The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

34 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I'd suspect anyone they might be looking to offload may be told they can find a new club, and as and when they do it'll announced. Surely few players at this level would be happy to shitebag it and run down a contract without any game time.

Not sure how many that may apply to. Going by the end of the season, Murdoch's limited minutes may suggest Hopkik doesnt fancy him. But then again, Murdoch is a good player that was coming back from a horrible injury. Houston played quite a bit towards the end of the season and may improve, Reading was much better as well. Chalmers maybe?

Yeah I doubt many would be happy to run their deal down. If they got a two year deal elsewhere it’s possibly a pay rise and an extra year security. Can’t imagine many players were happy with last season and some won’t like Hopkins style of play. Would expect a few to move on and Zannatta has proven other teams will be interested 

Edited by AyrExile

Illegal my a—-  Red they negotiated a two year deal last year what business rewards failure none that I know club would be well within there rights. Division that’s a laugh if Hopkin gets it right the ones he wants away won’t kick a ball and warm the bench so they’ll no be happy and moaning , there agents will have them out as quick as.

1 minute ago, Lochwood said:

Illegal my a—-  Red they negotiated a two year deal last year what business rewards failure none that I know club would be well within there rights. Division that’s a laugh if Hopkin gets it right the ones he wants away won’t kick a ball and warm the bench so they’ll no be happy and moaning , there agents will have them out as quick as.

Read the last few words of my post - "depending on the contract".  If the agreed terms state that the player is entitled to an increase then that has to be honoured, unless there is some sort of get out clause.  To do otherwise would at the very least cause reputational damage, perhaps making it more difficult to attract new player. It might also end up in the courts, with the chances of the player winning being far greater than Tiffoney's a couple of years ago. Contracts exist for a reason.

With players being released and a couple of loans going back to their parent clubs and also with the possibility of maybe one or two under contract players leaving then I think there is still plenty of scope for Hopkin to put his own mark on things. As it stands I’d say Reading, Muirhead and McCowan (if he stays) will be starters and potentially Todd if he signs on permanently. I think also one of Chalmers and Murdoch will end up starting most matches but that’s about it.

Hypothetically an eleven not to dissimilar to below , in a 5-3-2....

1. Scott Fox

2. Jordon Houston  

3. Paddy Reading

4. Aero 

5. Alan Lithgow cpt

6.  Jack Baird 

7. Josh Todd

8. Kyle Jacobs 

9. Inness Cameron 

10. Craig Moore/ Mark McKenzie 

11. Nicky Cadden 

McCowan is a difficult one to evaluate, as an individual he's got bags of talent and in the side which featured Moffat (at his best), Forrest, Moore and Kelly / Doc etc, he linked up brilliantly and looked a real star, however last season when our style changed he did very little to influence the games and didn't score enough goals or create enough for others while still showing the odd flash of individual brilliance of course so in the future Hopkin setup the jury is out for me.

If Walsh re-signs he's going to have to get more involved and impose himself on games as the guy has talent but just wasn't showing it for us last year at all, so another one I would take it or leave it.

Looking at what played for us and what was turning out for opponents last season, I believe Moore could be a real star given the dearth of talent so really hope he re-signs and keeps injury free.

Priorities for me remain a solid Goalkeeper (Doohan preferably) , a hard man in the middle of the park, a dominating CH, a playmaker and a striker who can put himself around.

Presuming everyone offered a contract re-signs then that’ll take us to a squad of 15.  I suspect Hewitt, Ecrepont and Smith may go out on loan so that takes us to 12. The ideal squad number at this level is probably 21 so we’re looking at 9 players coming in.

2x GK’s 

2x CB

Fullback

Centre Mid

Winger 

2 strikers 

32 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Presuming everyone offered a contract re-signs then that’ll take us to a squad of 15.  I suspect Hewitt, Ecrepont and Smith may go out on loan so that takes us to 12. The ideal squad number at this level is probably 21 so we’re looking at 9 players coming in.

2x GK’s 

2x CB

Fullback

Centre Mid

Winger 

2 strikers 

I would think 2 midfielders and 1 goalkeeper , likely have a younger goalkeeper on bench with the option to get a loanee if first choice gets injured 

1 hour ago, Robbo63 said:

I would think 2 midfielders and 1 goalkeeper , likely have a younger goalkeeper on bench with the option to get a loanee if first choice gets injured 

Agree - we have seen how easy it is to get a loan keeper on short notice.  Would love the keeper to be someone young but with a bit of experience on a 2 year deal - Doohan keeps getting mentioned but he is still under contract at Celtic I think? McAdams off Morton if they go down surely seems perfect for a 2 year deal although may have better options.   Certainly something like that. 

2 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

2x GK’s 

2x CB

Fullback

Centre Mid

Winger 

2 strikers 

We're not going to sign 2 strikers if we've already got Moore, Moffatt and McKenzie signed up, will probably be another 1 

Here, did folk really think the players who have a year left were going to agree to cancel their contract in May without another deal lined up somewhere else? :lol:

I’m sure Hopkin will have said to who he may be happy to let go that they can pursue a contract somewhere else and leave on a free if they agree terms elsewhere. 

Eh no, expected them to be told to find another club as they wouldn’t be playing. It had been suggested pretty much since Hopkin started that even those players on 2yrs weren’t safe. Clearly motivational pish.

17 minutes ago, bazka6 said:

Eh no, expected them to be told to find another club as they wouldn’t be playing. It had been suggested pretty much since Hopkin started that even those players on 2yrs weren’t safe. Clearly motivational pish.

The club can’t and shouldn’t put on a public platform that X, Y and Z have been told to f**k off and then a month or 2 down the line, can’t get a new club and are completely out the picture. Unless we were to front up a years wages, they won’t be away without an offer from another club. Hopkins hands are tied in that respect. 

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

The club can’t and shouldn’t put on a public platform that X, Y and Z have been told to f**k off and then a month or 2 down the line, can’t get a new club and are completely out the picture. Unless we were to front up a years wages, they won’t be away without an offer from another club. Hopkins hands are tied in that respect. 

Agree, however, they could have put on the press release that discussions are ongoing with players under contract. That leaves it open. As far as it goes, it reads like they are all staying. This may not be the case but I'm with bazka6, it reads that way.

Also, I dunno where you are getting that anyone suggested the club release them and pay up their contract? Can you quote it as you are the second person to suggest this and I've not read anyone actually propose it on here.

11 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Agree, however, they could have put on the press release that discussions are ongoing with players under contract. That leaves it open. As far as it goes, it reads like they are all staying. This may not be the case but I'm with bazka6, it reads that way.

Also, I dunno where you are getting that anyone suggested the club release them and pay up their contract? Can you quote it as you are the second person to suggest this and I've not read anyone actually propose it on here.

It’s not quoted directly, however if you’re wanting someone released a year into their 2 year contract, you are contractually obliged to pay the remaining year up, unless there was a clause stating otherwise. I would imagine over the next month or so we may see movement out, but unless there are clubs willing to take these players on, financially it would be stupid to let them go. 

25 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

It’s not quoted directly, however if you’re wanting someone released a year into their 2 year contract, you are contractually obliged to pay the remaining year up, unless there was a clause stating otherwise. I would imagine over the next month or so we may see movement out, but unless there are clubs willing to take these players on, financially it would be stupid to let them go. 

Wanting someone out the club doesn't mean releasing them, though. In fact, a couple of posters have actually said they'd rather have them sitting on the bench or training with the reserves than release them. 

Look at Harkins when he got shipped out, Morton took him off our hands. Given how abject he was that season I'm confident there will be homes for those told to find a new club (if this has even happened).

Edited by Trogdor

Cant understand why people are getting hot under the collar regarding the 2 year contracts saying club should issue statements etc on what they have been told , why should the club divulge into a players personal contract , the individual players will have been told the amount of game time they can expect to play and it’s up to them if they want to accept that or look for another club , I would have thought a couple would have had a word in their ear by Hopkin

I’d think of the two year deal boys only Chalmers would seem out of place in the Hoppy dynamic that is inbound .  We know he likes Baird , but we also know Baird requires on field management.  Curious that he has over 150 games for St Mirren under his belt . Aero gets a tic from Hoppy , I’d imagine the full backs do too . Miller is one of his old boys and can cover right back .

Kind of leaves you with Chalmers and Murdock . It would be horrible to see Murdock squeezed out , but it’s a dog eat cat world .  Chalmers is a square peg in a round hole , but Hopkins does seem to like him . Maybe he can be carried by ten grafters ! Interesting few weeks coming up .

4 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Cant understand why people are getting hot under the collar regarding the 2 year contracts saying club should issue statements etc on what they have been told , why should the club divulge into a players personal contract , the individual players will have been told the amount of game time they can expect to play and it’s up to them if they want to accept that or look for another club , I would have thought a couple would have had a word in their ear by Hopkin

Exactly I'm sure Hopkin has some idea which players will be regulars next season but until signings are made he can't be certain. He could miss out on some targets and the alternatives are no better than Murdoch for example.

Also only the club knows how much players are on and whether based on the playing time they'll receive it's better to try and move them on or if it's a suitable amount for a squad player.

17 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

You are being totally disingenuous here.

No-one has said the club should issue a statement on what the players have been told. Can you quote it?

No-one has asked for players contracts to be divulged. Can you quote it?

You are resorting to making stuff up now.