd or McCowan I don’t know how much work Hopkin will do to bring attacking midfielders/wingers to the club.

We heard you the first time D'Jaffo

20 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m sure Conway might be interested in a possible return to the club but would Hopkin have him? He’d fit the mould of “winners” that he wants to bring to the club but unless we lose Walsh, Todd or McCowan I don’t know how much work Hopkin will do to bring attacking midfielders/wingers to the club.

I think his game has evolved, he strikes me more as an all round midfielder nowadays, possibly more like a rich mans Chalmers and also someone who isn't afraid to put in a tackle if need be.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I think his game has evolved, he strikes me more as an all round midfielder nowadays, possibly more like a rich mans Chalmers and also someone who isn't afraid to put in a tackle if need be.

He's absolutely not a CM based on his time with us.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's absolutely not a CM based on his time with us.

Neither is Chalmers, we don't actually have any sort of formation as such and the players all just seem to be "knocking around", hopefully this is something Hopkin can deal with. But I'd far rather Craig Conway "knocking around" as some of the guys we have currently !!!

4 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’d fit the mould of “winners” that he wants to bring to the club but unless we lose Walsh, Todd or McCowan I don’t know how much work Hopkin will do to bring attacking midfielders/wingers to the club.

He signed about ten of them last summer. 

I'd be delighted with conway. He's shown some good flashes for saints in the Premier league this season and I'm sure dropping down a level would improve his game.

Loads of know-how and probably a great role model for any of our youngsters.

Oh for a Steven Bell and Andy Geoghan or a Michael Rose - a steadying influence and a harsh word when one is needed. We need players like that who can go up a gear when it's necessary. The trick is finding them and getting them integrated with the rest of the squad such that their message on the park is clear and unequivocal every week. It's what we've missed all season.

12 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Adds a lot of experience and a level head, even just for a season 😊

The "older" players seem to be the ones who are playing the starring roles at clubs not only around this country but around the globe, maybe that says something about the quality (or lack of) that's been coming through over the last few years ???

Conway still stays in Chorley and did an interview the other week saying being away from his kids is tough. If he does leave St Johnstone he might end up somewhere like Flyde if he's not wanting to move back to Scotland permanently.

I'd take him though but think the first few signings might give us a better idea what formation will be Hopkin's preferred cause right now it's hard to say if it will be wing-backs or wingers. 

27 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Conway still stays in Chorley and did an interview the other week saying being away from his kids is tough. If he does leave St Johnstone he might end up somewhere like Flyde if he's not wanting to move back to Scotland permanently.

I'd take him though but think the first few signings might give us a better idea what formation will be Hopkin's preferred cause right now it's hard to say if it will be wing-backs or wingers. 

Good point, it's unlikely he'd uproot his family just so he could play out his final year as a pro at Ayr, maybe if circumstances had been different or he fancied moving back to Ayrshire then that would have happened, but as you say, it's more likely he'd finish up closer to the family home.

Wee update on Nicky Devlin for you lads. We're having our POTY awards tonight and he's won 3/3 POTY awards so far :D He's had a belter of a season after a shite injury ridden season before

10 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Wee update on Nicky Devlin for you lads. We're having our POTY awards tonight and he's won 3/3 POTY awards so far :D He's had a belter of a season after a shite injury ridden season before

Great to see. A very good player and a top man. Can’t wait till he’s back playing for the Super 

Impressed with Ross Forbes tonight Goode experienced pro, his assists for goals must be right up there, was  high when he played for Morton, I know Hopkin thought the team lacked experience so he would fit the bill maybe
He must have a decent job surely? Mental he's PT and playing at that level tbh.

He must have a decent job surely? Mental he's PT and playing at that level tbh.

Pretty sure he was given a job on the railways as part of the agreement for him joining Dumbarton.

Hopefully we do what we did last summer and just announce all the guys we’ve retained in one day instead of dragging it all out and then fully focus on bringing new guys in.

13 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Pretty sure he was given a job on the railways as part of the agreement for him joining Dumbarton.

My mate was his Boss when he played for Motherwell, think he was on the Bathgate job. He did say he was a really nice guy and probably never got close to fulfilling the undoubted potential that he had. I also remember Craig Brown raving about him when he was just breaking through.