The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

It's debatable what is the better approach. Hopkin has already said as much wrt. players on 2 year deals. Either that or I maybe read too much into what he said a few weeks back.
Has Walsh been offered a contract? Does anyone know?
I just think the list makes for brutal reading, maybe that's playing a part here in my thinking.

We have retained the vast majority of the squad which mustered barely more than 1 point per game. Recruitment is going have to be bang on to get better results out of these players. 

Hopkin said something along the lines of that there’s guys on 2 year deals who think they are safe but that isn’t the case. Looking back it was probably just a word of warning and also to give guys like Baird and Houston a kick up the arse.

The list doesn’t look great because there were more culprits that just Roscoe and Zanatta but they were the only ones on one year deals that had to go. We could maybe have waited another couple of weeks to see if we can negotiate the releases of some guys but I think folk would just moan and say the club weren’t communicating with us. From that statement the club have clearly left the door open for some guys to leave without explicitly saying “we are looking to get shot of some of these shitebags”.

7 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Getting boring now  you stated club should put out a statement saying 2 year deal contract are under discussion , not very professional , 

You seemed to backtrack on the backtrack comment here. 🤣

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

From that statement the club have clearly left the door open for some guys to leave without explicitly saying “we are looking to get shot of some of these shitebags”.

I'm maybe inferring too much into the 'are all under contract for next season.' I hope you're right because we cannot rely on the same guys in the middle of the park.

Kerr said it himself just before he left that he should have played himself more. Muirhead has done a job there but it's more as a shitfest. I'd rather move Muirhead back to centre half and get a proper ball winner in there.

To be fair the statement only says they’re under contract, my first reaction was that that meant they’d all be back. How many times though have you read ‘been told to find another club’ or ‘frozen out’ no mention of constructive dismissal. I don’t see how Hopkin can know how much game time anyone will be getting given the status of the squad, unless he wants rid.

We need a new signing to talk about.....

Chalmers is a square peg in a round hole , but Hopkins does seem to like him . Maybe he can be carried by ten grafters ! Interesting few weeks coming up .

He is but in the last couple of games he came back in and looked like he actually understood the role he was meant to be playing in.
He was man of the match at ICT and set pieces aside looked far better in those 2 games than he had under Kerr.
Most of our limited forward play started through him.

If the only experience I'd had of watching Moffat, McCowan and Murdoch  was last season, then I'd probably want the three of them punted along with the rest.

I'd say that speaks volumes and maybe gives a lifeline to guys like Baird, Chalmers and Walsh who have all performed well at other clubs and it could be argued have shown that they're more than capable at a higher level than where we are currently. So basically what I'm saying is that last season was making everyone look poor, whether that was through tactics, the pitch, lack of confidence, lack of leadership, dressing room issues or a combination of the lot.

Jury still out on Houston for me as well and both Miller and Todd look like capable squad players at least, McKenzie is promising but certainly not the finished article and has much still to learn including adding goals consistently to his game.

Whatever happens the close season should be interesting if nothing else.

On 07/05/2021 at 15:35, Brashy's Boots said:

As a Raith supporter, the sight of John Sludden at Stark's Park used to fill me with dread. He always seemed to score 2 against us, although that may be the mists of time. If the opposition dread you running out at 3pm, you must be doing something very right. Commiserations.

Sludden was a great forward and although he played for a few clubs, he'll always be synonymous with Ayr United. 

That was a great era in Scottish football - long before all this bollocks of one up front and false nines. Virtually every club seemed to have a twenty plus goals a season centre forward - 

Sludden at Ayr, Dalziel at the Rovers, Colin McGlashan at Clyde, Rowan Alexander at Morton, Ken Eadie at Clydebank, Kenny MacDonald at Forfar, Owen Coyle at Airdrie.... the list goes on. 

Absolutely terrible news about John Sludden. Condolences to his family. 

For some light relief try the Montrose Morton highlights. Highlights for me were Fjortoft falling on his arse and Ledger getting stuck in treacle before turning like a Thames barge (may have these names wrong). Couple of quality goals mind.

1 hour ago, bazka6 said:

For some light relief try the Montrose Morton highlights. Highlights for me were Fjortoft falling on his arse and Ledger getting stuck in treacle before turning like a Thames barge (may have these names wrong). Couple of quality goals mind.

Let's hope we don't sign any of them then !!

Although Fjortoft would be good at the interviews and PR stuff to be fair.

Hello ayr fans [emoji112]
Saw this on Twitter. Here's what you could have won...

He’s an absolute nutter.

Would love to see a club up here take a punt on him just to see how much of a mess he’d make of it.

Did he not say something absolutely wild recently on Twitter?  He might just be a Covid denier or something, but it was a horrendous take.

Did he not say something absolutely wild recently on Twitter?  He might just be a Covid denier or something, but it was a horrendous take.
He was getting abuse of some mouthpiece on twitter. He paid someone a grand to get his address and turned up at the boy's door. He's also notoriously staunch. I'm sure their support completely lap him up.

6 minutes ago, placidcasual said:
31 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

He was getting abuse of some mouthpiece on twitter. He paid someone a grand to get his address and turned up at the boy's door. He's also notoriously staunch. I'm sure their support completely lap him up.

Sounds like a pleasant individual.  Did he not give boxing a go at one point?

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Sounds like a pleasant individual.  Did he not give boxing a go at one point?

He did. Held a couple of titles as well. It appears he is no stranger to the Constabulary either.

Edited by RedEd

7 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Hello ayr fans 👋

Saw this on Twitter. Here's what you could have won...

It should have been "lower average attendances" and "fewer points". It's little surprise that he didn't get a response.